Free Consultation: (951) 405-0555Tap to Call This Lawyer
Profile Image Placeholder

John Karas

Serious case? You need a SERIUOSLY GOOD LAWYER.
  • Criminal Law, DUI & DWI, Domestic Violence ...
  • California, California
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Trial attorney (not merely a negotiator). Criminal defense (misdemeanors and felonies), Civil (personal injury) and Appellate (criminal and civil). Worked on the defense team for then San Diego Mayor Roger Hedgecock. Written successful briefs and oral argument in both Civil and Criminal Appeals.

Specialize in Criminal Defense cases up to and including trial.

Practice Areas
    Criminal Law
    Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
    DUI & DWI
    Domestic Violence
    Domestic Violence Criminal Defense
    Cannabis & Marijuana Law
    Marijuana Business Formation
    White Collar Crime
    Personal Injury
    Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
    Products Liability
    Drugs & Medical Devices, Motor Vehicle Defects, Toxic Torts
    Civil Rights
    Police Misconduct
    Insurance Claims
    Bad Faith Insurance
    Appeals & Appellate
    Civil Appeals
  • Free Consultation
    30 minutes devoted totally to your case (not your financial information like most lawyers/law firms).
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Federal Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
San Diego State Univ
Undergraduate Degree
Placeholder image for education.
California Western School of Law
Law Degree
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
California State Bar  # 115833
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Law Office of John Karas
Legal Answers
198 Questions Answered
Q. If I could prove a traffic stop was an illegal stop by the police would I get whatever was seized from the search back ?
A: It's not as simple as walking into to court with pictures or even video tape showing that the intersection did not have a sign posted that it was illegal to make a right turn on a red light. You don't know it that was the only reason the cop pulled you over. If evidence was seized supporting other charges, the cop report may reflect that or other reasons why the stop was made as cops are known to lie. A formal motion will need to be filed to suppress any evidence seized as a result of warrantless search. This in not a DIJ motion. It requires legal points and authorities why the stop was unlawful and the evidence seized should be suppressed. Also, a hearing will be held in where your attorney gets a chance to cross-examine the cop who stopped and arrested you to poke holes in the DA's case. I suggest you consult with a skilled and experiences criminal defense attorney who specializes in unlawful search and seizure law. Depending on nature of the items seized and other charges which may be filed, you may have a lot at stake in making sure you have the best chance to win.
Q. Can a person be sue someone for defamation of caretor if they send you pictures of your son dead & call u a killer.
A: It depends. If pictures of your dead son and message that you're a "killer" were only sent to you, that's not defamation unless it was "published" (sent to other persons). Also, be aware that if you display or otherwise disseminate the pictures and message to someone else, the person tormenting you would not be held liable (responsible) as you be considered as having "re-published" the defamatory material yourself. However, even if defamation doesn't apply, you have other potential remedies such as Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress (IIED) among other others. I suggest you consult with a skilled and experienced civil litigation attorney who handles defamation, IIED cases in your area.
Q. I am being cyber harassed and stalked by an ex boyfriend since April 22, 2022, and he refuses to leave me alone. Help?
A: You can file a Civil Harassment Restraining Order (CHRO) pursuant to Code of Civil Procedure 527.6 against your ex-BF. You can DIY, hire an attorney or paralegal to do so on your behalf. If your papers are prepared properly with evidence in support attached (and it sounds like you have plenty), 9 times out of 10 a TRO (Temporary Restraining Order) will be issued. However, you face 2 problems with a CHRO. First, I'm not sure a California court would have jurisdiction since your ex-BF resides in Canada. Even if the court has such jurisdiction, the TRO has to be personally served on him in Canada (you will have to hire a process server near where he lives) so he has notice and the opportunity to be heard/attend a hearing whether a Permanent Injection (PI) should be issued. Then there's the matter of whether the court in California can enforce violations of the PI unless the courts in the province of Canada where he resides upon notification of violation of the PI would enforce it. You can also call and hire an attorney in the city of the province of Canada where your ex-BF lives to see if it has similar laws to CCP 527.6 to obtain a TRO leading to a a PI or other remedies to put a stop to his harassment of you. All of the foregoing options will likely cost you a lost of money. The saving grace to CCP 527.6 is that it has an attorney's fee provision that if you win (a PI is issued), you may be able to be reimbursed for legal fees you paid (it's discretionary under the statute). Your better course of action might be to contact the authorities (local police in the city of the province your ex-BF lives in Canada) and report that he has exhibited "suicidal ideation" if you have proof of the same (not just your word for it, but something in writing, other witness statements confirming the same, etc.). They can take him to a local hospital for an involuntary psychiatric evaluation for 3 days to up to 3 weeks (if Canada has similar laws to California Welfare and Institutions sections 5150 or 5350) regarding his mental state and whether he poses a risk of danger to himself or others. This is not intended as legal advice as no attorney-client relationship has been formed. Good luck.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Law Office of John Karas
43537 Ridge Park Dr.
Temecula, CA 92590
Telephone: (951) 405-0555
Monday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Tuesday: 8 AM - 5 PM (Today)
Wednesday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Notice: Appointments on weekends available.
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.