Jonathan Alexander Heeps

Jonathan Alexander Heeps

  • Social Security Disability, Elder Law, Estate Planning ...
  • Texas
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A
Practice Areas
  • Social Security Disability
  • Elder Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Probate
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Suffolk University Law School
J.D. (2010) | Law
Suffolk University Law School Logo
Texas Wesleyan University
B.B.A. (2006) | Business Administration
Placeholder image for education.
Legal Answers
5 Questions Answered

Q. if my son is getting money from my SSD check.Will his part be returned to me once he turns 18
A: No. There are two limits on SSDI benefits - your individual max (PIA) and family max. In order to get dependent benefits your family max must be higher than you PIA. For example, PIA (800) Family max (800), in this situation there would be no dependent benefits. But if your PIA was (1000) and Family Max was (1500) there would be $500 in dependent benefits. But you are only entitled to these benefits for dependents. So once your child turns 18 those benefits will stop. You need to consult with a local security attorney to get an answer more specific to your actual situation.
Q. Live in Idaho. Won a medical malpractice lawsuit. Put money in an annuity and receive a monthly payment. Cannot work.
A: This depends. If you have worked at least 5 of the last 10 years you may be eligible to apply for SSDI. The amount of income you receive from your annuity may disqualify you from SSI benefits. In either case you will need to prove that you you have a severe impairment that is expected to last, or has lasted for at least 12 month and are unable to engage in substantial gainful activity. There are many technicalities with Social Security Law - I recommend you consult with a local Social Security Lawyer - consultations are free and fees are contingent upon winning the claim. Good luck.
Q. i receive ssdi and medicare my children receive child support from ssa will they be affected if I receive rental income
A: It depends. SSDI is not a needs based program like SSI so your benefit will not be reduced by resources or income of family members. However, any income you receive could be considered Substantial Gainful Activity (SGC) SSA allows people attempting to return to work or self employment a 9 month trial work period. While not directly applicable to your situation - SSA will consider any rental income as SGA if it exceeds $1,070 (2014) or $1,090 (2015) You should consult with the attorney who helped you with the SSDI claim. Most likely you will need to tell SSA that you are receiving rental income.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
11551 Forest Central Drive
Dallas, TX 75382
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.