John M. Pennington was admitted to the Alabama State Bar in 1986, after graduating from Cumberland Law School in Birmingham, Alabama, that same year. Prior to attending law school, he received a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing, and was licensed and worked as a Registered Nurse in Alabama, Colorado, and California.
After completing law school, he began the practice of law with a small firm in Andalusia, Alabama, where he hoped to put his knowledge of medicine to use as a trial lawyer. He was extremely fortunate to work for and learn from one of the pioneers in Alabama personal injury law, Frank Tipler. During this time, Mr. Pennington’s practice included cases involving medical malpractice, products liability, motor vehicle accidents, and worker’s compensation.
In 1990, Mr. Pennington returned to Birmingham. For the next twelve years, he continued to represent personal injury clients and injured workers, but also began representing the interests of the disabled. In particular, he began representing individuals seeking Social Security disability benefits and individuals whose benefits had been denied by long-term disability insurance companies. His background in medicine was particularly well suited to these cases which almost always involve medical problems.
In January 2003, Mr. Pennington formed the Pennington Law Firm, L.L.C., where today he continues to focus on protecting the rights of the disabled, and continues to represent people with claims against long-term disability insurance companies. This includes individual claims, as well as those governed by the Employees Retirement Income Security Act (“ERISA”). He now has been litigating claims against long-term disability carriers for over 25 years.
- Social Security Disability
- Free Consultation
Free Initial Consultation about your potential case.
- Contingent Fees
- 11th Circuit
- Federal Circuit
- Pennington Law Firm, LLC
- - Current
- Tipler Law Firm
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University
- J.D. (1986) | Law
- University of Alabama - Birmingham
- B.S. | Nursing
- Alabama State Bar
- - Current
- Pennington Law Firm Blog
- Social Security Cost of Living Adjustment for 2019
4 April 2019
- Uncle Sam Might Soon Be Watching
11 March 2019
- Nancy A. Berryhill, Acting Commissioner of Social Security, an expansion of Compassionate Allowance program
20 November 2018
- Cooperative Disability Investigations (CDI) Units recently opened across the country
19 November 2018
- You Should Now Be Able To Apply For SSI On-line
19 November 2018
- When To Sign Up/Enroll For Medicare To Avoid Penalties
6 November 2018
- Having an attorney that knows medical terms is crucial to your SSD claim
11 October 2018
- What is the Best age to Start Social Security?
2 October 2018