James K. Riley

James K. Riley

Attorney O'Connell & Riley New York & New Jersey 845-735-5050
  • Civil Rights, Elder Law, Estate Planning ...
  • New Jersey, New York
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

James K. Riley is an attorney who provides clients with personal injury and product liability advocacy in New York and New Jersey. He also serves his clients in the complex areas of estate planning, estate administration, elder law business and tax planning in both states. Mr. Riley teaches as an Adjunct Professor in the fields of estate planning, elder law and finanical planning at Pace University in White Plains, New York as well as in the field of education law at Long Island University and Pace University. Mr. Riley is an Accredited Estate Planner and a Certified Financial Planner. He has served as President of the Rockland County Bar Association, as a member of the House of Delegates of the New York State Bar Association and as Town Attorney of the Town of Orangetown. He is also a member of the Greater New Jersey Estate Planning Council. Mr. Riley firmly believes a successful attorney must always possess a sincere dedication to helping people with legal needs.

Practice Areas
    Civil Rights
    Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Discrimination, Employment, Fair Housing, Police Misconduct, Privacy Law
    Elder Law
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Personal Injury
    Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
    Products Liability
    Drugs & Medical Devices, Motor Vehicle Defects, Toxic Torts
Additional Practice Area
  • Car Accidents
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New Jersey
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
Attorney Partner
O'Connell & Riley Attorneys at Law New York & New Jersey
- Current
Town Attorney
Town of Orangetown
Rutgers University - New Brunswick/Piscataway
J.D. (1970) | Law
Honors: Rutgers University School of Law Scholarship
Placeholder image for education.
Pro Bono Award
Rockland County Bar Association
Citizen of the Year
Our Town Newspaper
Paul Harris Fellow
Rotary International
Professional Associations
National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA)
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
National Associationof Estate Planning Councils
Accredited Estate Planner (A.E.P.)
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
National Institute of Certified Financial Planners
Certified Financial Planner
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
New York State Bar  # 1495969
Member House of Delegates 1988-1992, 1998-2002
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Rockland County Bar Association
President 1997-1998
- Current
Activities: President 1997-1998
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Rockland County Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
A Remarkable Case of Mistaken Identity
New York State Bar Associatin Journal
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
23 Questions Answered
Q. what is the suitable law case for apparent authority of partnership?
A: Apparent authority is a difficult area as far as legal proof is concerned. One usually has to show that the wrongful actions of the individual who claimed the authority of a partner were accomplished with either the actual knowledge of the real partners or that the real partners were so careless that circumstances allowed for the individual acting as a claimed partner to convince you that he or she had the authority of a partner. You should consult l an attorney on a matter such as this as soon as possible.
Q. I hold the mortgage on a house, and the owners now want to pay it off. Do I need a lawyer?
A: You may not need a lawyer but the persons who owe the money and are paying it off may need one more and require a lot of legal protection. You have to give them a written "mortgage satisfaction" which is a notarized legal document that states that the mortgage and mortgage indebtedness has been paid off in full and further that you never sold or assigned the rights to the mortgage to any other person or entity. This is a legal document which must be filed in the Office of the County Clerk (Land Records) where the real property is located and where the original mortgage was filed. You are also supposed to return the original mortgage and mortgage note to the mortgagors--the persons who owed you the money and they are supposed to hold on to those documents until they have sold the house and closed. If this is not done now, the persons who are paying you off for tis private mortgage will be looking for you 10 years from now when they are trying to sell the house and need to clear the mortgage from the County Clerk's records and that is no fun. ... Read More
Q. how can i fight an arbitrators final desision
A: This is a very difficult question--in New York State and in most other jurisdictions it is almost impossible to set aside an arbitrator's decision through a subsequent court challenge unless there was fraud or some other grave shortcoming in the process. There is a very short time clock as to when one can sue--speak to a knowledgeable attorney immediately.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
144 East Central Avenue
Pearl River, NY 10965
Telephone: (845) 735-5050
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.