Leland Eric Garvin, a Florida native and second generation trial attorney, began his legal career working as a Prosecutor. While at the State Attorney’s office, he gained invaluable trial experience representing the State of Florida in countless jury trials at both the misdemeanor and felony levels.
Prior to taking the job with the State, and throughout law school; Mr. Garvin worked for one of the larger personal injury law firms in South Florida. When he wasn’t handling injury and auto accident cases; he made time for the Moot Court Honor Society. It was during his time with Moot Court that he developed a love for the courtroom and passionate advocacy.
After leaving his job as a prosecutor, Mr. Garvin started his own firm handling both criminal defense and injury cases. More recently he and his father Jeff decided to combine their two practices to better serve the needs of their clients.
In 2009, Leland was selected as “one of the best up and coming attorneys” in the state of Florida by Florida Trend Magazine and listed in the 2009 edition of Strathmore’s Who’s Who.
In 2010, Mr. Garvin was named by Florida Super Lawyers magazine as one of the Top Young Lawyers in Florida. Only 2.5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers for this list.
Leland was also selected as one of the top 40 lawyers under the age of 40 in Florida by The National Trial Lawyers Association in 2012.
He serves on the Board of Directors of the Young Lawyers Section of the Florida Justice Association in addition to being a member of the PULSE Committee for the American Heart Association.
Leland is a member of American Association for Justice, the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Broward County Justice Association, Broward, and Lee County Bar Association. He concentrates his practice in the areas of personal injury, wrongful death and select criminal defense litigation.
He is admitted to the Florida Bar, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida and the Middle District of Florida.
- Personal Injury
- Products Liability
- Nursing Home Abuse
- Legal Malpractice
- Insurance Claims
- Maritime Law
- Medical Malpractice
- Free Consultation
- Contingent Fees
33.3% to 40%
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- English: Spoken, Written
- Garvin Law Firm
- - Current
- Assistant State Attorney
- Office of the State Attorney 17th Judicial Circuit
- Nova Southeastern University
- J.D. (2006) | Litigation, Trial Advocacy, Certified Legal Intern
- Honors: Moot Court Honor Society
- Florida State University - Panama City campus
- B.S. (2003)
- Honors: Dean's List
- top 40 lawyers under the age of 40
- The National Trial Lawyers Association
- one of the best up and coming attorneys
- Florida Trend Magazine
- Florida Justice Association
- Eagle Member
- Florida Bar Association
- Broward Bar Association
- lee county bar association
- American Association for Justice
- Broward County Justice Association
- Captains For Clean Water
- Board Member
- - Current
- Southwest Florida Trial Lawyers
- Top 40 Lawyers under 40
- The National Trial Lawyers Association
- Top Young Lawyers in Florida
- Florida Super Lawyers Magazine
- Leland E. Garvin's Website Profile
- Garvin Law Firm Website
- Florida Personal Injury Lawyer Blog
- Recovering Damages After Hit-and-Run Accident in SWFL
21 November 2018
- SWFL Explosive Growth Increases Road Risks
31 October 2018
- Florida Supreme Court Rejects Daubert Expert Standard, Returns to Frye
19 October 2018
- New Laws Take Effect Today in Florida – Including PTSD Benefits, Animal Abuse..
1 October 2018
- Drunk Drivers an Autumn Risk in SWFL
15 September 2018
- Three Vehicles strike Lehigh Acres Pedestrian in Fatal Hit-and-Run
10 September 2018
- Does Florida Law Require Bicycle Helmets? Will it Hurt My Injury Case If I Wasn’t Wearing One?
14 August 2018
- Is it illegal to drive barefoot or in flip-flops in Florida?
20 June 2018
- Spotlight on Motorcycle Safety: Florida Leads Nation in Motorcycle Accidents
14 June 2018
- Q. I was in a accident with uber who should i talk to a lawyer or they're insurance adjuster?
- A: Yes I agree with David, I would speak with an attorney in the event you are injured. Remember that you have only 14 days from the date of the crash to seek medical treatment under your PIP insurance or you will face a reduction in available PIP coverage. If you aren't hurt then you can likely negotiate your property damage claim yourself. Also, don't forget to notify your insurance carrier about the crash as almost every insurance policy requires this. Best of luck,
- Q. We were rear ended by a driver doing 80while he was texting, we both have injuries and have settled with his ins carrier
- A: It sounds mostly correct... You must have the permission of your UM carrier to accept the money from the person who hit you or you risk invalidating your UM policy. If you are to accept the money from the other drivers insurance company then that insurance company will most likely require that you sign a release releasing their insured (which would make it impossible for you to go after that driver). I am not aware of any law that says that your attorney can not distribute money under the other drivers insurance company; the only issue here would be if there is not enough money in the lawyers trust account to cover your existing medical bills and/or liens. Hope this answer was helpful... -Leland
- Q. What if I was rear ended and was found not at fault.
- A: I agree with the other lawyers who previously answered this question; If there was only $10,000.00 in available coverage and you did not have UM insurance and the driver (or vehicle owner) has no assets to speak of then maybe taking the 10k is not a bad idea but I would definitely contact an attorney.