Hamp SkeltonSkelton & Woody PLLC
- Appeals & Appellate, Business Law, Construction Law ...
- Georgia, Texas
Hamp Skelton, a native of Atlanta, Georgia, graduated from Princeton University in 1978 and from the University of Texas School of Law in 1981. He has tried lawsuits in Texas for 40 years. Hamp joined Vinson & Elkins in Houston in 1981, practicing in its commercial litigation section. He moved to Austin in 1986, joining Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld. While there, he built a litigation section and served as partner in charge of litigation. His present law firm opened in September, 1991. He and his wife, Karen, have three sons.
Hamp's practice encompasses a wide spectrum of business litigation areas, with special expertise in insurance coverage and bad faith litigation, insurance regulatory litigation, lender liability, professional liability, banking and financial institution litigation, fiduciary litigation, business break up disputes, employment law disputes, consumer protection/deceptive trade, securities fraud, director and officer liability, and intellectual property disputes. He has broad experience at the trial and appellate levels, in both the state and federal courts, as well as before Texas administrative and regulatory agencies.
Hamp frequently serves as an expert witness on attorneys fees and other subjects (see Expert Services). He also serves as local counsel for national firms on major commercial and intellectual property cases in Austin and San Antonio. In 2010, Hamp was honored by the Texas Access to Justice Foundation with its Cy Pres Impact award for steering over $9 million in cy pres funds to organizations supporting disabled Texans.
Hamp has been recognized by his peers with the highest rating of AV under the Martindale-Hubbell peer rating review. He was named a Super Lawyer in business litigation by Texas Monthly magazine in 2009 through 2021.
- Appeals & Appellate
- Civil Appeals, Federal Appeals
- Business Law
- Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
- Construction Law
- Construction Contracts, Construction Defects, Construction Liens, Construction Litigation
- Insurance Defense
- Intellectual Property
- Securities Law
- Business Litigation
I am happy to consult with potential clients without charge. Email correspondence is best initially, to determine if there is a possibility of a good fit. For example, if someone emails me looking for a contingency fee lawyer to sue an employer, I will decline by email so as not to waste anyone's time. We do not do contingency fee work.
- Credit Cards Accepted
- Skelton & Woody PLLC
- The University of Texas School of Law
- Princeton University
- Honors: cum laude
- Cy Pres Impact
- Texas Access to Justice Foundation
- AV Rating
- Super Lawyer - Business Litigation
- Texas Monthly
- Awarded consecutively from 2009-2017
- “How to Try an Insurance Coverage Case”, Insurance Law Section of the State Bar of Texas, Houston
- State Bar of Texas
- Daubert: Guide to Challenging Your Opponent's Expert -- and Protecting Your Own, 27th Annual Advanced Civil Trial Course, Dallas, TX
- Texas Bar CLE
- Daubert and Robinson: How to Challenge Your Opponent's Expert and Protect Your Own, Austin, TX
- Texas Young Lawyers Association
- October 2004
- Presentation on challenges to expert witnesses under the Daubert/Robinson doctrine, "Ten Minute Mentor" Series
- Texas Young Lawyer's Association
There are no recently viewed profiles.
There are no saved profiles.
There are no profiles to compare.