Free Consultation: (219) 228-8899Tap to Call This Lawyer
John Mario Acosta Jr.

John Mario Acosta Jr.

Your Dedicated Attorney
  • Divorce, Family Law, Immigration Law
  • Indiana
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

John M. Acosta Jr. was born and raised in Southern California. In July 1996, he enlisted in the United States Army. He served as a Military Police Officer for almost two years, with his remaining three years as a Military Police K-9 Officer, at various military installations. In February 2001, he was honorably discharged. In December 2001, he pursued a career in law enforcement. He spent almost twelve years with various Police and Sheriff’s Offices throughout the State of Georgia. During that time, he worked as a patrol officer and was eventually promoted to the rank of Sergeant. As a U.S. Army Military Police Veteran and Law Enforcement Officer in State of Georgia, he has over 15 years of combined law enforcement experience. During those years he performed numerous DUI, misdemeanor, and felony investigations. Additionally, he works as a Deputy Prosecuting Attorney for the State of Indiana and has conducted numerous state court trials. Although, he does not consider himself an expert, he does consider himself highly qualified to interpret and evaluate law enforcement actions.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Immigration Law
  • Free Consultation
    First half hour.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, MasterCard, Discover
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Chief Deputy Prosecutor
Starke County Prosecutor's Office
- Current
Acosta Law Office
- Current
Deputy Prosecutor
Porter County Prosecutor's Office
Law Clerk
Bockman & Associates, LLC
Law Clerk/Externship
Northern District of Indiana Federal Community Defender's Office
Law Clerk/Externship
Porter County Prosecutor's Office
Law Clerk/Externship
Lake County Public Defender's Office (Conflicts Division)
Judicial Clerk
William Alexa - Superior Court #2
Law Clerk/Externship
Porter County Prosecutor's Office
Law Clerk/Internship
Lake County Prosecutor's Office
Valparaiso University School of Law
J.D. (2015) | Law
Troy University - Troy campus
M.S. (2012) | Criminal Justice
Troy University - Troy campus
B.S. (2010) | Criminal Justice
Professional Associations
Indiana State Bar # 33749-45
Indiana State Bar Association
- Current
Porter County Bar Association
- Current
Calumet Inns of Court
- Current
Lake County Bar Association
- Current
Articles & Publications
Evaluating and Understanding Police Use of Force
Hammond Cops Used Justified Force
Post-Tribune, A Chicago Sun-Times Publication
Captured for Capturing
Valpo Law Blog
Valpo Law Blog
Liberally Conservitive
Valpo Law Blog
Interest of Justice
Valpo Law Blog
The Warrant Requirement
Valpo Law Blog
Valpo Law Blog
On Shaky Ground When Searching for that Smell
Valpo Law Blog
Improper Conduct in an Untimely Manner
Valpo Law Blog
Spontaneous Utterances Have Family Ties
Valpo Law Blog
Speaking Engagements
Law Practice Management, Valparaiso University Law School, Valparaiso, Indiana
Bar Prep Strategies, Valparaiso University Law School, Valparaiso, Indiana
Law Enforcement Officer
Georgia Peace Officers Standards and Training Counsel
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
67 Questions Answered

Q. How long do i have to wait after my divorce is final to remarry?
A: As long as the judge has signed the divorce decree finalizing your divorce, you have received a file stamped copy of that order from the court, you can get married anytime after that.
Q. Child Support Calculation After Spouse remarries.
A: Based on your question if there has been a substantial change in circumstances child support can be re-calculated. If that is found you can request her spouses income be imputed into the calculation but you must be able to prove that the other income is covering what are the needs of the child.
Q. My son is ordered to complete 95% of his parenting time with his 15 month son before he is able to have ANY OVERNIGHTS?
A: Based on your question and without reading the visitation/parenting time order, usually in my experience most parents are supposed to have paid 95% of their child support in order to claim the child on taxes, then according to the guideline it should be consistent parenting time for 6 to 9 months prior to the non-custodial parent receives overnights, of course this all depends on the age of the child as to how many overnights you receive.
Q. My mother is being emotionally abusive. Can i go to the police what's happening and they keep me away from her?
A: You are running a great risk to yourself and your child. If you run away you can be charged as a runaway and placed into the juvenile system. Additionally, you will be placed back with your mother until you reach the age of majority which is 18 in the State of Indiana. You can call the police and advise them of what is going on but I see them being able to do little for you. Moreover, if you run away the Department of Family and Child Services may get involved because of you running away and the allegations you are making and open an investigation. There again they may leave you with your mother, put you with other family, or foster care if they deem the home is not safe for you. This in turn could have a negative outcome on your unborn child. I wish you the best of luck in your situation but would advise you to not run away and try to talk with your mother about staying with other family in the area or staying in the home until you turn 18.
Q. Can a 20 yr old get arrested for putting his hands on his 8 yr old half brother?
A: Yes he can.
Q. if I'm 17 are my dad and step mom allowed to touch my personal property and things i have payed for myself
A: Based on your question, I can appreciate your situation being a young adult, but with that said you are considered a minor until you turn 18 and as such you can't own property. The property you speak of belongs to your parents or to those whom you live with. The property purchased by your mother would belong to her but if it is in their home then then can touch it and go through it. Furthermore, when you turn 18 and if you decide to move out and their is a dispute as to who owns the property you speak of without proof of ownership by you or your mother then your father and step-mother may be able to keep it, then you would have to small claims court to get it back but proof of ownership would be the key to getting it back. I hope this answer assists you with your situation.
Q. I have full physical custody of my daughter, me and her father have 50/50 legal. Can i move out of state?
A: You can but your daughter can't. You have to file notice with the court 90 days prior to your intent to move and he has 60 days to respond. This is an Indiana state law.
Q. Can you file for Divorce prior to terms of property settlement
A: Depends on the jurisdiction and court as to bifrication of the matter.
Q. I'm marrying someone from Brazil - are my children from my previous marriage
A: No.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
105 E Lincolnway #217
Valparaiso, IN 46383
Telephone: (219) 228-8899
Fax: (219) 228-8899