Free Consultation: (248) 795-5516Tap to Call This Lawyer
Mark Bredow

Mark Bredow

Bredow Law PLC - Bankruptcy- Drivers Licenses - Wills/Trusts
  • Bankruptcy, Collections, Consumer Law...
  • Michigan
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I have over 28 years experience in Michigan Law. Before I was an attorney, I was a Bank Auditor where I gained valuable insight into the world of debt. Attending law school, I had daily courtroom experience as a Court Clerk in Michigan’s Sixth Circuit Court. In 25 years as an attorney, I represent clients in trial and appeal courts in of the State of Michigan and in the Federal Courts, of Michigan, Ohio and Illinois, including the U.S. Court of Appeal in the Sixth Circuit. For over 18 years, I have practiced of the law of the collection of debt and in the defense against debt collection. I have extensive knowledge and experience in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy law. I represent both debtor’s and creditors. I help people seeking protection from creditors in bankruptcy, and I represent large and small business, including banks, mortgage companies and mortgage servicers, credit card companies, landlords, condominium associations and homeowner associations, small business owners and many others, to ensure that they received the full share that they are entitled under bankruptcy law. I have also represented the government's interests maintaining fairness to all in the bankruptcy process, as part of the Chapter 13 Trustee's Program. Because I have represented virtually all sides in debt and bankruptcy cases, My firm, Bredow Law PLC, has a unique insight into the motivations of debtors, creditors and Bankruptcy Trustees. My experience and insight allows Bredow Law to prepare unique and insightful solutions you, whether your are an individual, small business owner, or company. Bredow Law also counsels small business, individuals and families in Small Business Formation, Creditor & Debtor Rights, Consumer Law, Elder Law, Probate & Estate Planning, Criminal & Traffic matters & Driver's License Restorations. Our broad experience and specialized skills allow us to give the highest quality and cost-effective representation.

Practice Areas
  • Bankruptcy
  • Collections
  • Consumer Law
  • Foreclosure Defense
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Probate
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Estate Planning
  • Free Consultation
    Free Telephone consultation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
    Contigency fee options are available in certain Consumer Protection cases.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Low Fee Chapter 7 - $1,000.00 includes filing fee and credit report. Low Down Payments for Chapter 13 - Ask about our zero-down payment Chapter 13.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
6th Circuit
  • English: Spoken, Written
Wayne State University Law School
J.D. (1994) | Law
Central Michigan University
B.A. (1985) | Accounting
Professional Associations
Michigan State Bar # 49744
Speaking Engagements
Mortgage Issues for Borrowers, Creditors and Trustees, 23rd Annual Federal Bar Association, Western District Michigan, Bankruptcy Seminar, Boyne Falls, Michigan
Federal Bar Association of Michigan
Representing Clients in Chapter 13 Proceedings Pre-Confirmation, Bankruptcy Certificate Series: The Basics of Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, Plymouth, Michigan
Institute of Continuing Legal Education
The Only Cram-Down Left? Lien Stripping and Valuation, Detroit Consumer Bankruptcy Conference, Troy, Michigan
American Bankruptcy Institute
The Bankruptcy Reform Act One Year Later, AMC Mortgage Services Attorney Summit, Long Beach, California
AMC Mortgage Services
The Bankruptcy Reform Act, DS News Five-Star Conference Attorney Summit, Dallas, Texas
DS News
General Bankruptcy Education, Homecomings Financial Corporation Client Educational Seminar, San Diego, California
Homecomings Financial
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
34 Questions Answered

Q. I received 2 tickets and a warning. I was not in the vehicle. I was at home sleeping. What do I do?
A: You did not mention the specific citations that were issued. However, most infractions, including defective equipment violations are issued to the driver, not the owner. It is an infraction to drive a vehicle that does not comply, not to own one. There are citations that can be issued to an owner based upon the owner's allowing another to drive. I recommend that you contact an attorney and request a formal hearing on the citations. You may also consider filing a FOIA request for a copy of the officer's vehicle mounted video or body cam, and if the delay and harassment are as your son says, and there isn't something else going on that he did not tell you, you may wish to bring the matter up to the officer's supervisor. Most police are professionals and would not approve of a 25 minute delay to coerce a search.
Q. My mother keeps receiving excessive collections calls and she doesn't speak English.
A: The other attorney's answers are absolutely clear and correct. Sending a written letter is the best ways to protect her and preserve any legal issues if you want to pursue legal actions against a collector. But, in the short term, to give her some way of fighting back, you may want record your voice on a voice recorder stating. "I cannot speak English, so I've recorded my response to you. I dispute this debt. Please send me verification that I owe this debt and the name of the original creditor, then please stop all communications with me regarding this debt. " Play it into the phone when they call. Then, follow up with a letter as the others recommended. To preserve your rights, you should send a letter within 30 days of the date of their first call. But, most collection agencies and creditors record all of their calls. And many will honor your dispute and request to terminate communications even if it is verbal. If she has many creditors and collector's calling, you should contact an attorney who handles debt defense and bankrutpcy. Most will give you a short consultation at little or no charge.
Q. Must I disclose prior bankruptcies to my partner before we get married?
A: I agree with the others. You are under no legal obligation to tell your partner about what you did to resolve a prior financial crisis. But if the root causes of the bankruptcy were due to your bad habits, bad choices or health issues, and if you still struggle with those issues, you would be better off telling your partner about those issues. First, it's the honest and open thing to do, and second, they will find out eventually, and if they cannot understand the issues you struggle with, and are unwilling or unable to forgive or accept, wouldn't you be better off knowing that about them? For example, you don't have to tell your partner about every failed relationship you've had, but if they failed because you have gambling, or fidelity issues, wouldn't be a good idea to share that with your partner?
Q. I am under the age of 18 and I have a driver's permit but not a Driver's License can I purchase a car at a Dealership?
A: it's unlikely that a car dealer will sell to you alone, without an adult, because minors may void a contract until their 18th birthday. But, if they do, the dealer will apply for the plate for you. You are not required to be a licensed driver to purchase a car, but you have to be licensed to drive it off the lot.
Q. I forgot to get my tag renewed. I got a citation. Can I fight it?
A: I agree with Mr. Ford. If you request a hearing and bring proof that you purchased the tags, and if your record is otherwise clean, you can ask for the citation to be dismissed, with costs, or ask that it be reduced to a different offence without points and that is not reported on your record. It would be well worth it to retain an attorney to appear with you.
Q. How long do you have to wait to file bankruptcy again.
A: II you were in a prior bankruptcy that was dismissed for your failure to appear at court or your failure to follow Court orders, you cannot refile a bankruptcy for 180 days. Do you want to file a Chapter 7 case? If you received a final discharge in a prior Chapter 7 case, you must wait 8 years from the date you filed the first case, to refile another Chapter 7 case; If you received a final discharge in a prior Chapter 13 case, you must wait 6 years from the date you filed the first case to file another Chapter 7. Do you want to file new Chapter 13 case? In order to Discharge unpaid debts at the end of your case, you have to wait 4 years from the date you filed your first case, to file the new Chapter 13 and you have to wait 2 years to file a new Chapter 13 case, if you received a final discharge in a prior Chapter 7, 11 or 12 case. But, you may be able to file a Chapter 13 case earlier to save a home from foreclosure, but you won’t get a final discharge of unpaid debts. Consult an attorney.
Q. I live in MI and am married. If I file chapter 7, am on the title but not the mortgage, will it affect my spouse?
A: Your question is complicated. In a Chapter 7 case, a Trustee is appointed. The Trustee's purpose is to sell any of your assets that he/she can, including a house or land. Whether or not the Trustee can sell your property is a complicated legal question. It cannot be answered without a in-depth review of how the property is titled, the value of the property, the amount owed on the mortgage. It's possible that the Trustee could sell your house, even if your husband objected. On the other hand, its possible that the Trustee will not be able to sell it. Before you file a Chapter 7, please consult with an attorney. You do not want to make a mistake and lose your house. Consult an attorney.
Q. I heard something about filing for an emergency bankruptcy. Does that mean the process is sped up under certain
A: No. An Emergency Bankruptcy refers to the quick filing of the case to stop a foreclosure or other imminent creditor actions. The documents that are filed in and emergency case are very minimal, only the bare minimum of documents and information is filed, just enough to start the bankruptcy case and obtain the protections of the Automatic Stay. In an "normal" bankruptcy case, a full petition is filed which is made up of 12 or 13 very detailed documents filed with the Court, including a petition and several schedules containing information about the debtor's property and assets, income, household expenses, and other detailed information. It takes a good deal of time to gather all that information, and if a foreclosure that set for that day or then next, there is no time. Filing the emergency petition protects the debtor and gives them 14 days to file the remaining documents.
Q. Is there a way I can have a speeding ticket dismissed? It is my first ticket in the 40 plus years I have been driving.
A: It may difficult to get the ticket dismissed, unless you request a formal hearing and the officer fails to appear. Otherwise you are advised to try to negotiate the ticket down to a lessor offense with fewer points and/or fees. It is well worth the cost to have an attorney appear with you.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Bredow Law PLC
41000 Woodward Avenue
Suite 350 East
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304
Telephone: (248) 795-5516
Fax: (248) 856-4131