Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldBlawg SearchResponsive Law
- Family Law
Credit Cards Accepted
We accept all major credit cards; good personal checks; certified funds; cash.
Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
My initial consultation fee is $100. for one hour. My usual hourly rate is $400 per hour, adjusted for veterans and on case by case basis. For a Fee Estimate Only without detailed legal advice, I will speak with you for 5-10 min at no charge.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- State Bar of Texas
- ID Number: 02773700
- Federal District Court, Northern District of Texas
- English: Spoken, Written
- Cotten Schmidt, LLP
- Head of Family Law Section
- Law Office of Jon R. Boyd
- Sole Member/Practitioner
- Boyd Family Law, PLLC
- Over 40 years of practice, I have had partners for some periods of time but have been a Sole Practitioner since 2007.
- Boyd and Boyd, LLP
- Family Law Practice in Far N. Dallas/Addison/W. Plano
- University of Houston - Main Campus
- J.D. (1978) | Law Degree
- Southern Methodist University
- B.B.A. | Real Estate, Tax Law
- Tarrant Co. Bar Association
- Denton Co. Bar Association
- The Family Section of the State Bar of Texas
- Hood County Bar Associaton
- - Current
- Dallas Bar Association
- - Current
- Collin County Bar Association
- - Current
- State Bar of Texas  # 02773700
- - Current
Websites & Blogs
- Jon R. Boyd's Website Profile
- Law Office of Jon R. Boyd Website
- Cotten Schmidt, LLP Attorney Profile
- Boyd Family Law Blog
- Can a Father Really Win a Custody Battle?
2 July 2020
- If We Share Custody, Do I Still Have to Pay Child Support?
25 June 2020
- Do I Need a QDRO in My Divorce?
18 June 2020
95 Questions Answered
- Q. Can I take my daughter out of the new school my wife put her in after abducting her?
- A: Absent a court order, both parents are equally entitled to possession of the child, to enroll the child in school, decide where the child lives, etc. So you both could snatch the child from each other back and forth forever, theoretically. This is obviously bad for your child, which is why you should immediately file for divorce and seek a temporary order from the court which will determine these questions. It may be possible for you to get an Ex Parte order when you file your case if you attach an affidavit showing the judge that the child's circumstances with her mother are such that an emergency order should be granted giving you immediate possession pending hearing. Bottom line, you should consult with an experienced attorney in your county asap.
- Q. What do I need to do to get a divorce from my husband who was deported back to Mexico? We have a 9 yr old daughter.
- A: File a Petition for Divorce assuming you have lived in Texas the last 6 mos and you have lived in the same county in which you're going to file for for the past 90 days. Then, though, you run into how to get him legally served. Best you consult with a lawyer because there are several possibilities re which method you legally should use and how to go about it.
- Q. What should I do if my unborn son's mother is already threating me with not being able to see my child be born
- A: You will need to file a petition in suit affecting parent child relationship. Either to establish parentage thru DNA testing or, if you're able to sign an Acknowledgement of Paternity, that will make you the legal father and then you're past having to prove your're the father and you will deal with the custody, visitation, child support, last name, issues. I'd be happy to help if you'd like. -Jon Boyd
Contact & Map