Jon R. Boyd

Jon R. Boyd

Partner, CottenSchmidt, LLP; over 40 yrs experience in contested Family Law
  • Divorce, Family Law, Probate
  • Texas
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ABlawg SearchSocial MediaResponsive Law

Hi, I'm Jon R. Boyd.

If you need a Family Law/Divorce attorney, let my experience, knowledge, loyalty and aggressiveness work for you!

I have practiced Family Law/Divorce for 40 years in all the various courts in the DFW metroplex as well as many other towns and cities across Texas and have been a fierce advocate for fair and equal treatment for Fathers and Men's Rights in divorce and family law matters for the last 25 of those years. After many years of solo practice in Dallas/W. Plano/Addison, I have taken a position as a Partner at CottenSchmidt, LLP, in Ft. Worth. I still accept cases anywhere.

Why you should hire me:

1. RESPONSIVE SERVICE- My team and I provide excellent client service and constant communication. We promptly return calls, answer emails, copy clients on everything and keep clients updated regularly on their case status.
2. REAL EXPERIENCE- I have personally handled well over a thousand high conflict, complex cases to conclusion, most of which were contested and required temporary and final trials, including numerous jury trials. I am happy to go to trial for you.
3. OPTION TO SETTLE- The Courts encourage and often mandate settlement and I encourage it as well. I am a skilled and detailed negotiator, creating leverage before mediation. I will guide you on what you should agree upon and how the agreement should be worded.
4. TEAM SUPPORT: I have the support of a team of associate attorneys and staff to assist on your case.
5. FLEX LOCATIONS: I will also meet with you in Plano or Granbury if you wish.
6. PERSONAL EXPERIENCE: I, too, have personally experienced the struggle of obtaining equal parenting rights and significant access to my own children in a divorce. I can relate and guide you.

Call: 817-338-4500
See me at and

My Consultation Fee is $100 for an hour.

I also give quick 5 min. calls at no charge to give you a fee quote once you tell me a quick overview of your case.

Practice Areas
Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
Family Law
Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    We accept all major credit cards; good personal checks; certified funds; cash.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    My initial consultation fee is $100. for one hour. My usual hourly rate is $400 per hour, adjusted for veterans and on case by case basis. For a Fee Estimate Only without detailed legal advice, I will speak with you for 5-10 min at no charge.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State Bar of Texas
ID Number: 02773700
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Federal District Court, Northern District of Texas
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Cotten Schmidt, LLP
Head of Family Law Section
Law Office of Jon R. Boyd
Sole Member/Practitioner
Boyd Family Law, PLLC
Over 40 years of practice, I have had partners for some periods of time but have been a Sole Practitioner since 2007.
Boyd and Boyd, LLP
Family Law Practice in Far N. Dallas/Addison/W. Plano
University of Houston - Main Campus
J.D. (1978) | Law Degree
University of Houston - Main Campus Logo
Southern Methodist University
B.B.A. | Real Estate, Tax Law
Southern Methodist University Logo
Professional Associations
Tarrant Co. Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Denton Co. Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
The Family Section of the State Bar of Texas
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Hood County Bar Associaton
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Collin County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Dallas Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
State Bar of Texas  # 02773700
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Websites & Blogs
Jon R. Boyd's Website Profile
Law Office of Jon R. Boyd Website
Cotten Schmidt, LLP Attorney Profile
Boyd Family Law Blog
Legal Answers
95 Questions Answered
Q. Can I take my daughter out of the new school my wife put her in after abducting her?
A: Absent a court order, both parents are equally entitled to possession of the child, to enroll the child in school, decide where the child lives, etc.

So you both could snatch the child from each other back and forth forever, theoretically.

This is obviously bad for your child, which is why you should immediately file for divorce and seek a temporary order from the court which will determine these questions. It may be possible for you to get an Ex Parte order when you file your case if you attach an affidavit showing the judge that the child's circumstances with her mother are such that an emergency order should be granted giving you immediate possession pending hearing.

Bottom line, you should consult with an experienced attorney in your county asap. ... Read More
Q. What do I need to do to get a divorce from my husband who was deported back to Mexico? We have a 9 yr old daughter.
A: File a Petition for Divorce assuming you have lived in Texas the last 6 mos and you have lived in the same county in which you're going to file for for the past 90 days.

Then, though, you run into how to get him legally served.

Best you consult with a lawyer because there are several possibilities re which method you legally should use and how to go about it.
Q. What should I do if my unborn son's mother is already threating me with not being able to see my child be born
A: You will need to file a petition in suit affecting parent child relationship. Either to establish parentage thru DNA testing or, if you're able to sign an Acknowledgement of Paternity, that will make you the legal father and then you're past having to prove your're the father and you will deal with the custody, visitation, child support, last name, issues.

I'd be happy to help if you'd like. -Jon Boyd
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Law Office of Jon R. Boyd
100 Energy Way
Fort Worth, TX 76102
Telephone: (817) 338-4500
Fax: (817) 338-4599
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.