Free Consultation: (732) 887-2479Tap to Call This Lawyer
Leon Matchin
  • Traffic Tickets, DUI & DWI, Criminal Law
  • New Jersey
Rate This Lawyer
Lawyer Rating and Reviews
Legal Knowledge
Legal Analysis
Communication Skills
Ethics and Professionalism
Rating: 10 Justia Lawyer Rating - 10 out of 10
I have known Leon for about 15 years being a local attorney in town. I have seen him come up the ranks and I am impressed. I can say without hesitation that anyone who hire him as their attorney will have a real fighter on their side.
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldSocial Media

I always knew I would be an attorney because my uncle was a prosecutor and and then a successful defense attorney and I wanted to do what he did. I graduated Cum Laude from the State University of New York at Stony Brook in 1998 and I started Seton Hall University School of Law at Newark, New Jersey the fall of that same year. I attended law school part time, however, because I also worked a full time job at a law firm in Elizabeth, New Jersey from which it was an easy 15 minute commute to my night classes. That was my life for four years until I graduated Seton Hall in 2002 and immediately hung my shingles. I never worked for anyone as a practicing attorney, except my clients of course. After all, I did everything an attorney does at the firm I worked at while attending law school for four years, except representing clients in court. Still, I accompanied the attorneys I worked for plenty of times on the cases I worked on, filed motions, briefs, etc… When I got my license to practice, I was ready to go out on my own. I was 26 years old. My four years working and studying gave me the confidence and knowledge to take such a leap of faith at such a young age. I am still working for myself as a practicing attorney to this day representing clients in court charged with various criminal, drunk driving and traffic offenses.

Practice Areas
  • Traffic Tickets
  • DUI & DWI
  • Criminal Law
  • Free Consultation
    I meet with clients for 30 minutes at no charge to the client.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, Master Card, American Express and Discover.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New Jersey
3rd Circuit
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Russian
Professional Experience
Municipal Court Trial Attorney
Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Municipal Court Trial Attorney
Seton Hall University School of Law
State University of New York - Stony Brook
B.A. (1998) | History and Political Science
Honors: Cum Laude
Activities: Intramural Basketball and President of Alpha Epsilon Pi Iolta Delta Chapter Senior Year of College
Municipal Court Trial Attorney in the State of New Jersey
Certified by the Supreme Court of the State of New Jersey as a Municipal Court Trial Attorney
Professional Associations
New Jersey State Bar # 000062002
- Current
Articles & Publications
Preparing for a DUI Marijuana Charge
Leon Matchin
Caught Toking and Driving?
Attorney Leon Matchin
Speaking Engagements
Internship, Business Law Class, Rutgers University
Rutgers University Business Law Class
Spoke before an intern's business law class at his university. The intern interned for me during his last semester of college.
Internship, Business Law Class, Rutgers University
Rutgers University Business Law Class
Spoke before an intern's business law class at his university. The intern interned for me during his last semester of college.
Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as Municipal Court Trial Attorney
Supreme Court of New Jersey
Municipal Court Trial Attorney
Supreme Court of New Jersey
Websites & Blogs
Leon Matchin's Website Profile
Law Office of Leon Matchin LLC Website
Legal Answers
212 Questions Answered

Q. Does running a red light in NJ (first offense) stay on your record? Will your insurance go up (Geico)?
A: Generally, insurance companies raise rates between $100 to $200 per point for three years and this is a two point offense. It stays on your record in perpetuity.
Q. How are some people getting accepted into the drug court program with third degree aggr. assault charges?,N.J court
A: You don't have the luxury of firing a pool attorney. Your only move is to hire your own attorney. Every case has a life of its own. Many defendants are quick to blame their lawyer but more often than not it's the defendant's criminal case history, attitude and demeanor that prevents their lawyer from getting them the best possible result rather than the other way around. Truth is that trial lawyer can do the appeal he just doesn't want to because he's not getting along with you or he doesn't believe that it'll do your case any good or go anywhere based on his experience. You should be friendly and open minded with the lawyer you have especially if he's a trial lawyer because that means he's very experienced.
Q. Can I get a delay of traffic ticket if I have a flat tire?
A: The officer just needs probable cause which is basically suspicion that you delayed traffic to write you the ticket which is a low standard so far as the courts are concerned.
Q. I went to court in November 15 of 2018 for driving while suspended in Cherry Hill NJ I got the slap program for ten day
A: Depends on court on prosecutor on Judge and who your attorney is. You should find someone local to that court who has a good relationships.
Q. Can I be charged criminally if kohls never recovered the merchandise?
A: If there's a civil case then I bet there's criminal too. Contact the court to confirm bc if you miss court you'll have a warrant.
Q. Is there any points for ticket 39:3-76.2A In mew jercey?
A: No it's basically a seat belt ticket but some Judges don't like to see children in car without a seat belt so the fine may be large if it's mandatory court appearance.
Q. Difference between a conviction and a charge. How long can you be detained without a conviction?
A: Conviction means there's proof beyond reasonable doubt and a charge means there's mere probable cause which is a much lower standard. Anyone with a bad criminal history especially violent who is charged with an egregious crime is likely to spend time in jail waiting for trial rather than be released.
Q. Trying to find out what I'm charges with using a indictment number
A: Call the superior court in county where you're charged and ask speak with records department and give them the indictment number and they will tell you your charges.
Q. If I am driving intoxicated on my own property, can I get arrested for a DUI?
A: Yes you can but you can refuse to submit to the alcotest machine.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Law Office of Leon Matchin LLC
Milltown, New Jersey - Main Office
86 Washington Ave.
Milltown, NJ 08850
Telephone: (732) 887-2479
Fax: (732) 662-7660