Kevin Shields

Kevin Shields

Special Education Law throughout Texas
  • Education Law, Civil Rights
  • District of Columbia, Maryland, Texas
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

Serving Texas children and their families in Special Education law matters. We can help with your special education legal issue.

Practice Areas
  • Education Law
  • Civil Rights
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Special Education Lawyer
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia
District of Columbia Bar
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Shields Law Firm
University of Texas - Austin
Honors: High Honors
University of Texas - Austin Logo
Georgetown University Law Center
Georgetown University Law Center Logo
Professional Associations
Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates (COPAA)
Placeholder image for professional associations.
State Bar of Texas  # 24098742
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Conflict Mediation
Universtiy of Texas
Websites & Blogs
Special Education Law Firm
Shields Law Firm | Special Education Law
Legal Answers
6 Questions Answered

Q. My son is autistic and in the special needs program at his elementary school. Can I have a say in making modifications
A: Yes, absolutely. As the parent, you are a member of any group that meets to decide services or placement for your son. The law is clear regarding parent participation in meetings: The parents of a child with a disability must be afforded an opportunity to participate in meetings with respect to - (i) The identification, evaluation, and educational placement of the child; and (ii) The provision of FAPE to the child. 34 CFR 300.501 (b) Your son's IEP team is a good place to start and voice your concerns. If you cannot make progress with the IEP team, using a special education advocate or lawyer may help. No matter how you proceed though, you should have a voice in the process.
Q. Do the parents of the minor have to be present when the minor makes a verbal /written statement to school & local police
A: Parents need not be present while school officials are asking questions of a student in most cases. However, if the questioning was by the police or your child was in police custody, constitutional protections may be triggered. You may want to consult a local criminal lawyer about the specific details of your case.
Q. I got a ticket for possession of alcohol on school grounds but I only had a bottle that smelled like beer
A: While you were at a school, this is more of a criminal law question and are likely being charged under your state's criminal code. Once your case goes to court, you can present whatever evidence you have during a trial. It may be helpful to contact a local criminal lawyer about your individual facts.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
720 Rusk Street, Ste. 501
Houston, TX 77002
Telephone: (832) 422-7333
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.