Frank B. Ford

Frank B. Ford

Frank B. Ford Attorney and Counselor at Law
  • DUI & DWI, Traffic Tickets
  • Michigan
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldSocial Media

I have been a prosecutor for Dearborn Heights, Troy, and Southfield, so I have seen the Drunk Driving law from both sides. My office is in a quiet area of Dearborn Heights, but I travel to all the courts in Wayne County (such as Westland, Livonia, and Plymouth / Canton, in addition to Dearborn and Dearborn Heights), Oakland County, and Macomb County, and often beyond that. Drunk Driving defense, which in Michigan is technically "Operating While Intoxicated" (OWI), but is commonly called DUI or DWI, is the primary part of my law practice. I also handle Driver's License Restoration hearings at the Secretary of State Administrative Hearings Office in Livonia (often called DLAD), for drivers who have lost their driving privileges but have addressed any alcohol issues and are ready to get back on the road, and I handle Driving While License Suspended or Revoked (DWLS / R / D) charges for those who have not yet reinstated their license. I also handle Traffic Tickets such as Speeding.

Practice Areas
  • DUI & DWI
  • Traffic Tickets
Additional Practice Area
  • Driver's License Restoration
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    I have various fee arrangements, depending on the circumstances. Most matters are handled on a flat fee or package basis, and some are handled on an hourly basis. I offer payment plans in many cases. I will discuss specific fees with you over the phone when you call.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Sole Practitioner
Frank B. Ford Attorney and Counselor at Law
- Current
Assistant Prosecutor (Temporary Position)
City of Southfield
Assistant Prosecutor (Temporary Position)
City of Southfield
Assistant City Attorney and Prosecutor
City of Troy
Assistant City Attorney and Prosecutor
City of Dearborn Heights
Four person firm in Dearborn Heights
Wayne State University Law School
J.D. | Law
University of Connecticut
M.F.A. | Playwriting
Washington University in St. Louis
B.A. | Drama
Professional Associations
Michigan State Bar # 27688
National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL)
Suburban Bar Association of Western Wayne County
Member and Past President
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
19 Questions Answered

Q. I got pulled over last night and went to jail for driving on suspended, I have a valid Florida drivers license
A: Florida can't give you driving privileges in Michigan if Michigan says you can't drive in Michigan. You need to try to fix whatever is keeping you from having a valid Michigan license. Besides, you probably will not be able to renew the Florida license without clearing your Michigan driving record. States now check the National Driver Registry, which they didn't do so much in the past. Get a Michigan attorney in the area where you got arrested, who handles a lot of driver's license problems, to help you navigate this situation. The attorney may be able to get a very advantageous resolution of this, provided it is handled correctly. Sincerely, Frank B. Ford
Q. What is the likely outcome on a 3rd driving on suspended license?
A: He may be facing some jail time for this, and could get his parole (or is it probation?) revoked and have jail or prison time for the violation. He needs to get an experienced traffic/DUI attorney in that area immediately. If he has done any jail time on the previous Driving While Suspended cases, he very well may get more time for this new one than he got before on the previous ones.
Q. I've just received notice to contact a court for a ticket I paid years ago. What do I do?
A: Call the court tomorrow and ask them what this is about. I hope you have proof of payment from back at the time. Sometimes courts do make mistakes, and they can misfile things. Be very clear that you paid it. Sincerely, Frank B. Ford
Q. My son is doing a 8 month stint in st clair county Jail for a DUI conviction the Judge agreed to allow him work release
A: It depends on his driving record. If his license is revoked, which would be the case if he has had two convictions for drinking and driving in a seven year period, then his only options are: (1) to be in a sobriety court program, which it sounds like is out of the question, since he's been given eight months in jail, or (2) to have a hearing at the Secretary of State Administrative Hearings Section, which has very strict standards for granting a restricted work license, which I'm guessing he would not be able to meet, since this is apparently a fairly new incident that led to his incarceration. To be sure, an attorney who handles driver's license restorations would have to review his driving record. I, as many attorneys do, will review at no charge a driving record that is faxed to me. Sincerely, Frank B. Ford
Q. I've been on drug court for 18 months had one slip-up was wondering can I get off early?
A: Although it is possible that you might be released early, it is highly unlikely. Given the fact that you had a violation, they will probably want to keep you on the program to make sure you continue to progress. Sincerely, Frank B. Ford
Q. I got a ticket for disobeying a traffic light. Do I pay the day of court date or later?
A: You will be expected to pay any fine on the day of court. You MIGHT be given a little time to pay, but don't count on it. Sincerely, Frank B. Ford
Q. My husband is on a prob. period for driving. Does a traffic infringement hinder him losing his license if don't go 2 sos
A: To fully answer this question, his complete Certified driving record would have to be reviewed, but an Impeding Traffic charge, if paid within the period stated on the ticket, will not go onto the driving record and should not have any impact beyond having to pay the fine. Does the ticket say that the charge is Impeding Traffic? Check to make sure. Sincerely, Frank B. Ford
Q. When will I get a court date for my DWI?
A: You need to get a complete certified copy of your driving record, directly from the Secretary of State ($12), and let an attorney who handles drunk driving cases on a regular basis review it. It is likely that the Temporary Driving Permit that you were issued has been entered onto your driving record, but maybe not, since apparently SOS gave you a new picture license. But they may have given it to you by mistake. You can call the district court to see if they have any pending charges against you. Get an attorney's help. Don't wait, since key evidence, such as videos, may disappear quickly. Sincerely, Frank B. Ford
Q. I've heard the expression dry reckless - what does that mean?
A: I wonder if what you have heard of is actually "wet reckless", which is not used in Michigan, but I believe it is used in Ohio and some other states. It is a reduced charge from a drunk driving charge. In Michigan, we simply have "Reckless Driving", which is willful or wanton disregard for life or property. If there is drinking involved, the charge will almost always be some type of drinking and driving charge, and not Reckless Driving. Sincerely, Frank B. Ford
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
5944 Dacosta Street
Dearborn Heights, MI 48127
Telephone: (313) 565-9289