Free Consultation: (405) 657-2323Tap to Call This Lawyer
John Cannon

John Cannon

Cannon Law Firm, PLLC
  • Criminal Law, Divorce, DUI & DWI...
  • Oklahoma, Western, Eastern, and Northern Districts of Oklahoma
Review This Lawyer
Lawyer Rating and Reviews
Legal Knowledge
Legal Analysis
Communication Skills
Ethics and Professionalism
Rating: 10 Justia Lawyer Rating - 10 out of 10
Mr. Cannon is one of the few lawyers who can step into a courtroom that is in a state, federal, or military venue - handle the appeal - and win it at any level.
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldSocial Media

Cannon & Associates is dedicated to Fierce Advocacy for Families and Freedom and a leading criminal defense and family law firm in Edmond. Founded by former prosecutor, Assistant Attorney General, and current reservist Judge Advocate, John P. Cannon.

You need professional legal counsel, if you have been arrested or are facing divorce or child custody issues. Your rights are at stake, you need to speak to an experienced attorney today. Each case is unique and I have extensive experience with complex and straightforward cases. I am a trial attorney, an advocate, and we will Fight for your Rights.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • Divorce
  • DUI & DWI
  • Military Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Western, Eastern, and Northern Districts of Oklahoma
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
10th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Cannon Law Firm, PLLC
- Current
Judge Advocate
Judge Advocate General's Corps
- Current
Assistant Attorney General
Oklahoma Attorney General's Office
Litigation Division attorney handling complex torts and employment law cases for a variety of state agencies and department heads in state and federal court.
Assistant Public Defender
Oklahoma County Public Defender's Office
Handled all aspects of a felony docket, including jury trials, motion practice, investigations, and negotiation.
Assistant District Attorney
Garfield County District Attorney's Office
Handled all aspects of felony prosecution from assisting in coordination of investigations through jury trial.
Judge Advocate General’s Legal Center and School
JAG | Military Law
Placeholder image for education.
Oklahoma City University School of Law
J.D. (2010)
Activities: National Trial Team and AAJ Trial Team
Oklahoma City University School of Law Logo
University of Kansas
B.A. (2010) | English
Activities: Varsity Football lettermen
University of Kansas Logo
Rising Star
Super Lawyers
40 Under 40
National Trial Lawyers Association
Recognition as top 40 under 40 in criminal defense
Professional Associations
10th Circuit Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Judge Advocate General's Corps
Judge Advocate
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Oklahoma Criminal Defense Lawyers Assocation
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Oklahoma State Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
William J. Holloway American Inn of Court
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Investigative Detention, the Warrantless Seizure of Citizens
Oklahoma Bar Journal
Baxter a 'Warranted New Frontier"
Oklahoma Bar Journal
Speaking Engagements
A Night with the Justices: A Few Good Men, Oklahoma History Center
Oklahoma Supreme Court
Legal analysis of the movie A Few Good Men through the lens of the Uniform Code of Military Justice and other applicable military law.
Legal Answers
16 Questions Answered

Q. What can my niece do to get her child support that the judge ordered.
A: She needs to seek enforcement through the court with the assistance of counsel.
Q. Charged with obstruction of an officer and tased because I was walking to my house after coming home to several authorit
A: You need to speak to a defense attorney about your rights and the process. Excessive force cases have a high standard due to qualified immunity. You should discuss that with a qualified attorney as well.
Q. How do I dismiss a domestic violence case. Can I make a affidavit of non prosecution?
A: The District Attorney’s Office has discretion on how they handle your case. You and your husband need the assistance of an attorney who handles domestic violence cases.
Q. How much time does chain of command have to initiate a statement of charges?
A: You need legal assistance office or a retained attorney to assist you in your FLIPL rebuttal. Not having a signed hand receipt for government property is potentially a valid defense.
Q. What does "it is a defense to prosocution" mean? Specifically in §21-1289.18 D.
A: You need to speak to an experienced criminal defense attorney in Texas, if that is the location of the case at issue.
Q. Can my child's dad take him out of state if no legal papers have been signed?
A: He does not have the authority to take the child out of state. You should mutually or independent initiate a paternity suit in Oklahoma with the assistant of counsel.
Q. My 20 yr old grsndson has been in trouble several times for fights now hes being charged with 1st degree burglary
A: Burglary charges do carrry prison time in Oklahoma, along with all other felony charges. Your family needs experienced criminal defense counsel.
Q. Will this effect me since I want to be a police
A: You need to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney licensed in the state you were arrested. He/she may be able to assist you in resolving the case without negatively impacting your chances of becoming a CLEET certified officer.
Q. Is jail time mandatory for a second DUI?
A: Jail time is not mandatory for a second DUI; however, it is difficult to obtain a probationary sentence without an attorney fighting for you. You should contact an attorney for assistance.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Cannon & Associates
2133 N. Kelly Avenue, Suite 100
Edmond, OK 73003
Telephone: (405) 657-2323