Free Consultation: (360) 657-3886Tap to Call This Lawyer
Profile Image Placeholder

Jahnis John Abelite

  • DUI & DWI, Traffic Tickets, Criminal Law ...
  • Washington
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileOffers Video ChatQ&A
Practice Areas
  • DUI & DWI
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Criminal Law
  • Business Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Family Law
Video Chat and Conferencing
  • Skype
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    I accept MasterCard, VISA, Discover and American Express as well as Debit cards with either a MasterCard or VISA logo on them.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Washington State Bar Association
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Latvian: Spoken, Written
Seattle University School of Law
J.D. (1975)
Seattle University School of Law Logo
Professional Associations
Washington State Bar  # 11644
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
6 Questions Answered

Q. What will my consequences be when my court date comes around?
A: It depends. If the officer did not have you do any field sobriety tests and he did not get a warrant for a blood draw, then there shouldn't be any basis for a DUI charge to be filed against you. It appears that he could issue a traffic infraction for expired tabs which is not a criminal traffic violation but a non-moving traffic violation. However, as you are under 21, you could be charged with possession of marijuana which is a criminal offense that is a misdemeanor with a penalty of up to 90 days in jail and/or a $1,000.00 fine. Get a lawyer immediately and schedule a consultation. Good Luck!
Q. Cop told me he wasn't going to give me a ticket. He didn't hand me any papers. 2 weeks later I got a ticket in the mail.
A: It depends. First, a speeding violation is issued in a document called an infraction, commonly called a ticket, that only can require a driver to pay a fine and there is no possibility of jail time or other personal penalties. Citations are normally criminal citations, also called criminal traffic citations, and are issued for criminal traffic violations such as for DUI, Reckless Driving, etc. The officer is not required to issue or give the driver anything in writing at the time of the traffic stop. Also, drivers are no longer required to sign any document when either an infraction or criminal citation is issued to them at the time of the traffic stop. As to what you should now do with the infraction, your best course of action is to consult with an experienced traffic lawyer to see what your best course of action will be in handling this infraction. Just paying the infraction or ticket may not be the best course of action for you as it could raise your auto insurance rates and possibly affect your driving record. Good luck!
Q. How can months after my license was suspended can the state impose new requirements for me to get my license reinstated?
A: When a driver is arrested for a DUI in Washington State, there are two different public agencies that have the authority to control what happens to the driver: the courts and the state drivers license agency, here DOL. The court has certain authority over the defendant and his or her criminal traffic case that includes imposing or suspending jail time and fines, requiring substance abuse evaluations, requiring attendance for treatment and at victims panels and ADIS classes. The authority of the DOL is separate and distinct from the court and there are different laws and regulations that give the DOL authority over the driver and how and when a driver's license is issued and what requirements or conditions must be complied with before a driver can drive after being convicted of an alcohol related driving offense, e.g., DUI, a "wet" reckless driving or Negligent Driving First Degree. Therefore, you will have to comply with whatever DOL says you must do and that is separate from what the court has already done. Good Luck!
View More Answers
Contact & Map
16710 Smokey Point Blvd, Suite 200
Arlington, WA 98223
Telephone: (360) 657-3886
Fax: (360) 657-3719
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.