J. Richard Kulerski Esq.

J. Richard Kulerski Esq.

  • Arbitration & Mediation, Divorce, Family Law
  • Illinois
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

J. Richard Kulerski is a partner in the Oak Brook (and downtown Chicago) divorce law firm of Kulerski and Cornelison.

Richard has over four decades of trial experience in the divorce courts of Cook and DuPage counties, IL. and is a Harvard trained mediator and settlement negotiator.

Richard and his partner, Kari Cornelison, are staunch advocates of the settlement approach to divorce and both are
active in divorce mediation, collaborative divorce law and in the rapidly growing cooperative divorce movement.

Practice Areas
  • Arbitration & Mediation
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Professional Experience
member - Board of Directors
Mediation Council of Illinois
Loyola University Chicago
Benedictine College
DePaul University
Professional Associations
Illinois State Bar
Collaborative Law Institute of Illinois
- Current
DuPage Bar Association
Sustaining Member
- Current
Articles & Publications
The Secret to a Friendly Divorce
Wasteland Press
Divorce Buddy System
Author House
Websites & Blogs
Kulerski & Cornelison's Website
Legal Answers
202 Questions Answered

Q. If a husband and a wife have never lived in the same state, wife is now pregnant, and wants to file for divorce, can she
A: If all she wants is a divorce, she can definitely get it done in either state. If he is the father and has not been in IL, and she wants child support, she will probably need to file in TN.
Q. Does the 2 year moratorium for parenting time apply to a modification to the original order?
A: Unless there is specific language to the contrary in your Joint Parenting Agreement, your ex must prove that a substantial change of circumstance has occurred if he wants to change the parenting time. He cannot just seek a change whenever he wishes. Incidentally, the two year period you refer to has to do with custody (residential parent) changes only, not changes that merely involve allocation of visitation/parenting time.
Q. What does my paper work mean does he have sole custody, what are my rights ? Can someone please help
A: Sorry, but it is impossible to answer your question without having the opportunity to review your paper work.
Q. If you buy property with insurance money after you filed for divorce, do you split the insurance money and the property?
A: Without knowing more specifics, the answer would be that the property and the insurance proceeds are subject to equitable division.
Q. I feel my child custody arrangements are unfair. What can I do?
A: Consult, in person, with an experienced divorce lawyer to see if you have a case. You have not furnished enough facts for a lawyer to give you a competent answer. You need a personal meeting so the lawyer can learn all of your facts.
Q. My husband and I have agreed to divorce. We have 2 teenage children. Can we use the same attorney?
A: It is unethical for an attorney to give legal advice to both sides.
Q. Husband is cheating. Would it hurt the case in divorce proceedings if wife moves out before the divorce?
A: The legal concept of abandonment in divorce is all myth. She would lose no legal rights whatsoever if she were to move out.
Q. My wife is divorcing me. Do I have to pay alimony if she is the one who wants the divorce?
A: Yes. The laws regarding alimony are the same no matter who wants (or doesn't want) the divorce.
Q. If I make less than my ex wife does do I still have to pay child support?
A: Without knowing more facts, the general answer to your question is YES. However, Illinois is soon to change to the incomes shares model of child support, which means that both parents will have to contribute to child support commensurate with their incomes.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Oak Brook Office
1200 Harger Rd
Suite 320
Oak Brook, IL 60523
Telephone: (630) 928-0600
Fax: (630) 928-0670
Chicago Office
47 W. Polk Street
Suite M11
Chicago, IL 60605
Telephone: (312) 235-0100
Fax: (630) 928-0670