Free Consultation: (703) 684-2000Tap to Call This Lawyer
F. Paul Maloof

F. Paul Maloof

Working hard for you and achieving success for our clients at competitive fees.
  • Landlord Tenant, Business Law, Real Estate Law...
  • District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I have practiced law for more than 38 years in Virginia, Maryland and Washington, DC. As a partner in a well established Alexandria City law firm, I provide my clients with full legal services at a high quality level and at reasonable hourly rates in Northern Virginia, including Fairfax County. I work with individuals and small businesses. I advise clients who are consumers and professionals on a range of issues, specifically; fair business practices, business contract disputes, landlord and tenant law, residential real estate matters, loan documentation, commercial lease, business acquisition, estate planning and serving as general civil litigation counsel. I have an AV rating with Martindale-Hubbell that is the highest rating for lawyers. I do not take cases on a contingency fee basis. I served in the U.S. Marine Corps and am happy to provide professional legal advice to all current and retired military personnel in the metropolitan Washington, DC region. I am currently accepting new clients so give me a call to discuss the matter that has you concerned and how I can be of service. Please see the fields of law in which I practice. If my practice areas do not fit your needs, one of my 12 partners will most likely be able to advise you. Call me today to discuss the problem that you face and to set up an office appointment so I can help you construct a resolution in your favor. You need to take the first step. Call me today at 703-684-2000.

Practice Areas
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Business Law
  • Real Estate Law
  • Estate Planning
Additional Practice Areas
  • General Civil Litigation
  • Mergers & Acquisitions/Secured Transactions
  • Foreign Judgments/Domestication & Enforcement
  • Commercial, Consumer & Medical Collections
  • Free Consultation
    I offer a complementary 10 minute consultation by telephone. There are some cases that I will accept for a fixed fee. Call me today about your situation so we can discuss the issue and how it may be resolved.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    MasterCard, Visa and American Express
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Hourly rate depends on the complexity of the case
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Redmon, Peyton & Braswell, LLP
- Current
Georgetown University Law Center
J.D. / Law
Georgetown University
B.B.A. / Accounting & Economics
Honors: Who's Who Among Students in American Universities & Colleges
Who’s Who in the World
Who’s Who in the World
Who's Who in American Law
Who's Who in American Law
Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges
Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges
Professional Associations
Alexandria City Bar Association
- Current
Maryland State Bar
- Current
Virginia State Bar
- Current
District of Columbia Bar
- Current
Legal Answers
77 Questions Answered

Q. Can I be held responsible if a visiting friend crashes their car into my apartment building?
A: You are not liable for someone else's actions.
Q. My Landlord requires 120 of notice to end the year long lease. Is this legal? Is there a limit to required notice?
A: The Virginia Code addresses this issue, which is the following: § 55-222. Notice to terminate a tenancy in nonresidential premises; notice of change in use of building. A. A tenancy in a nonresidential premises from year to year may be terminated by either party giving three months' notice, in writing, prior to the end of any year of the tenancy, of his intention to terminate the same. A tenancy from month to month may be terminated by either party giving 30 days' notice in writing, prior to the next rent due date, of his intention to terminate the same, unless the rental agreement provides for a different notice period. Written notice of termination shall be given in accordance with this chapter or the lease agreement. B. In addition to the termination rights set forth in subsection A, and notwithstanding the terms of the lease, the landlord may terminate the lease due to rehabilitation or a change in the use of all or any part of a building containing at least four residential units, upon 120 days' prior written notice to the tenant. Changes in use shall include but not be limited to conversion to hotel, motel, apartment hotel or other commercial use, planned unit development, substantial rehabilitation, demolition or sale to a contract purchaser requiring an empty building. This 120-day notice requirement shall not be waived except in the case of a tenancy from month to month, which may be terminated by the landlord by giving the tenant 30 days' written notice prior to the next rent due date of the landlord's intention to terminate the tenancy. The written notice required by this section to terminate a tenancy shall not be contained in the rental agreement or lease, but shall be a separate writing. You will notice that the law provides "unless the rental agreement provides for a different notice period." If your lease states 120 days notice and you sign the Lease, you are bound by that provision.
Q. What is the statue of limitations on a debt because of back rent?
A: In Virginia, if there was a written contract or written lease, the Statute of Limitations (SOL) is 5 years. If there was no written lease or agreement but simply an oral agreement, the SOL is 3 years.
Q. What repairs of existing problems is a landlord is required to make under VA law.
A: The Landlord's obligation for maintenance of the premises are contained in Virginia Code, which is as follows: § 55-225.3. Landlord to maintain dwelling unit. A. The landlord shall: 1. Comply with the requirements of applicable building and housing codes materially affecting health and safety; 2. Make all repairs and do whatever is necessary to put and keep the premises in a fit and habitable condition; 3. Keep all common areas shared by two or more multifamily dwelling units of the premises in a clean and structurally safe condition; 4. Maintain in good and safe working order and condition all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning and other facilities and appliances, including elevators, supplied or required to be supplied by him; 5. Maintain the premises in such a condition as to prevent the accumulation of moisture and the growth of mold and to promptly respond to any notices as provided in subdivision A 9 of § 55-225.4. Where there is visible evidence of mold, the landlord shall promptly remediate the mold conditions in accordance with the requirements of subsection E of § 8.01-226.12 and reinspect the dwelling unit to confirm that there is no longer visible evidence of mold in the dwelling unit. The landlord shall provide a tenant with a copy of a summary of information related to mold remediation occurring during that tenancy and, upon request of the tenant, make available the full package of such information and reports not protected by attorney-client privilege. Once the mold has been remediated in accordance with professional standards, the landlord shall not be required to make disclosures of a past incidence of mold to subsequent tenants; 6. Supply running water and reasonable amounts of hot water at all times and reasonable air conditioning if provided and heat in season except where the dwelling unit is so constructed that heat, air conditioning, or hot water is generated by an installation within the exclusive control of the tenant or supplied by a direct public utility connection; and 7. Provide and maintain appropriate receptacles and conveniences for the collection, storage, and removal of ashes, garbage, rubbish, and other waste incidental to the occupancy of one or more dwelling units and arrange for the removal of same. B. The landlord shall perform the duties imposed by subsection A in accordance with law; however, the landlord shall be liable only for the tenant's actual damages proximately caused by the landlord's failure to exercise ordinary care. C. If the duty imposed by subdivision A 1 is greater than any duty imposed by any other subdivision of that subsection, the landlord's duty shall be determined by reference to subdivision A 1. D. The landlord and tenant may agree in writing that the tenant perform the landlord's duties specified in subdivisions A 2, 4, 6, and 7 and also specified repairs, maintenance tasks, alterations, and remodeling, but only if (i) the transaction is entered into in good faith and not for the purpose of evading the obligations of the landlord and (ii) the agreement does not diminish or affect the obligation of the landlord to other tenants in a multifamily premises.
Q. In VA can a landlord force you to sign up for auto or credit card pymt, if you are behind in rent or to just rent?
A: The answer both questions.
Q. found out after 10 yrs our bylaws were never recorded in VA, amendments were never approved by owners. What to do?
A: You should hire a real estate lawyer to review the Bylaws and have them recorded in the land records of the county in which the property is located. After correcting the problem, you should proceed in Court against the lawyer and law firm who failed to have the Bylaws recorded and claim as damages the additional cost that are paid to correct the problem.
Q. My license was suspended on my wife case but my name is not on the police or court documents. How can I did that
A: I regret that I do not handle auto accident cases or insurance claims cases.
Q. An individual (and her lawyer) travelled from NY to VA to "serve papers" in my mailbox. Have I legally been served?
A: Under the Code of Virginia, that is not good service. You should call the court and ask the clerk if they filed an Affidavit of Service and what does it say.
Q. Does this law only pertain to a landlord that owns five or more units within one dwelling, or all landlord.
A: You should call the Office of Code Enforcement for the jurisdiction where the property ids located for the answer to your question about locks.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Redmon, Peyton & Braswell, LLP
510 King Street
Suite 301
Alexandria, VA 22314
Telephone: (703) 684-2000