Free Consultation: (303) 623-4000Tap to Call This Lawyer
Kristina M. Bergsten

Kristina M. Bergsten

Dedication in Legal Representation
  • Animal & Dog Law, Civil Rights, Criminal Law...
  • Colorado, New Jersey, Pennsylvania
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldSocial Media

I am an Aries, an unenrolled Lakota Sioux, a second degree black belt in karate, an environmentalist, a vegan, a runner, an animal-lover, a (pretty decent) cook, a risk-taker, a domestic violence survivor, and probably one of the most relatable, down-to-earth attorneys you will ever meet. I am a member of the Colorado Bar Association, the Colorado Women's Bar Association, Colorado Bar Association Leadership Training (COBALT) Program, the Colorado Criminal Defense Bar, the Denver Bar Association, and I serve on various committees for the Colorado and Denver Bar Associations. I am a Director on the Board of Directors for Colorado Voters for Animals, a legislative animal interest group. I also serve on the Board of Directors for Rescue Ranch Animal Rescue. I volunteer for Metro-Volunteers at their Indian Legal Clinic. I participate in the Women's Leadership Roundtable. I volunteered and tabled at such events as VegFest Colorado and One Billion Rising. I work hard and I work ethically. I will fight for your rights and I will do so with integrity. When I win your case, or negotiate a fair plea or settlement, you know I did so in a respectful and professional manner. As your attorney, I represent you to prosecutors, judges, and opposing counsel; therefore, I believe I should conduct myself in a manner that you would be proud to stand behind. I keep you informed of the process the entire way. When you come into my office for an initial consultation, I am going to tell you my honest opinion and what I think your chances of success are. I am going to give you the truth. I would rather starve on my integrity than get fat off any lies. I know that when you come to see me, you are in the middle of the biggest crisis of your life. You deserve to be treated with respect and compassion. If you are still not sure whether you want to work with me, call 303-623-4000 and schedule an appointment to meet with me and see for yourself.

Practice Areas
  • Animal & Dog Law
  • Civil Rights
  • Criminal Law
  • DUI & DWI
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Free Consultation
    1 half-hour (30 minute) free initial consultation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    MasterCard, Visa, and American Express. I also accept PayPal and Venmo
  • Contingent Fees
    Personal injury cases, only.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    I also accept alternative payment for limited scope representation. Call today for more details on how our firm can assist you with a small piece of your litigation to fit YOUR needs.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
New Jersey
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Attorney at Law
Bergsten Law Offices
The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law
J.D. (2012)
The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law Logo
Ohio State University - Columbus
B.A. (2008)
Ohio State University - Columbus Logo
Professional Associations
Colorado Women's Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Colorado Bar Leadership Training Program
Placeholder image for professional associations.
State Bar of Colorado # 50663
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Denver Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Colorado Bar Association Public And Legal Services
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Bergsten Law Offices
Bergsten Law Offices Blog
Legal Answers
207 Questions Answered

Q. I live in Colorado and I rent an apartment/condo. My neighbor threatened to kill my dog, what legal action can I take?
A: If you do not feel safe, then your best option might be to break your lease and move. If the threats continue or escalate, you might also be entitled to a restraining/protection order, but that all depends on whether or not the cops will press charges.
Q. My girlfriend and I have been separated for nine months she return to grab some of her property and stole my dog
A: You can sue her in court to get your dog back. It sounds like it might be a tough case because of the ownership documents issue, but not unwinnable. You should talk to an attorney to go over your options.
Q. How long before you can keep a dog your watching?
A: Dogs are property under Colorado law. Under Colorado property law, property is not considered abandoned until 5 years have passed. So, until 5 years passes with no contact from the owners - or until they gift or sell the dog to you, the dog belongs to the original owners. You could reach out to the owners and see if they give or sell the dog to you so you don’t have to wait 5 years. If you have incurred expenses not anticipated under the original agreement, you can ask to be reimbursed. Under either wither scenario, you will want an attorney to help you draw up an agreement of gift or sale, or have to ask for reimbursement.
Q. Can a boarding facility hold your dogs until your bill is paid in full?
A: Generally speaking, no. Unless you signed a contract that says they can do this. This is a highly unusual situation and veterinarians can technically keep dogs/animals as collateral for unpaid veterinary bills, but that is provided for by statute. I am not aware of a statute that permits boarding facilities to do this - especially when the boarding bill is increasing.
Q. We bought a parrot in 1996 & in 2009 I became unable to care for him due to cancer so family member #1 took him after
A: If you never sold the bird or gave the bird to family member number two, then the bird is yours and you never lost on ownership in the first place, and family member number two has no right to take the bird from you.
Q. Can Animal Control legally confiscate a dog that was found who's owner doesn't want her back?
A: Generally, animal control will turn a found dog over to an animal shelter for adoption. The woman can try to adopt the dog from the shelter and give it to the rescue organization, or she can have someone from the rescue try to contact animal control and/or the shelter.
Q. If my name is on the microchip of my two SDIT pups , can I get them back from the person who is withholding them from me
A: Yes. Your post shows you’re in Texas, but in Colorado, if you are the registered owner and you can show proof of purchase with an adoption or purchase contract, the police *might* help and pick up the dog and/or press charges. Often, however, police will say it is a civil matter and not do anything and tell you to sue in civil court. You should speak to an attorney in your state to get the most relevant advice.
Q. evicted for having a esa/therapy animal. landlord lying saying im not evicted but gave me 30 days to get out. help.
A: You need a lawyer. Sometimes a letter from an experienced animal attorney, one who specializes in ESAs and service animals, especially, is enough to put a hold on the eviction and stop it. But you definitely need legal counsel. Your statement was a little confusing, though. If it’s an eviction, a lawyer can definitely help. But if it’s a matter of not renewing the lease after your original Lease term expired, there is not much you can do because that’s a matter of personal choice by the landlord. Again, I would recommending consulting with an attorney.
Q. I have a dog and she uses potty pads on the balcony which I do clean however my apartment says I violating my lease
A: This sounds more like a landlord/tenant issue than an animal law question because, without reading the terms of your lease, it is impossible to know whether or not you are violating any habitability clauses, health clauses, or cleanliness clauses. I would recommend taking your lease to an attorney to have it reviewed and then advise you as to any potential violations or not.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Bergsten Law Offices
945 S. Birch Street
Denver, CO 80246
Telephone: (303) 623-4000