Free Consultation: (816) 895-2858Tap to Call This Lawyer
Kristen Thurmond

Kristen Thurmond

Attorney and Owner of C&T Law Offices
  • Divorce, Family Law, Domestic Violence...
  • Missouri
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Kristen is a founding partner of C&T Law Offices. Originally from Nixa, Missouri, Kristen came to the Kansas City metro area to attend William Jewell College and fell in love with the city. She decided to go to UMKC School of Law and build connections in Kansas City in order to live here. Kristen and her law partner focus on the areas of law that impact almost everyone. This includes family matters, traffic tickets, as well as animal law and ordinance tickets. Family law matters include divorce, legal separations, modifications, child support issues, child custody issues, paternity actions, guardianships, and step-parent adoptions. Kristen helps her clients be prepared for the legal issues that come during emotional times when family dynamics are changing. Animal matters are an area of law that is growing. Pet owners find themselves facing fines and possible jail time. Currently, Kristen volunteers at Spay & Neuter Kansas City and has a passion for helping families keep their pets safe, healthy, and out of legal trouble. Traffic tickets we handle are cover a lot of the typical issues: speeding, failure to yield, driving while suspended, no insurance, etc. We represent clients for almost any type of traffic ticket. C&T Law Offices assists people just like you in cities all across the KC Metro area in Missouri, such as Kansas City, Independence, Grandview, Raytown, Lee's Summit, Belton, Harrisonville, Garden City, Liberty, Kearney, Gladstone, Riverside, Parkville, Platte City, and many others.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • Animal & Dog Law
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Criminal Law
  • Juvenile Law
  • Free Consultation
    Free 30 minute initial consultations by phone to help determine the issues and what we may be able to do to help before hiring us.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    We accept Visa and MasterCard.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Our firm is focused on assisting people with their legal needs while keep his or her best interests in mind. Ask us about our payment options, which may include hourly billing, flat fees, or payment schedules. Additionally, we offer limited representation for those who need legal guidance without the standard billing.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
The Law Offices of Creagar & Thurmond, LLC
- Current
Intern/Law Clerk
Whitsitt & Whitsitt, LLC
Student Attorney
UMKC Child and Family Services Clinic
University of Missouri - Kansas City School of Law
J.D. / Law (2014)
Activities: National Adoption and Child Welfare Moot Court Team; Animal Law Society, President 2013; UMKC Child and Family Services Clinic
William Jewell College
B.A. / English, History (2011)
Honors: Rick-Pinkerton Scholarship for Dedication to the English Department
Activities: WJC's Online Radio Station (Manager 2008-2011); International English Honors Society; International History Honors Society; Alpha Gamma Delta
Professional Associations
The Missouri Bar # 67783
Spay & Neuter Kansas City
- Current
Activities: Volunteers assist with wellness care clinics, outreach programs, and community education opportunities. The goal of SNKC is to keep families together with their pets by providing low cost vaccinations, spays, and neuters and try to help families in need of supplies.
Guardian ad Litem
Missouri Bar
Websites & Blogs
C&T Law Office Website
C&T Law Blog
Legal Answers
44 Questions Answered

Q. I am current on child support. My ex wife has just been sentenced to 5 years in the State Pen. What happens now?
A: The answer depends on where your kids are living. If they're living with relatives or in a foster placement, you may have to continue to pay child support and the monies will go to their caretakers or the state. If the kids are living with you, then you need to immediately file to terminate support or ask for support from mother (regardless of her situation). Contact a local attorney to discuss what you need to do because it is time sensitive (the longer you wait, the more you pay and may not recuperate) and fact specific.
Q. can we keep a dog if the owner is abusing and neglecting it
A: This is a difficult question, but ultimately the answer is probably that you can keep the dog with you. However, in order to make sure this is done properly, you need to contact your local animal control or police department to report the abuse and state that you are willing to foster the dog at your own expense until this is resolved. More than likely, if the owner is found guilty he or she won't be allowed to have any pets for at least a year or more and he or she will be forced to surrender the pet that you are fostering. At that time, you become the legal owner of the dog. That is the legally correct way of taking in an abused or neglected dog from someone.
Q. Can someone sue me and demand I pay their lawyer fees when I can't even afford a lawyer myself?
A: The short answer is probably not. There are provisions that allow for attorneys fees to be paid by the other party, but certain criteria must be met. However, you really should talk with a local attorney about the particulars of the case. Lots of attorneys will give free consultations by phone.
Q. I am married and live in Missouri, my husband pretty soon to be ex is in Puerto Rico. Can I get divorced in the states?
A: Yes, you can get divorced in Missouri. Look up how to self-represent in Missouri or contact a local attorney for a consultation on how to proceed.
Q. i wanna know my rights in a custody battle in a non married relationship
A: There is nothing preventing the mother of a child from moving out of state with the child unless there is a court order saying otherwise. If you and the mother are not married, you need to file a paternity action in order to assert your rights as a father and get a parenting plan put in place that discusses custody of the child. Without a parenting plan, there is no guarantee you'll get to see your child once you land her separate unless the mother agrees to it. You need to look over the self-represent website or talk to an attorney to get this process started.
Q. By case info should I check 'the other party was ordered to pay child support to me' or 'no child support was ordered'
A: Look at what your previous judgment or order from Family Support Division says. If you have no judgment, then nothing was ordered.
Q. If I find someone's dog that got lost. But the owner has not done anything to look for it and I find it can I keep it?
A: The short answer is probably not. It sounds like you know who the owner is and that you know the owner is looking for the dog. That is not good and you could face legal repercussions for refusing to return the dog. You should take the dog to the vet or nearby shelter or rescue group to be scanned for a microchip and put up flyers that the dog has been found and who to contact to get the dog that is not yours.
Q. If "Animals are considered personal property." Are evidences/documentations that prove ownership sufficient?
A: Whoever the dog is registered to, can show he or she has been providing food, shelter, and vet care for the dog would have the best chance of success in court.
Q. Theft of Animal
A: This may be very specific to Kentucky laws. Most states treat animals as property, including companion animals, and so if you do not have the authority to take the dog (such as an officer with probably cause) then you could be charged with theft. Again, speak with a Kentucky criminal defense attorney for specifics.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
C&T Law Offices
Linwood Professional Building
204 West Linwood Boulevard
Kansas City, MO 64111
Telephone: (816) 895-2858
Fax: (816) 561-9355