Attorney and Lawyer Gary Kollin is an expert and specialist in criminal defense law, criminal appeals law and police misconduct law. Gary handles cases in ALL state and federal trial and appeals courts. Gary Kollin handles all levels of cases from petty theft to first degree murder and well as all federal charges including drug trafficking and continuing criminal enterprises. Gary Kollin is one of a few lawyers who specialize in police misconduct cases. He represents people who have been mistreated by being falsely arrested, illegally searched, and being victims of police beatings. These cases are also known as civil rights and 1983 cases. Gary Kollin argued in the United State Supreme Court in the case of Smith v. United States, 508 U.S. 223 (1993). The justices of the Supreme Court appointed him to represent John Angus Smith. There are only 80 cases a year for the entire nation argued in the Supreme Court. Gary Kollin sued the Sheriff for keeping people in jail after they were found not guilty. The Sheriff had to pay over a million dollars in a class action case, Jones v. Sheriff, 9 Fla. L. Weekly Fed. D109 (S.D. Fla. 1995). The federal judge ordered the Sheriff to stop holding people in jail when they were not guilty. The Sheriff must now let the innocent leave from out of the courtroom. He is Martindale-Hubbell AV rated, rated 10 by AVVO and selected as a Leading Florida Attorney in the area of Felonies and Misdemeanor Defense Law by the American Research Corporation. He is rated a Super Lawyer in the areas of criminal defense, criminal appellate and civil rights law by Super Lawyers magazine.
- Civil Rights
- Appeals & Appellate
- Criminal Law
- Personal Injury
- White Collar Crime
- Car Accidents
- Police Brutality
- Police Misconduct, Brutality and False Arrest
- Credit Cards Accepted
- Contingent Fees
Personal injury, police misconduct, and false arrest cases among others
- Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
Hourly and flat fee rates are available in criminal trial and appellate law
- 11th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- US District Court - Middle District of Florida
- US District Court - Northern District of Florida
- US District Court - Southern District of Florida
- English: Spoken, Written
- Chief Litigation & Appellate Lawyer
- Gary Kollin, P.A.
- - Current
- Field Counsel
- Florida Medicaid Fraud Control Unit
- From mid 1985 to mid 1987, I served as the South Florida Chief of the Medicaid Fraud Control Unit. As its Chief, I supervised Special Agents charged with the responsibility of investigating health care providers for Medicaid fraud and for abuse of patients. The health care providers included doctors, nursing homes, and pharmacists. The investigations often required undercover work, witness interviews, computer analyses, or a combination of these investigative techniques
- Assistant State Attorney
- State Attorney's Office of Broward County Florida
- From 1982 to 1985, I was an assistant state attorney in the Broward County State Attorney's Office. I served in the case filing (intake) and felony trial divisions and prosecuted a wide range of felonies
- Assistant Public Defender
- Public Defender's Office of Broward County Florida
- From 1979 to 1981, I served as an assistant public defender in Broward County and represented indigents (including juveniles) charged with all levels of crimes. I also handled cases before the court of appeal
- Computer Programmer / Systems Analyst
- Peter Bent Brigham Hospital Boston Massacusetts
- I developed and programmed an information management and database system written in Fortran IV Plus for a radiology department.
- University of Miami School of Law
- J.D | Law
- Harvard University
- B.A | Biology
- Rated a Super Lawyer in the areas of Appellate Law, Criminal Defense Law, and Civil Rights Law
- Super Lawyers Magazine
- Membership is limited to trial lawyers throughout the United States who have won a verdict or settlement of $1,000,000.00 or more)
- Million Dollars Advocates Forum
- AV RATING
- Martindale-Hubbell AV rating
- Rating 10 - Highest
- Florida State Bar # 282431
- - Current
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- - Current
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- - Current
- - Current
- The Florda Bar Criminal Law Certification Committee
- Grade Reviewer
- Activities: I was appointed a grade reviewer in the years 1999, 1994, 2008, and 2011 to determine if the examination grades of certain applicants for criminal law certification were properly calculated.
- The Florida Bar
- Fee Arbitration Committee
- Activities: As a member of the Fee Arbitration Committee I participated in the review of complaints regarding fees charged by members of The Florida Bar and arbitrated the claims.
- The Florida Bar
- Unlicensed Practice of Law Committee
- Activities: This Committee investigates the unlicensed practice of law by non-lawyers and makes recommendations regarding prosecution of these indivduals to the prosecution unit of The Florida Bar.
- To File or Not To File, That is the Question
- The Florida Court Reporter
- Post Acquittal Detention: Go Directly Back To Jail After Acquittal
- Florida Defender Magazine of the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
....MEET GARY KOLLIN CIVIL RIGHTS POLICE MISCONDUCT ATTORNEY
MEET GARY KOLLIN CIVIL RIGHTS POLICE MISCONDUCT ATTORNEY We talked to Mr. Kollin and he verified he does in fact take these type of cases. https://southfloridacorruption.com/Police-Misconduct-Lawyers/ Areas of Practice False Arrest Police Misconduct Civil...Attorney Gary Kollin discusses how probable cause affects false arrest and civil rights lawsuits
....Attorney Gary Kollin discusses time issues in Florida police misconduct lawsuits
....Attorney Gary Kollin discusses civil rights and constitutional rights lawsuits
....Attorney Gary Kollin discusses lawsuits for malicious prosecution
....Attorney Gary Kollin discusses whether you can sue for false arrest
....Kodak Black Banned From South Carolina After Sex Charge Arrest
Gary Kollin represents rapper Kodak BlackPolice brutality Florida 2015 06 09 10 11 09
Gary Kollin discusses his client who had been beaten in jail by a guard on Russian Today Television
- Q. I came across a text message on my partner’s phone to her coworker about murdering me. What should I do?
- A: It is not for me to tell you what to do. That is your personal decision It is not a legal question. It is one of choice
- Q. Our son went to court for a littering ticket he pled guilty the judge accessed 104 dollars in court costs 1 year
- A: And what is the question? Was it littering or loitering?
- Q. my boyfriend got arrested and took to jail from school when he was 15
- A: As long as you are writing about school, perhaps if you wrote in sentences beginning with a capital letter and ending with a punctuation mark, your inquiry could be understood, A single run-on sentence is unintelligible
- Q. My husband is facing a 25 years to life sentence on a robbery charge. I need legal help.
- A: yOU NEED TO CONTACT LAWYERS DIRECTLY AND INDIVIDUALLY IN THE JURISDICTION WHERE THE CASE IS PENDING
- Q. Should I get the police report for my son who was arrested- (Age 12)?
- A: Are you serious? Why wouldn't you get it?
- Q. I am new to this so I don’t know where to start.
- A: While the time may have expired, he needs an attorney to see if any avenue if relief exists
- Q. I was staying with a friend of my daughters, she and my daughter were in an argument and she kept my belongings
- A: Yes
- Q. why lawyer is need in all stages in criminal justice?
- A: Because thr accused cant handle it by themselves
- Q. Why can someone be charged with murder twice, if the victim was under 12 years old, and the Defendant was trusted?
- A: You should be seeking this information from your teacher or a librarian. You should not be asking a lawyer to do the work for you. I believe thatit is a violation of the honor code