Free Consultation: (215) 752-6200Tap to Call This Lawyer
Karen Ulmer Pendergast

Karen Ulmer Pendergast

Karen Ann Ulmer PC
  • Family Law, Divorce, Probate...
  • New Jersey, Pennsylvania
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldSocial Media

Karen Ulmer Pendergast is a family lawyer serving the needs of clients across Pennsylvania and New Jersey. She has the experience to confront all complex legal issues in the area of divorce, custody and support having served in this field since 1995. In addition to her trial experience, Ms. Pendergast has significant training in mediation and has settled many cases out of court and served as a mediator in custody disputes.

Karen Ulmer Pendergast is the founding member of Karen Ann Ulmer, P.C., a law firm that provides services in the areas of family law, estates and probate, real estates and mediation. With offices in Montgomery County and Bucks County, the firm is able to provide representation to clients in all areas of Philadelphia and the surrounding suburbs as well as in New Jersey.

Practice Areas
  • Family Law
  • Divorce
  • Probate
  • Real Estate Law
  • Free Consultation
    We offer a free 15 minute consultation by phone
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    The firm requires a retainer in advance for services and charges hourly.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New Jersey
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Founder, Family Law Attorney
Karen Ann Ulmer PC
- Current
Founder, Partner
Curtis & Ulmer PC
Jennifer Courtney
Georgetown University
LL.M. (1996) | Securities Regulation
Activities: new mother of a newborn
Georgetown University Logo
Widener University Delaware School of Law
J.D. (1995) | Law
Activities: SBA
Widener University Delaware School of Law Logo
Duke University
B.S. (1991) | Psychology
Activities: Alpha Phi Omega Service Fraternity, Kappa Delta
Duke University Logo
Ten Best
American Institute of Family Lawyers
Professional Associations
Montgomery County Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Pennsylvania State Bar # 77563
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Bucks County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Surviving Divorce
Speaking Engagements
Divorce from A to Z, Allentown and Philadelphia
National Business Institute
40 Hour Family Mediation Training Certification
Good Shephard Mediation Center
Legal Answers
10 Questions Answered

Q. If she didn't file an Answer to your divorce complaint, you may be able to amend it to add the 3301(d)
A: You just need to file a new pleading called Amended Divorce Complaint, add in the count and then serve her with it.
Q. In PA. My wife has an investment account created during the marriage. Can she will it all away or am I entitled to it?
A: In the event of death, a spouse may will their assets to anyone, however, the spouse has an elective share of 1/3 of the assets. This means that if your spouse leaves you less than 1/3, you can elect against the will to get the 1/3 of the assets.
Q. I filed for child support from my daughter's father. What if he denies being the father and doesn't sign the AOP ?
A: If you are unmarried then the father may first request a paternity test before the court will enter an order on child support. If he is determined to be the father then an order will be entered. Every county varies on time but expect to wait at least six weeks before the first conference is held from the date you file, and possibly even longer.
Q. When adopted son dies is his child still my legal grandchild
A: Your question does not indicate whether your grandson is adopted or is your biological grandson who was given up. If your biological grandson was adopted by another family he is no longer your legal grandchild. If your adopted grandchild was adopted into the family by your biological child, he is your legal grandchild. I also am sorry to hear if your grandchild has passed and offer my condolences to your family.
Q. The decree states that our house be sold, but it won't sell...
A: If the house is not able to be sold, it really depends on the reason as to what remedy you will want to seek. In either situation you will need to petition the court for post-trial relief. It may be that the house has to be sold for less and you may want to get an opinion of a realtor if you go to trial.
Q. Can my ex call back into domestics after modification hearing and be granted more without me there?
A: An order can be put in place without you there but you should have received notice in order for them to make any changes. Orders can be modified as circumstances changes with a petition filed and notice to the other side of a court date.
Q. My son is 16 years old let me lives in Pennsylvania but does not want to go back to his father what do I do
A: He will not have the right to decide until he is 18. Unfortunately, you will have to go through the court process and follow the orders if you cannot reach an agreement with the other parent. You should talk with him and explain that he needs to respect the decision of the court, but see if the other parent will agree to counseling to get to the root of the problem as to why he does not want go there.
Q. Can my daughter be taken away from me?
A: If you do not live with the mother and you do not do drugs and are a good father, there would be no reason that anyone would take your child from you. You would file for a change in custody for sole physical custody or supervised custody due to the drug issue and the court will determine whether to modify the time mother has based on whether she is doing drugs, there is evidence and she does them around the child, etc. If you think she is doing drugs around the child, you should definitely file to modify it to supervised custody.
Q. Im moving from Pennslyvania to Texas in a few months and I want full custody of my child? Is it possible and if so how?
A: You will need to first establish that you are the father. You may face many hurdles as the office that handles Children and Youth cases may take the baby if the baby is born addicted and they may not be aware that you are possibly the father. Your question does not indicate where she is living or why you are moving. You will want to be in contact with whatever the agency is that handles Children and Youth claims as well as the hospital where the baby is born so that they know who you are and that you are alleging to be the father. You will need to file a Petition for Paternity and Petition for Custody but the paternity will have to be heard first to establish if you are the father. If you are not the father, you will have no legal rights.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Langhorne Office (Main Office)
174 Middletown Blvd.
Suite 300
Langhorne, PA 19047
Telephone: (215) 752-6200
Doylestown Office
196 West Ashland Street
Doylestown, PA 18901
Telephone: (215) 348-3800
Jenkintown Office
610 Old York Road
Suite 400
Jenkintown, PA 19046
King of Prussia
630 Freedom Business Center
3rd Floor
King of Prussia, PA 19406