Free Consultation: (503) 567-9617Tap to Call This Lawyer
Matthew Abts

Matthew Abts

  • Business Law
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

Matthew Abts helps small business owners and want-to-be owners achieve their dreams, whether it's extra part-time income, a full-time business, or an independent lifestyle. He has low, flat-fees for business formation, copyright, trademark, and contract drafting.

Matthew also works with independent artists to protect their creative works, and is a supporter of the Lawyers for the Arts movement.

Practice Area
  • Business Law
  • Free Consultation
    Free consultation for established clients.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Company formation: $150, Copyright $45, Copyright Enforcement from $50, Trademark $100/$500 (State/Federal), Contracts average $50-200 (depending on length and complexity), Litigation from $100/hr. See website for current rates.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
4 Questions Answered

Q. What should I bring to court to fight a post judgement status quo
A: Dear Questioner, You're going to need to show that what you're doing is in the best interest of the child. This means presenting evidence to the court. A third-party neutral witness would be best, such as a teacher or someone else who can tell why your new situation is better. If it's an issue with money & private school tuition fees, you'll need to show the court how your financial situation is changed and why you can no longer do things the way you were (lost your job, etc . . .). I'd really recommend you hire a family law attorney. Take care, -Matthew
Q. My landlord demolished my home that i owned without my consent,when there was still my familys belonging in it.what todo
A: Dear Questioner, Wow, that's awful. Here in Oregon we have protections for renter's property within certain time limits. There are things your landlord had to do with your stuff that maybe wasn't done in your case. We also often allow you to claim attorney's fees in court for these kinds of cases -- in other words, you can win and the other side pays your attorney. Because of this, many landlord/tenant attorneys will take a case "on contingency". Call the Oregon State Bar referral service and find a "landlord/tenant" attorney who offers "free consultation" (in other words, one who won't charge you money to listen to the details of your story and decide if you have a good case), and who will work "on contingency". Feel free to call several attorneys to "shop around". Take care, -Matthew
Q. Can you refuse arbitration?
A: Dear Questioner, First, it depends on whether you are dealing with court-ordered arbitration, or with arbitration in a contract of some sort. Many contracts call for arbitration to resolve disputes. If your contract calls for it, it is mandatory if it is a well-written contract. If you went to court instead, the judge would order you back to arbitration, possibly with penalty fees (paying the other side's attorney costs, etc . . .). If a court procedural arbitration (you filed a case in court, and then received notice about having an arbitration hearing), you should know that many courts have MANDATORY arbitration for legal issues -- you have to go to arbitration before you can go to court. If this is the case in your situation, you will go to a hearing before an arbitrator and have a "mini-trial" at a conference table. It will be much more informal that actual court. You'll be able to present evidence without all the tricky legal rules for presenting in court. The arbitrator will look at everything, here everyone's argument, and make a ruling about how the arbitrator thinks the case should be resolved. If you don't think the arbitrator's ruling is fair, you can "appeal" it to the court and have an actual trial. But beware! In some arbitration-oriented courts, if you refuse a fair offer by the arbitrator and don't "beat it" in court (receive better than the arbitration award), there could be some penalties. In contract-arbitration, the arbitrator's award is usually final. The judgment is likely to be enforced by the court. So, yes, whether contractual or court-procedural, the arbitration may be mandatory. You can retain an attorney for the arbitration. Take care, -Matthew
Q. Why is my husband being denied a lawyer?
A: Dear Questioner, This is not my specialty area, so I'm only going to give you a general understanding of some legal basics. You should call the Oregon Star Bar modest means programs for a referral to an affordable attorney (link below). Unfortunately there is a difference between probation and parole. Probation is when a judge decides that you can do something in lieu of going to jail, and signs an order telling you what your probation will be (often community service is involved). Parole is when you are released early from jail. You can receive a probono attorney on a probation matter if you meet the financial qualifications. If the court decides you have enough money to pay for your own attorney, you will not be given one. Here, it sounds like your husband was let out of jail early and then left the area. It's possible that he will now need to return to jail to serve out the remainder of his sentence. If this is parole and not probation, there is no right to a court-appointed attorney, regardless of your financial situation. You can, however, retain an attorney. The Oregon State Bar has a "modest means" program with attorneys that have capped fees. You should apply for a referral to the program. The prison is REQUIRED to provide adequate medical care for your husband. You are going to need to fully document his health problems and needs. Your doctor should write out the required treatment and emphasize that it is critical he receive the proper medication. I'm not familiar with the proper procedure for notifying your local jail of your medical needs. I recommend you call the Department of Corrections Health Services Division at 503-378-5593, and ask for the proper procedure for your local jail. Take care, -Matthew
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Abts Law LLC
Box 42582
Portland, OR 97242
Voice-Mail: (503) 567-9617