MARVIN CHAMPLIN PROFESSIONAL SUMMARY
Licensed Texas Attorney April 1973, State Bar of Texas No. 04086500 (AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell and In Good Standing); Certified Attorney Ad Litem/Guardian Ad Litem in Probate Matters by the State Bar of Texas
Law, Snakard & Gambill, P.C., Fort Worth, Texas February 1973 - February 1991 (Associate Attorney, 1973-77; Shareholder/Partner, 1977-91)
RadioShack (formerly Tandy) Corporation, Fort Worth, Texas February 1991 - August 2001 (Staff Attorney, 1991-93; General Corporate Counsel and Manager of Corporate Law Section, 1993-98; Director, Year 2000 Readiness Project, 1998-2000; Senior Director, Corporate Compliance & Risk Management Department, 2000-01)
Champlin Law Firm, Fort Worth, Texas September 2001 - Present (Solo Practitioner)
Selected Examples of Legal/Business Experience (By Area)
General Business Law and Transactions: Business Entity Formation, Governance and Successor Planning. OEM Agreements. Vendor/Reseller, Supply and Service Contract Negotiation and Drafting. Employment Agreements. Commercial and Residential Real Estate. Construction Contracts. Insurance Company, Broker and Agent Transactions. Texas Land Title Insurance, Incl. Defense. UCC. State and Federal Litigation. Personal Injury Insurance Defense (Automobile Policies).
Complex Business Transactions and Projects: Divestitures. Acquisitions. New Business Ventures and Startups. Strategic Alliances. International Distributorship Agreements. Enterprise-Wide Project Planning, Creation, Implementation.
Regulated Business Affairs: Internet and Mail Order Sales. Product Safety. Advertising, Marketing and Warranty Issues. Environmental Health and Safety Issues, Including Audits. Federal and State Trade Regulation. Dealer and Distributorship Agreements and Issues. Hart Scott Rodino Merger Analysis and Filings.
Corporate Compliance: Identification of Director and Officer Responsibilities. Assessment of Legal and Ethical Risks. Drafting of Legal and Ethical Business Conduct Policies. Program Formation. Program Implementation Including Education, Training and Monitoring.
Risk Management: Property, Casualty and Liability Insurance. Loss Prevention, Control, and Response. Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity Planning.
Personal Estates: Wills and Trusts, Including Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts, and Related Planning Documents. Probate (Including Independent Administration and Muniment of Title).
J.D. with Honors (Law Review, Order of the Coif) 1972, Texas Tech University - Lubbock, Texas
B.A. English 1970, Texas Tech University - Lubbock, Texas
Special Business and Professional Development
4 Roles of Leadership (Principle-Centered Leadership), Covey Institute
Retail Store Manager Training Program Certificate, In-House Corporate University
Risk Management, Claims Management, and Fundamentals of Insurance Training, Risk and Insurance Managers Society
Atticus and Texas Bar Association Professional Law Practice Management Programs
Professional and Community Memberships
American, Texas and Tarrant County Bar Associations
Tarrant Bar Foundation and Texas Bar Foundation Life Fellow
College of the State Bar of Texas
Leadership Fort Worth
Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce, Gold Member
Rotary Club of Fort Worth
Board of Trustees, Fort Worth Police Officers Awards Foundation (RetÃ¢d May 2008; 20 Years Service)
Board of Trustees and Elder, St. Stephen Presbyterian Church
Moslah Shrine Temple, Supporting ShrinerÃ¢s Hospitals for Children
U.S. Army 1967-1969 (Infantry Staff Sergeant; Decorated Combat Service in Vietnam with 1st Infantry Division; Honorable Discharge)
- Business Law
- Environmental Law
- Estate Planning
- Landlord Tenant
- General Civil
- Attorney and Counselor at Law
- Champlin Law Firm
- - Current
- At present, I am a sole practitioner. My primary practice focus is on: Business organizations, contracts and transactions, and succession planning; Wills, trusts and probate; Commercial and residential real estate transactions; Collections, selected business litigation, and insurance defense.
- RadioShack (formerly Tandy) Corporation
- (Staff Attorney, 1991-93; General Corporate Counsel and Manager of Corporate Law Section, 1993-98; Director, Year 2000 Readiness Project, 1998-2000; Senior Director, Corporate Compliance & Risk Management Department, 2000-01) I served as a Corporate Staff Attorney and rose to General Corporate Counsel (now called Associate General Counsel-Corporate). As General Corporate Counsel, I supervised and led the Corporate Section's staff of 10. We provided quality legal services to the company and its domestic and foreign divisions and subsidiaries in all standard and nonstandard contracts, business transactions and corporate governance matters. I was appointed as Director - Year 2000 Readiness Project in December 1998 by the President and CEO. My directive was to reorganize and direct company's worldwide Y2K project and contingency planning as a business issue. I led a focused team of 15 Strategic Task Force officers and managers from all business segments worldwide. Following the conclusion and wrap-up of the Year 2000 Project, I was promoted to Senior Director â Corporate Compliance & Risk Management. In that role, I created a new legal and ethical compliance program, INTEGRITYPlus, including its mission, vision and program statement, initial risk assessment, and monitoring and training programs in accordance with legal and industry standards of best corporate governance practices. In addition,I was responsible, with the Director of Risk Management and Facility Managers,for compliance with Local, State and Federal regulation of solid and hazardous waste generation, handling, storage, transportation and disposal at manufacturing and distribution facilities in Texas, California, Utah, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, North Carolina, and Virginia, and at retail locations nationwide. The facilities were large quantity, small quantity and conditionally exempt small quantity generators. With the Director of Risk Management and staff, I also managed environmental health and safety inspection programs and a multi-million dollar large deductible insurance program (property, liability and worker's compensation purchase, self insurance, claims management, property loss and casualty response, and risk control).
- Law, Snakard & Gambill, PC
- I began as an Associate Attorney and rose to Partner/Shareholder. My extensive law practice included business, banking and commercial transactions, insurance broker and agent transactions, state and federal litigation, real estate transactions (including development, financing, conveyances, title insurance and title insurance defense), estate planning and probate.
- Texas Tech University
- Doctor of Jurisprudence/Juris Doctor (J.D.)
- Texas State Bar # 04086500
- - Current
- Activities: Licensed Texas Attorney April 1973, State Bar of Texas No. 04086500 (AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell and In Good Standing); Certified Attorney Ad Litem/Guardian Ad Litem in Probate Matters by the State Bar of Texas.
- Attorney Ad Litem/Guardian Ad Litem
- State Bar of Texas