Free Consultation: (510) 292-0193
Offers Video Conferencing
Tap to Call This Lawyer
Howard E. Kane

Howard E. Kane

UC Hastings Law School 30+ Years Exp. Probate/Real Estate Sales/Estate Planning
  • Probate, Estate Planning, Real Estate Law
  • California
Review This Lawyer
Client Reviews
Jessica B. November 15, 2022
Went above and beyond to assist me, very kind. Mr Kane went above and beyond to assist my family after the death of my father in law. He assisted us in figuring out the best course to take to settle his estate and was very kind during the process. 100% recommend him. Thank you again for your assistance Mr Kane.
Claimed Lawyer ProfileOffers Video ConferencingQ&ALII GoldSocial Media

I graduated in 1987 from UCLA with a B.A. in History. I then attended UC Hastings College of the Law in San Francisco from 1987 to 1990 and began practicing law in 1990. I have also been a licensed California real estate broker since 1996.

My practice areas include probate and trust administration, real estate sales, and estate planning. Estate plans are crafted through client worksheets, interviews, and state-of-the-art Nexis/Lexis attorney drafting tools and software. Typical estate planning packages include:

Revocable Living Trusts
Guardianship/Conservatorship nominations
Contingent Special Needs Trusts
Durable Power of Attorney for Finances
Health Care Directives
Final Arrangements

Call for a free consultation-- 510.292.0193

Practice Areas
    Probate Administration
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Real Estate Law
    Commercial Real Estate, Residential Real Estate
Video Conferencing
  • FaceTime
  • Google Hangouts
  • Google Meet
  • FreeConferenceCall
  • Microsoft Teams
  • WhatsApp
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Attorney / Founder
Law Office of Howard E. Kane
Real Estate Broker
H.E. Kane & Co.
- Current
Judicial Extern to Hon. David V. Kenyon
United States District Court, Los Angeles, CA
University of California - Los Angeles
B.A. | History
University of California - Los Angeles Logo
University of California Hastings College of the Law
J.D. | Law
University of California Hastings College of the Law Logo
UCLA Alumni Merit Scholar
UCLA Alumni Association
Professional Associations
California State Bar  # 151711
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Contra Costa County Bar Association
Member Family Law and Estate Planning Panels
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Alameda County Bar Association
Activities: Member Family Law and Estate Planning panels
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Real Estate Broker - Credential ID DRE No. 01206186
California Department of Real Estate
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
110 Questions Answered
Q. Have a court date tomorrow on probate with wondering if I could file a continuance and talk to a lawyer
A: Yes, you can certainly request a continuance at the time of the hearing or beforehand. Oftentimes you can call the court clerk beforehand and request a continuance. Worst-case scenario, you can request the continuance at the hearing. I also recommend checking the probate examiner's notes on the court website. If there are any procedural defects, the court will most like continue the hearing and allow you time to cure the procedural defects. Best of luck with this.
Q. If a trust lists a bank account, but the account is not titled as a trust account, can the bank give it to the trust?
A: The bank will not turn over the funds to the Trust absent a court order. Through a Heggstad petition, you can ask the court to fund the bank account into the trust. Since the trust lists this account, a Heggstad should be granted. Unfortunately, in Alameda County, it takes around 9 months to obtain a court date for a Heggstad petition. Other jurisdictions schedule these hearings sooner. Let me know if you need assistance with this.
Q. In California, can one owner of a house charge their co-owner rent? More information below.
A: This is a really good question that comes up regularly in co-ownership situations. The co-owners should sit down with an attorney or mediator and come up with a co-ownership agreement. Legally, both co-owners are entitled to possession, responsible for the bills and costs associated with ownership, and both co-owners are entitled to split the profits as well.
View More Answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Law Office of Howard E. Kane
3923 Gardenia Place
Oakland, CA 94605
Telephone: (510) 292-0193
Cell: (510) 853-1331
Notice: Text 510.853.1331 for the quickest response on the weekends.
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.