Free Consultation: (757) 716-7494Tap to Call This Lawyer
Kristin Paulding

Kristin Paulding

Your Future is at Stake. Hire Me to Help You.
  • Criminal Law, Juvenile Law, DUI & DWI...
  • Virginia
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

At 7 Cities Law I specialize in Criminal Defense and Juvenile Law. I started my legal career eight years ago as a prosecutor in Virginia Beach where I tried hundreds of criminal cases. My experience extends from the most serious of violent felonies like Murder or Sexual Assault to misdemeanors such as Traffic Offenses, Domestic Violence and School Disciplinary Hearings. I was recently selected by the National Trial Lawyers as one of their Top 40 Under 40. I pride myself on being prepared and working with my clients as a team to get the best result in our case. No problem is too big if we work together to find a solution. Call now to set up a free consultation. I will work with your schedule to see you as soon as possible. I look forward to talking with you.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • Juvenile Law
  • DUI & DWI
  • Domestic Violence
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Free Consultation
    45 minute free consultation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, Mastercard, Discovery, American Express
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Payment Plans are available.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Assistant Commonwealth Attorney
Virginia Beach Commonwealth Attorney's Office
As a prosecutor I handled hundreds of criminal and traffic cases in Circuit Court, General District Court and Juvenile Court. These included murder cases, robberies, sexual assaults, DUI's, larcenies, burglaries, drug cases, fraud cases and many more.
State University of New York - Buffalo
J.D. (2007) | Law
Honors: Magna Cum Laude
State University of New York - Buffalo Logo
State University of New York - Buffalo
B.A. (2004) | Political Science
Honors: Summa Cum Laude
State University of New York - Buffalo Logo
Michigan State University
Political Science
Michigan State University Logo
Top 40 under 40
The National Trial Lawyers
Professional Associations
Eastern District of Virginia
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Virginia Supreme Court
Certified Guardian Ad Litem
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Virginia Supreme Court
Certified Criminal Attorney for Indigent Defendants
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Virginia Beach Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Virginia State Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
7 Cities Law
DUI Breath Test
7 Cities Law
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
18 Questions Answered

Q. How do I help get the Domestic A&B charges dropped when I specifically told the magistrate she only wanted a 72hr order?
A: The Commonwealth Attorney's Office in your jurisdiction will likely be prosecuting your husband. They will subpoena you for the case and you will be a witness to what happened. You can call their office and find out who is handling the case and ask to speak with them. Some jurisdictions will drop domestic violence charges when the victim requests it, others will not. You will need to speak with the prosecutor to see where they stand on the issue.
Q. 1st offense, DWI ,underage (19), blew a .007 at station , active duty military already NJPd. What am I looking at?
A: There is a specific Virginia Code Section for people under the age of 21 who have been arrested for DUI. Under 18.2-266.1 if you are under 21 and you are driving with a BAC of .02 to .08 you can be found guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor which is punishable by up to 12 months in jail and a $2500 fine. It sounds like your BAC of .007 is below that. I would recommend talking to an experienced criminal defense lawyer because you may have some defenses to this charge.
A: Assault and Battery on a Family Member is a Class 1 misdemeanor punishable by up to 12 months in jail and a $2500 fine. However, if you are found guilty or the Court determines there is enough evidence to find you guilty you can be given a deferred finding. A deferred finding option is available for first time offenders. With a deferred finding you will be placed on good behavior for 2 years. The Court may require you to complete anger management or a substance abuse assessment. After 2 years if you do everything the Court asks of you then the charge can be dismissed. If you violate the terms of the deferred finding the Court will find you guilty of the offense.
Q. how long will a 35 year old man spend in jail for punching his 15 year old step daughter in the face?
A: This is a difficult question to answer because I do not know what the charges are. He could potentially be charged with Assault and Battery of a Family Member which is a class 1 misdemeanor. Class 1 offenses carry a maximum of 12 months in jail. If the punch caused serious injury he may be charged with Unlawful Wounding, Malicious Wounding or Child Abuse. These are all felonies and can carry a much harsher sentence. I would suggest he talk to an experienced criminal defense attorney in his area about the specific charges and what his best defense might be.
Q. found guilty of misde assault, appealed to Noelle prosq. Do I have to put I was convicted on an employment application?
A: It sounds like you were convicted of misdemeanor assault. Once you appealed you got a trial de novo (a brand new trial) in Circuit Court. During that appeal the prosecutor can make a motion to nolle prosequi the charge. This means he/she is not prosecuting the charge. When a charge is nolle prossed you have NOT been convicted. You were charged and the charges were dropped. If your charge is nolle prossed you can make a motion to expunge the charge under 19.2-392.2. Go to the Circuit Court Clerk's Office and ask for some information on expungements if your interested in removing it from your record for good.
Q. Am I able to go in front of a judge to get a restricted license I have fines that are old.
A: Yes, you can petition the Court for a restricted driver's license. You may need to present a current DMV abstract to show that you have not been in any trouble in the last few years. The Court may also ask you why you are applying for the license. The Court may be more likely to grant you a restricted license if you have a job lined up. If you are suspended in multiple cities you will need to apply in each city. Once the Court grants you a restricted license you would need to go to the DMV to get the actual permit. Check out this link for a sample petition.
Q. Will I have to take another drug test in court at dismissal hearing?
A: It depends what jurisdiction you are in. Typically they will not drug test you if you have complied with all of the requirements up until that point. However, you may want to bring a copy of your prescription and a letter for your doctor showing that you were recently prescribed that medication. In the event you did have to take a drug test you would have the paperwork to show why those drugs were in your system.
Q. what is the level of a DUI? Felony or misdemeanor
A: A first offense DUI is a misdemeanor in Virginia. A second offense is also a misdemeanor. A third or subsequent offense is a felony.
Q. An ABC agent called and said she needs to meet with me concerning a theft that occured at a liquor store Will she arrest
A: Mr. De Groot is correct. There is nothing wrong with telling the ABC agent that you want to get an attorney first. Once you speak with your attorney you can discuss if it is in your best interest to talk to the agent about the theft. He or she may say no. Either way, anything you say to the agent could potentially be used against you so make sure you know your rights before you talk to her.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
7 Cities Law
291 Independence Blvd
Bldg. 4, Suite 223
Virginia Beach, VA 23462
Telephone: (757) 716-7494
Fax: (757) 716-7492