Free Consultation: (631) 864-7589Tap to Call This Lawyer
Howard E. Knispel

Howard E. Knispel

  • Bankruptcy, Criminal Law, Divorce...
  • New York
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldSocial Media

Howard E. Knispel has been practicing law since 1989, having graduated from Eisenhower College of World Studies of the Rochester Institute of Technology with a degree in International Politics in 1981 and New York Law School in 1988 with a Doctor of Jurisprudence. Howard concentrates his practice to Divorce, Family Law, Bankruptcy, Criminal, Traffic and DWI, Real Estate and Wills. Howard has conducted numerous trials, both jury and non-jury. Howard has negotiated and settled hundreds of divorce, custody and support matters. Howard has helped many people get out from crippling debt to get a fresh start. He has assisted many people experiencing criminal matters help get the possible outcome, including dismissals. As a former traffic prosecutor and Administrative Law Judge, has helped many cut through the tangle that is the traffic court and helped reduce points and save licenses. He has represented both purchasers and sellers of residential properties throughout the New York Metropolitan area. If there is any legal issue you need assistance with, call Howard E. Knispel, who has the knowledge and experience to assist you.

Practice Areas
  • Bankruptcy
  • Criminal Law
  • Divorce
  • Elder Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Family Law
  • Real Estate Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
County Attorney/Special Prosecutor
Suffolk County Traffic asnd Parking Agency
Administrative Law Judge
New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission
New York Law School
J.D. (1988)
Placeholder image for education.
Eisenhower College of Rochester Institute of Technology
B.A. (1981) | International Politics
Honors: Senior Class President. Editor:
Placeholder image for education.
Person of the Year
Smithtown Democratic Committee
Professional Associations
Smithtown Sunrise Rotary
- Current
Activities: Hospitality
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Suffolk County Matrimonial Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Suffolk County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
New York State Bar # 2279156
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Bankruptcy and Debt Settlement, How to Prevent a Financial Meltdown, Huntington, NY
Housing Help, Inc.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
24 Questions Answered

Q. I live in NY, had 2 jobs, lost of one of the jobs, any need to inform child support so I'm not in arrears?
A: Your court order of support continues until you get a new court order. You need to get a petition to modify your child support from the Family Court. Informing child support enforcemenmt is not sufficient. Talk to a lawyer.
Q. My daughter is 19 and lives in a home her mother owns in New York state,her mother lives in Florida for 5 winter months
A: Does anyone live in the house with your daughter? Is she self supporting? Does she work? Who financially supports your daughter? You need to talk to a lawyer to see if your daughter is emancipated.
Q. As per the stipulation of settlement ex was supposed to relinquish married name
A: Absolutely nothing. She MAY resume the use of her maiden name but nothing can force her to do so.
Q. My 20 yr old daughter left my home 8 months ago. She is now taking me to court for support. Is she entitled?
A: She can sue for child support. You need to show she is self supporting or that she voluntarily chooses not to abide by your reasonable rules and that you offer her to stay with you.
Q. Hi, I filed Chapter 13 Bankruptcy to stop the sale of my home. I have an Appeal in the NY Appellate 1st Dept.
A: Filing bankruptcy stays all legal proceedings outside the bankruptcy. However, this may be short lived. If this is not your first bankruptcy, you may not be entitled to a stay. Also the creditor could file a motion to lift the stay. Filing a bankruptcy of any type, but especially a Chapter 13 is complicated. There are many procedures you must follow and if you do not your case will be dismissed. Your petition and schedules must be complete and accurate. You need to follow up with mandatory disclosure rules. You really need an attorney to guide you through this. Hire an attorney or all you are doing is getting a short delay and you will lose your home.
Q. can you claim a homestead exemption in a chapter 13 bankruptcy if you have no equity in your homestead?
A: While technically you have nothing to exempt, I always claim a homestead exemption of $1 even if there is no equity. If you need to reopen the bankruptcy to void a judgment lien you were previously unaware of, if there is not homestead exemption, you will be unable to do so. Speak to your bankruptcy attorney.
Q. I have two children in college: son (22), senior daughter (21) a junior
A: You certainly do not have to pay child support for the 22 year old, but you need to read your divorce regarding the 21 year old. It depends on whether you agreed to pay until they are 22 if in college. Is money going to the CSEU or do you pay your ex directly? You may need to go to court to terminate the support. see a lawyer.
Q. I just got a traffic ticket for "running a solid red signal"
A: It depends on where you got the ticket. Different jurisdictions have different methods of administering traffic tickets. Some will reduce the points, some will not. Talk to a lawyer who can let you know, based on the jurisdiction, what you can do.
Q. How long the bankruptcy would be ?
A: From filing to completion of a Chapter 7 bankruptcy is 4 months. Timing, though, is crucial if you are expecting a tax refund. A Chapter 13 bankruptcy is a 5 year payment plan so the bankruptcy stays open during that entire time. You should speak to a bankruptcy attorney to decide what is appropriate for you.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
354 Veterans Highway
Commack, NY 11725
Telephone: (631) 864-7589