Free Consultation: (757) 838-1136Tap to Call This Lawyer
Jan F Hoen

Jan F Hoen

Hampton Injury Law PLC, Your Personal Lawyer on the Peninsula
  • Personal Injury, Workers' Compensation, Medical Malpractice
  • Virginia
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldSocial Media

Mr. Hoen resides in Hampton and has been practicing since 1989 throughout the state and federal courts of Virginia. His practice focuses on representing injury victims. He has recovered millions for his clients and is actively involved in his church and community. His fee is never more than his client receives as a net recovery after all of their bills and liens are paid.

Practice Areas
  • Personal Injury
  • Workers' Compensation
  • Medical Malpractice
  • Free Consultation
    Regardless of whether or not I am retained, I will provide valuable assistance through a professional case evaluation, free of charge.
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
U.S. District Court, E.D. Va.
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Written
Professional Experience
Hampton Injury Law PLC
University of Richmond School of Law
J.D. (1989)
Activities: Worked for two years while in law school as intern at Office of the Attorney General, Criminal Appeals Section.
Roanoke College
(1986) Criminal Justice
Honors: Magna Cum Laude Senior Scholar for Criminal Justice Major
Top 100 Trial Lawyers
The National Trial Lawyers
10 Best Rating in Client Satisfaction
American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys Board of Regents
The American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys looks for Attorneys that have achieved unparalleled success but most importantly have done so for the benefit of their client. We compile an exclusive list of the “10 Best” Attorneys for each State. Very few Attorneys can do so and our organization recognizes this significant achievement.
Top Lawyers of Coastal Virginia
Coastal Virginia Magazine
AV Rating - Preeminent
Martindale Hubbell
highest possible peer rating in areas of personal injury, litigation, and worker's compensation
Superb rating
Highest rating, based on experience, industry recognition and professional conduct.
Trust Seal
Lead Counsel
Verified experience and peer recommended in fields of personal injury, worker's compensation and medical malpractice
Professional Associations
American Association for Justice
Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
Virginia State Bar Association
Hampton Bar Association
Virginia State Bar # 30162
Websites & Blogs
Hampton Injury Law
Legal Answers
119 Questions Answered

Q. Was unable to continue treatment employer wasn't paying bills
A: What is your question?
Q. Hurt back at work in July 2017, workers comp. paid benefits until Oct 2017, doctor released to full duty, he can't work
A: Quitting would terminate any claim for wage benefits beyond the day he quits. He should definitely not quit. If he already has an attorney, speak with him about his options. If not, it is time for him to retain one and get seen by a different doctor. He should also be marketing (looking for some kind of other employment) if there is no work excuse from a physician in place.
Q. I was in an accident,the other party was at fault,and she fought it. Her ticket was dismissed. What recourse do I have?
A: The answer depends on the facts of the accident. A traffic summons to the other party does not determine civil liability. You would still have the burden of proving that her negligence was the sole cause of the damage to your vehicle. In Virginia, you would be unable to recover if you were partly at fault regardless of which party's fault is greater. If you do not have collision coverage on your policy and have to pay for the repair, you would either have to retain counsel at your own expense to pursue a civil claim or else represent yourself in small claims court if you wish to recover your repair cost.
Q. I was awarded 500 wks. Through WC. Seven years later, an Employers App. was filled. Can they make me go through an IME?
A: If they have filed an application to terminate your wage benefits and it has been set for a hearing, it would be advisable to retain counsel. It is not possible to answer your question based solely on your description of events. If you already have counsel, your question needs to be directed to that attorney, who knows all the details of your case.
Q. How do I know whats included in a settlement ? Is there a list w; offer ?
A: My website addresses these issues with a list of "Do's and Dont's" under the Practice Areas section.
Q. February 2016 I was hurt at work, my injury was herniated disc (L4,L5) I have had two lumber surgeries.
A: There is much more information required to answer this question. For example: your average weekly wage; the new job's pay and any temporary partial benefits due; your impairment rating (if any, since you do not mention whether there is any residual leg disability); the future cost of pain management and whether the panel physician will confirm that it is necessary and related to the work injury; your prior medical history; etc. If you do not already have counsel, it would be advisable to retain an attorney to properly evaluate your case and what else is needed for settlement prior to having discussions with an adjuster, whose only agenda is closing out the claim for as small a sum as possible.
Q. How long does an adjuster have to look over a claim in the state of Virginia by Law ? Is there a time limit ? Thanks !
A: There is no specific time limit for an adjuster to respond to a personal injury claim demand. It varies by company and by adjuster, depending on their caseload. It is not unusual for it to take 30 days or more for an initial offer. Hopefully, you are not anywhere close to the statute of limitations date (two years from the date of the accident). If you are attempting to negotiate without an attorney, check my firm's website for a list of "Do's and Don'ts" found under the Practice Areas tab. You should find the information helpful.
Q. If I can not settle with Insurance company on claim, is 20 days to short notice to hire an attorney and file suit ?
A: If you are that close to the statute of limitations, see an attorney immediately. It may be difficult to retain someone so close to the deadline.
Q. PLEASE HELP , Is it too late to settle my personal injury claim on my own ?
A: My firm website has information on handling a claim. Look under the "Practice Areas" tab for a list of "Do's and Dont's". If the case does not settle soon, suit must be filed prior to the two year date or the claim will be barred forever. Do not wait until the last minute. It would be advisable to retain experienced counsel as soon as possible to protect your claim.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Hampton Injury Law PLC
2214 Executive Drive
Suite C
Hampton, VA 23666
Telephone: (757) 838-1136
Cell: (757) 759-8791
Fax: (757) 838-1125