Elfreda Dockery

Law Office of Elfreda Dockery
  • Criminal Law, Divorce, Domestic Violence...
  • Illinois
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A
Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • Divorce
  • Domestic Violence
  • Traffic Tickets
Additional Practice Areas
  • Landlord/Tenant
  • Small Claims
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
Law Office of Elfreda Dockery
- Current
Professional Associations
Illinois State Bar
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Black Women's Law Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
9 Questions Answered

Q. Do all parties listed on a summons need to be served in order for forcible entry and detainer?
A: judgments are only enforceable against defendants who have been served with the Summons and Complaint. if all parties are not served, then only those served can have an enforceable judgment entered against them.
Q. Can a landlord add additional terms/rules to a lease after it has been signed?
A: a signed contract, and that is what a lease is, is an agreement between two parties. if one party to the lease makes unilateral changes that have not been agreed by the other party, then those changes are not a part of the agreement the parties have. they other party's agreement is manifested by their signature to the new contract or initials to any written additions.
Q. A year ago I rented my house to family and it's just not working out. With no rental agreement how do I get them out?
A: if there is no written lease, then your tenant has a month to month tenancy. you can give them a 30 days notice. if they have not moved by the end of the 30 days, then you can file an eviction action.
Q. We had a judgement against us for back rent.The interest being charged seems excessive.Any recourse?
A: illinois allows for interest on judgments to accrue at 9% per annum. is is greater than 9%? if so, then it is excessive. if not, then it is not excessive.
Q. Im a subcontractor and have not been paid for work thats been done for 3 weeks what can i do to get paid?
A: you can try talking to the general contractor about your pay or you can possibly file a mechanics lien.
Q. Can I file a claim in small claims court to get a person to give me a title to a boat
A: that depends. if you are seeking damages in the amount of $10,000.00 or less, then yes. if the value is greater than $10,000.00, then the matter is not a small claim.
Q. If a bank account is only in my spouse's name, does it have to go through probate before I can access it?
A: it depends. if your husband had other assets valued over $100,000 or real estate, then it will have to be probated. If he did not own real estate and the value is less than $100,000, then you can do a small estate affidavit.
Q. Can we change my daughters last name to her my boyfriends last name if she has my (the mothers) last name.
A: does your boyfriend plan to adopt your daughter? or are you talking about just changing the name? either way, you will have to file a petition in court. the court will decide whether to allow the adoption for if an adoption petition or decide to allow the name change for the name change petition. either way, the father will have to be notified.
Q. My ex filed an order of protection against me. Is there any action taken if I don't appear at the hearing?
A: court goes on and orders are entered even if you fail to appear. you need to go to court, preferably with a lawyer. if you fail to appear, your ex my get whatever relief he wants.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
17070 South Park Avenue
Ste. K
South Holland, IL 60473
Telephone: (312) 372-5600