Free Consultation: (417) 832-2144Tap to Call This Lawyer
Lydia Seifner

Lydia Seifner

Springfield Family Law, LLC
  • Family Law, Divorce, Juvenile Law
  • Missouri
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I got tired of big law firms, that put profits before people. Finding peace of mind for your domestic issues shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. That's why I opened Springfield Family Law, where we put our clients first.

Divorce and custody actions are some of the most stressful life events an individual can experience. Unlike most attorneys who studied politics in school, I wanted to have a thorough understanding of how family conflict and tension can affect you and your children. I received my Bachelor's degree from Drury University, and Master's degree from Valparaiso University, in Psychology, along with my J.D. from Valparaiso Law School, to assist me in my practice of Family Law.

Certified Guardian ad Litem.

Practice Areas
  • Family Law
  • Divorce
  • Juvenile Law
  • Free Consultation
    30 min. Free consultation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Discover, Master Card, Visa, and american Express
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    I also offer limited scope representation, at a smaller, flat rate, for those individuals who only need simple paper work drafted for initial or responsive pleadings.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Professional Experience
Attorney at Law
Springfield Family Law, LLC
- Current
Sole practitioner
Associate Attorney
Stange Law Firm, PC
Associate Attorney
Wyatt Law & Associates, LLC
Valparaiso University
M.A. (2015) | Psychology
Activities: Tungsoodo
Valparaiso University School of Law
J.D. (2015) | Law
Activities: Christian Legal Society, Women's Law Student Association, Running and Fitness Club, Ballroom dancing.
Drury University
B.A. (2010) | Psychology
Activities: Concert Choir, Taekwondo, Aiki-Jujitsu.
Professional Associations
The Missouri Bar # 68793
- Current
Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association
- Current
Christian Legal Society
Certified Guardian ad Litem
Missouri Bar Association
Websites & Blogs
Springfield Family Law Blog
Legal Answers
262 Questions Answered

Q. How do I go about filling for a legal seperation
A: To file a petition for separation contact an attorney local to you to assist you. If at any point before it is finalized, you decide to cancel the separation, you can dismiss the action.
Q. Will a home bought roughly one month prior to marriage be divided in a divorce?
A: Typically property bought prior to marriage is considered non-marital property. However, property that is used for martial purposes can become joint marital property. If the house was bought for the marriage, If you name is on the title of the house, or you made all the payments since marriage; then you have a claim to the house being considered martial property. Talk to an attorney local to you to assist you.
Q. My fiancé’s kids’ father moved out of state and has not contacted them in months. Is this considered abondonment
A: You and the children's mother will need to be married for six months before you can seek adoption. After that, talk to an adoption attorney local to you to assist you.
Q. How can I do new custody agreement outside of court and then have it placed on record?
A: No, if you want an official, enforceable order from the court; you would have to file a Motion to Modify, and after your ex has been served, set a court for an uncontested trial in which one or both of you go in to confirm that you agree to the plan. You may, however, ignore all of this and simply change the parenting schedule among yourselves without filing anything; but this plan would not be enforceable should one of you become uncooperative down the road.
Q. How can a woman that was married to a man for 8.5 years, marry again and give child first husbands last name?
A: As long as you and the child's father are in agreement, you can give your child whatever name you want.
Q. Can my ex stop me from taking our 8 year old son? We have been 50/50 for the past 7 years.
A: That answer depends on whether you are the mother or the father. When a child is born outside of marriage, the only parent who has legal rights to the child is the mother. The law does that because we always know who the biological mother is, she is the person who gave birth to the child. The law presumes paternity in marriage, but outside of marriage, the courts can know for sure who is the father; and a DNA test does not establish legal rights. In order to establish a father's legal rights, you will have to go to court to establish legal paternity. In short, if you are the mom, then your ex can't keep you from your son. However, if you are the dad, then your ex may keep your son away from you until a court says otherwise. Talk to an attorney local to you to assist you.
Q. Im 17 years old i live in missouri. What would happen or whT could my parents do if i leave home?
A: If you leave home before you are 18, your parents could call the police and report you as a runaway. Once found you could end up in juvenile detention. You can become legally emancipated if you can financially support yourself. However, if you cannot obtain permission to leave home, and you cannot financially support yourself, then you are going to have to wait it out until you are a little older.
Q. Unmarried. Undeclared father has children and will not return them. Police will not assist me (mother) to get them.
A: If there are no court orders giving him custody of the children, then yes, you can go get them. It's a civil issue because it is handled by the civil and domestic courts. Police generally don't like to get involved in domestic matters. So unless he is physically restraining you from the property withholding the children from you, the police probably won't be much help; at least not until after you've made and attempt to retrieve the children yourself. Depending on your situation, you may be able to ask the court for an injunctive order for him to return the children, talk to an attorney local to you to assist you.
Q. Would income increase change the amount of CS if both parties had originally agreed on a set amount?
A: The child support amount would not automatically increase if one parent receives an increase in income. However, a significant increase income would allow the other parent to pursue an increase in child support, if desired.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Springfield Family Law
227 E. Sunshine
Suite 107
Springfield, MO 65807
Telephone: (417) 832-2144