Free Consultation: (503) 222-7401Tap to Call This Lawyer
Joanne Reisman

Joanne Reisman
  • Estate Planning, Probate, Personal Injury...
  • Oregon
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Portland Legal Services specializes in Personalized Advocacy. This is a full service civil law firm. We cross specialize in several related areas of the law which means that we can offer you comprehensive solutions to difficult issues that require knowledge in several legal sub-specialties. We can help you with issues in the areas of: Family Law (Divorce, Custody, Support), Paternity, Bankruptcy (Chapter 7), Wills, Trusts, Estate Planning, Elder Law (Special Needs Trusts), Probate, Conservatorships, Guardianships, , Personal Injury, Auto Accidents, Small Business, Real Estate, and Civil Litigation. If you don't see your problem area listed here, please contact us to see if it is something we also cover. Please use the case evaluation link on our web page to get a free initial evaluation.

Practice Areas
  • Estate Planning
  • Probate
  • Personal Injury
  • Divorce
  • Bankruptcy
  • Elder Law
  • Family Law
  • Business Law
Additional Practice Areas
  • Car Accidents
  • General Civil
  • Free Consultation
    I will often do a free screening of a potential case. It is not technically a consultation but it can help you make the decision as to whether or not to proceed with a paid consultation. Please use the case evaluation link on our web page to get a free initial evaluation.
  • Contingent Fees
    Contingent Fee arrangements are offered for Personal Injury cases.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Please use the case evaluation link on our web page to get a free initial evaluation.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
9th Circuit
  • Spanish: Spoken
Professional Experience
Sole Practicioner
Joanne Reisman
- Current
Associate Lawyer
Shannon and Johnson
Associate Lawyer
Case and Dusterhoff
Associate Lawyer
Harrington Anderson and DeBlasio
Law Clerk
Darrel Lee Law Office
Lewis & Clark Law School
J.D. / Law
Honors: Am Jur Award Remedies
University of California - Los Angeles
B.S. / Business/Economics
Honors: Cum Laude
Am Jur Award for Remedies
Northwestern School of Law at Lewis and Clark College
This award was for receiving the highest overall score in the class on remedies.
Professional Associations
Oregon Trial Lawyers Association
- Current
Oregon State Bar # 833832
- Current
Washington County Bar Association
- Current
Multnomah Bar Association
- Current
Articles & Publications
The Family Law Section of the Oregon State Bar
Representing the Immigrant Client in Bankruptcy
Debtor-Creditor Section of the Oregon State Bar
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
257 Questions Answered

Q. Paramedics refused to take me to the hospital - can I sue them? They misdiagnosed a heart condition.
A: Hard to say. If you had another way to get to the hospital you should have gone. On the other hand, if they led you to believe that you didn't need to go and you relied on that, there could be liability. But you will have to meet several prongs to have a case, first you have to prove not just that they made a mistake, but that the mistake is the type that someone else with their training is not likely to make, that they were negligence as compared to another professional with the same training. Also you have to prove that you suffered an injury that could have been prevented if the negligent act had not happened. Finally you have to prove that you either relied on them in your subsequent choice of action (not going to the hospital). Also, it is my experience that paramedics will call a local ER doctor and ask for their instructions as to whether to transport or not transport a patient, so it may not be the paramedics who made the decision. All you can do at this point is gather all your medical records and go and talk to an attorney who does medical malpractice and see if you have a case.
Q. Can a non biological father get visitation rights to see their son?
A: Probably - it would be under this law: You have to file while you still meet the qualifications as defined by the law, so you should hurry and get an attorney and get something filed if the mother only recently cut off your visits. Read the text of the law and you will understand what I am talking about.
Q. Can I make sure my husband does not receive any of my SSD/SSI backpayment settlement in our divorce?
A: Now one can tell you for sure. There are ways that the court can consider your SSI/SSD settlement as going to you and give you a smaller share of something else. You really need to talk to an attorney who can help you look at the entire financial picture and tell you what to ask for and what the court is likely to do. Also if you are truly getting SSI, not SSD, you have to be very careful as to what you are awarded in the divorce because SSI has strict limits as to what you can have in terms of money and investments but some assets are exempt. You should make sure the attorney you talk to knows something about elder law AND family law.
Q. What is your recourse if a lien holder refuses to respond/acknowledge a request to release a satisfied lien?
A: You could file an action in the court for a declaratory judgment that declares that the obligation is paid in full or you can pay her the lien amount when the property sells. A lien holder can't prevent a sale if the amount of their lien is being tendered to them. You may have to file in court if she is being difficult and won't sign off on the sale.
Q. I currently pay child support for two children. One of them moved in with me the other moved in with a friend and the
A: You can first see if the district attorney will help you modify the child support order at no charge. Otherwise you will need to file to modify it yourself. There are forms at the courthouse you can use but you will need an attorney to help you because you will need to get the mother's financial information and do a new calculation. You can change the order so you don['t have to pay for the child that is living with you and in fact you can have an order created stating that the mother needs to send you support for that child. You cannot cut off support for the 17 year old, but you may be able to switch who it gets paid to. Either way, money needs to be send to help pay for her expenses where she is currently living and your 17 year old will still be able to get payments, sent to her directly, when she turns 18, if she qualifies as a child attending school under Oregon Law.
Q. Oregon my daughter is in dhs custody in foster care I still have my parental rights can I legally obtain her records
A: If your daughter is in foster care there is likely to be a juvenile court case pending. You should either retain an attorney to represent you in the juvenile court case or ask the juvenile court to appoint an attorney to represent you. There are specific laws that restrict access to juvenile court records so your best bet is to work through your own attorney.
Q. Can the aunt of a toddler motion for temporary custody under immediate danger statutes
A: Possibly but you will need an attorney to help and advise you. This statute might allow you to Petition: Alternatively you may be able to file for guardianship. However if DHS has already gotten involved and the juvenile court has placed the children it may be harder to get involved. The entire situation is much easier if the parents both consent to the placement of the child with the Aunt, voluntarily, before DHS gets involved. It doesn't sound like father is going to allow this voluntarily. Go talk to an attorney.
Q. I would like to know if I can reside in the apartment during the 30 days notice. The landlord said no. Thank you.
A: This is a landlord tenant law question, not a general real estate law question. Try reposting it as a landlord tenant question. Or better yet, just make an appointment to talk to a landlord tenant lawyer. Just from your brief summary I suspect that the landlord has violated Oregon Landlord Tenant Law in multiple ways and an experienced Landlord Tenant Lawyer will be very happy to take your case. Not my area of specialty but I have seen some LLT cases and this sounds like one you will win.
Q. dad left a will to his house to Mom and I. owe 50g's how do we keep from losing it? make payments on his debt?
A: If you take the time to consult with an attorney who has expertise in both debt and probate, you will probaby get some really good answers. But the Attorney will need to spend some time asking questions and make sure they know all the details of the situation before they can respond. So it is just not possible to trouble shoot this on the internet. What I have seen that may or may not apply, is home mortgage companies will generally let the widow of the deceased person take over paying the mortgage on a house without requiring them to refinance. One has to be be careful as to how one figures this out because if the mortgage won't allow this and you call them they may foreclose the house just because the primary mortgage holder has now died, but if they just keep getting checks in the mail they might not care. They normally don't care who pays the mortgage, just that they get a check every month on time. As for the vehicles, it is easy to take the will and a death certificate down to DMV and get the title of a vehicle transferred into the name of the recipient. There are often things you can do to keep property after someone dies and sometimes you can delay or avoid paying creditors. So your Uncle may be acting on what he thinks is right but he might be very surprised to find out that there are better ways to do things. He may just need to get good legal advice from an experienced probate attorney. Experienced being the key word - some of the newer attorneys haven't learned all the tricks yet.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
732 SW 3rd Ave
Suite 304
Portland, OR 97204
Telephone: (503) 222-7401