Mary Katherine Brown

Mary Katherine Brown

  • Business Law, Divorce, Elder Law ...
  • EDNY, New York, SDNY
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A
Practice Areas
    Business Law
    Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Elder Law
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Medical Malpractice
    Birth Injury, Medical Misdiagnosis, Pharmacy Errors, Surgical Errors
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
New York Law School
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
New York State Bar  # 3053055
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Legal Answers
5 Questions Answered
Q. In N.Y., can a parent deny visitation between the grandparent ane the minor children of the parent?
A: Yes, unless there is a court order specifically stating they cannot.
Q. How do i sign over my parental right of my child to his mother.
A: As you may know by now, you cannot simply "sign over" a child to another person. In New York, a parent may voluntarily terminated their rights in certain situations where an "involuntary" termination is possible, but a voluntary one is just easier. Otherwise, if there is another adult that wants to adopt the child, the biological parent MAY be allowed by the court to voluntarily terminate their rights so the adoption may proceed. Each circumstance is different, and your best option is to consult with a local attorney before you take any further action. Good luck!
Q. I am 25, my girlfriend is 17. I have my own apartment. Is she able to run away, TO me legally? Will she be forced home?
A: It is hard to answer your question because in New York, the age of consent is 17, but the age of majority is 21, and an otherwise competent 18 year old is considered legally responsible. She can become "emancipated" prior to age 18, which means she is no longer in the custody and control of her parents, but there is no specific "process" for that; however, New York Law recognizes the status of emancipation and the rights of emancipated minors. To determine whether a young person is emancipated, the following factors are critical:

The youth must be living apart from his/her parents;

The youth must be self supporting (may be receiving public benefits or child support if required by court order);

The youth is not in need/receipt of foster care;

The youth is living beyond the custody and control of the parent;

The youth is over the age of 16.

You can browse around the following website for more information:

Good luck!
... Read More
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Law Office of Mary Katherine Brown
17 Battery Place
Suite 711
New York, NY 10004
Telephone: (855) 579-6552
Law Office of Mary Katherine Brown
147 Prince Street
Suite 24
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Telephone: (718) 878-6886
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.