Profile Image Placeholder

Laurel Deborah Scott

The Law Office of Laurel Scott, PLLC
  • Immigration Law
  • Texas
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A
Practice Area
Immigration Law
Asylum, Citizenship, Deportation Defense, Family Visas, Green Cards, Immigration Appeals, Investment Visas, Marriage & Fiancé(e) Visas, Student Visas, Visitor Visas, Work Visas
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State Bar of Texas
ID Number: 24037460
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
Professional Experience
The Law Office of Laurel Scott, PLLC
Temple University Beasley School of Law
JD (2002) | Immigration
Temple University Beasley School of Law Logo
Simon's Rock College
BA (1993) | Environmental Science
Honors: Cum Laude
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
State Bar of Texas  # 24037460
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
18 Questions Answered
Q. My now ex-husband obtained his green card by marriage.....paperwork question
A: The government has a copy in what's call an "alien file". If your husband ever needs a copy, he can request it from the government through a FOIA request (Freedom of Information Act). If the file was for you, I would tell you to hang on to it. But since it's for your ex, you can either give it to him if you like, or you can shred it and tell him to file a FOIA if he ever needs a copy of his file. Your choice.
Q. As a LPR who lived outside of the US for 10 years but moved back 3 months ago, am I at risk of green card abandonment?
A: If they let you back in the US, you should be fine as long as you don't depart again for a while. And by "a while", I would recommend you not depart for AT LEAST a year, if not longer. In order for them to revoke your permanent residence WHILE YOU ARE IN THE US, they have to take you to immigration court, which is a lot of money for the government. It's completely different if you are seeking re-entry to the US. Yes, technically if you are in possession of a facially-valid green card at a point of entry, you can demand an opportunity to see an immigration judge, but in that scenario they can take you to a detention facility while you wait to see a judge and hold you for months. Most people in that situation simply give up and voluntarily relinquish the card. Totally different if you're present in the US pursuant to a lawful entry. Then they can't hold you in detention. Bottom line, you're fine. Go ahead and petition for your husband. But do not depart the country again for AT LEAST a year, preferably longer. ... Read More
Q. Question about conviction in another country
A: 194 countries use the Interpol database that will tell them about convictions in any country that reports to Interpol. It is normal and common for immigration officers in those 194 countries to run your name through the Interpol system when you pass through the immigration post at the airport.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
The Law Office of Laurel Scott, PLLC
15 Constitution Drive, First Floor
15 Constitution Drive, First Floor
Bedford, NH 03110
Telephone: (603) 292-7842
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.