Jessica Wildeus

Jessica Wildeus

Tingen & Williams, PLLC
  • Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic Tickets...
  • Virginia
Review This Lawyer
Lawyer Rating and Reviews
Legal Knowledge
Legal Analysis
Communication Skills
Ethics and Professionalism
Rating: 10 Justia Lawyer Rating - 10 out of 10
Jessica works tirelessly to zealously represent her clients.
Client Reviews
Reviewed by G. M. February 7, 2020
Very professional
I will recommend , so happy with my results on my court. She's really help. Professional. Good communication Whit the clients .make your problem on a good solution . always is on contact, definitely I get her service on the future again if I need i t.
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Originally from Norfolk, I moved to Richmond in 2014 to attend the University of Richmond School of Law. During law school, I spent my summers working in legal aid and public defender offices around the region and graduated with a Pro Bono Certification.

I currently work at Tingen & Williams as a criminal and family law attorney, where I help people with cases ranging from traffic offenses to divorce and child custody.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • Family Law
  • Traffic Tickets
  • DUI & DWI
  • Divorce
  • Cannabis & Marijuana Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • Maritime Law
  • Juvenile Law
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Tingen & Williams, PLLC
- Current
Criminal Defense and Family Law
University of Richmond School of Law
J.D. (2018)
University of Richmond School of Law Logo
Professional Associations
Virginia State Bar # 93850
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Virginia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Metro Richmond Women's Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
The Uncertain Status of the Puerto Rico Ports Authority: Working Towards a Uniform Arm-of-the-State Test
American Bar Association Admiralty and Maritime Law Committee Newsletter
Websites & Blogs
Tingen & Williams Website
Legal Answers
6 Questions Answered

Q. Is it easier to get a divorce than an anullment? I married someone to help them immigrate, now very ugly
A: It is a common misconception that you can get an annulment in Virginia when a marriage hasn't been consummated. The grounds for annulment in this state are very narrow, so it's pretty uncommon. It is much more common for couples to file for divorce, even if they have had short or unconsummated marriages. You will have to consult with an attorney to determine how difficult it will be to get a divorce. When and if you file for divorce, if you have a prenuptial agreement, this will likely govern the terms of your separation.
Q. in a non-community property state, can a spouse obtain your finances for dates post-separation? How is it relevant?
A: During a divorce, many couples go through a process called equitable distribution, which is essentially the division of any property owned during the marriage. One or both spouses may also request spousal support (alimony) or child support. Obtaining financial documents, especially income information, will be relevant to determining spousal or child support as those calculations are based on the income of the parties, among other factors. Those documents will also be relevant to equitable distribution - however, this can be a complex process, so if you and your spouse are dividing your assets as part of your divorce, you should consult with an attorney.
Q. I was married in nc but live in va now n my spouse lives in nc can I file for divorce in va
A: You can file for divorce in Virginia as long as either you or your spouse have lived here for at least six months prior to filing. So if you have lived in VA for at least six months, you can file here. If your children live in North Carolina, a Virginia court would likely not have jurisdiction (the power to make a decision) over any custody issues. If you file in Virginia, and your spouse lives in NC, you must also be careful to get jurisdiction over your spouse, since they live out of state. The easiest way to do this is to have them consent to jurisdiction. You can also have a North Carolina sheriff serve them with divorce papers. You can consult with either a private attorney or one of Virginia's pro bono services to make sure this is done properly.
Q. I am a military member who has previously lived in FL and I am registered to vote in FL. Can I file for divorce in FL?
A: You need to check with a Florida attorney to answer this question.
Q. Can my mother press charges for me taking my dog?
A: Probably not. Generally speaking, Virginia law treats animals as property, making theft of animals in Virginia a crime. Va. Code 18.2-97 defines this as larceny and a felony. In order for anyone to be prosecuted for this, a complaining witness must first establish that the animal in question was, in fact, theirs to begin with. In this situation, it sounds like you may have been living with your parents for some time with your dog in the same home. On one hand, your parents purchased the dog and have paperwork in their name. On the other, it seems the dog was meant for you, and you have ESA paperwork filed with your school. It seems likely that, should your mother file a complaint, a responding officer would consider this a domestic issue rather than a criminal one. However, if you are concerned, as an added measure you can make sure you have the proper documentation in order for the dog. For example, when you move, make sure the municipal pet license for the dog is in your name.
Q. I got pulled over for failing to stop at a stop sign in va. The cop gave me a ticket with a court date on it.
A: The short answer to your question is no, this would not be grounds for having your case thrown out. Law enforcement officers can stop your vehicle to give you a citation when they notice you have broken the law in some way, such as by speeding or disregarding a traffic signal. While this isn't what we think of as an "arrest," it is temporary detention by an officer due to your infraction. What the ticket refers to as "arrest location" in this case just means the location where the officer stopped your car after noticing the infraction.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Tingen & Williams, PLLC
1801 Bayberry Court
Suite 203
Richmond, VA 23226
Telephone: (804) 477-1720