Free Consultation: (614) 855-3126Tap to Call This Lawyer
Mary Ellen Leslie Esq.

Mary Ellen Leslie Esq.

Mary Ellen Leslie & Associates, LLC
  • Divorce, Elder Law, Estate Planning...
  • Ohio
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII BronzeSocial Media
Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Elder Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Family Law
  • Probate
  • Social Security Disability
Additional Practice Area
  • Public Benefits
  • Free Consultation
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. Supreme Court
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
University of Akron
Graduate Certificate in Gerontology
University of Akron Logo
University of Akron School of Law
J.D. (2001)
University of Akron School of Law Logo
Capital University
B.A. (1997)
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
Ohio State Bar
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Akron Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Medina County Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
National Association of Elder Law Attorneys
Placeholder image for professional associations.
International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Northeast Collaborative Professionals
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Mary Ellen Leslie's Website Profile
Mary Ellen Leslie & Associates, LLC Website
Legal Answers
9 Questions Answered

Q. I own my home, I filed a paper of transfer the ownership to my husband upon my death.
A: If your deed is a "joint with right of survival" deed with your husband, h the ownership will transfer to him upon your death. If you have to go into a nursing home, on Medicaid, your home would be a "protected asset" so long as your husband continued to live there. Whoever is named as an agent on your Health Care Power of Attorney, your agent would be able to advocate for your remaining in hospice, if that were your wish, and you otherwise met the qualifications for hospice care.
Q. Can an executor of the estate sell the house of the deceased without filing the will in Probate Court?
A: It would depend upon who is the owner of the property. If your grandmother has no ownership interest in the property, then it would not have to pass through probate. Was you grandfather's estate probated, because your grandmother would have been able to assert her spousal interest at that time.
Q. Does Medicaid have interest or look back in the people in your household.
A: Everyone who receives Medicaid will have their finances renewed annually. With the exception of spouses, each individual is reviewed individually, so your finances would not be considered in a review of your brother’s.
Q. What can a family member do to get a Will probated when another family member insists there isn’t one?
A: I would suggest presenting the copy of the will to be admitted, with an explanation for why the copy is being presented. The individual with possession of the original would then have to present it for admission, or not object to the admission of the copy. On the other hand, a probate attorney would be able to advise on probating the estate without the will - intestate succession may divide the assets equally among the three siblings anyway, if there is no spouse.
Q. My mother's name is the only one on the deed for a property that we need to sell. There was no will. How do we proceed?
A: If your Mother's name is the only name on the deed, you will have to open an estate, then have the executor get permission from the Court to put it up for sale.
Q. After approval of inventory in an estate,what happens next? What exactly does that mean?
A: The approval of the inventory means that the court has approved the assets that the executor has identified. Then, after administrative costs and claims have been paid, the remainder is distributed to the beneficiaries/heirs, and an account is submitted to the court for approval, before the estate can be closed.
Q. My husband passed away in may 2019 and im just trying to figure out what i need to do?
A: The answer will vary based upon the state in which you live. Hire a probate attorney in your state to learn how to transfer the assets.
Q. Mother in law died last year & house transferred on death to her spouse. Spouse died in April & house transferred to my
A: If the spouse was on Medicaid, the State, in all likelihood, will have put a lien on the property, which would have to be paid from the sale proceeds. If the spouse was not on Medicaid, any and all medical bills will ave to be paid.
Q. Where can I get a pro bono. Lawyer to look at my case to see if i have grounds
A: If you call me at (614)855-3126, I will be happy to discuss your case with you.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Mary Ellen Leslie & Associates, LLC
New Albany, OH
28 Keswick Dr
New Albany, OH 43054
Telephone: (614) 855-3126
Cell: (330) 697-8268