Free Consultation: (773) 679-8613
Offers Video Chat
Tap to Call This Lawyer
Drew Elesh

Drew Elesh

Immigration Law Office
  • Immigration Law
  • Illinois
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileOffers Video ChatQ&ALII GoldSocial Media

Concentrating on Immigration law since 1996.

Deportation defense and green cards and work permits including work visas and waivers for green cards. U visas and asylum and more. Student visas and
U.S. embassy processing for overseas clients.

Dreamers and DACA and U.S. citizenship.
AILA & Federal Bar Association and Chicago Bar Association trained.
Attend Japan America Society functions
Attended U.S. Embassy in London for attorney tour
Participate in monthly sessions with London and Asia Chapters
of American Immigration Lawyers Association meetings/ phone
conferences/ continuing legal education

Educated at the University of Michigan, Northwestern University, and University of Miami School of Law

Office Manager Alberta Cruz is fluent in Espanol
Japanese interpreting available

Practice Area
  • Immigration Law
Video Chat and Conferencing
  • FaceTime
  • Skype
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Japanese: Spoken, Written
  • Russian
  • Spanish
Professional Experience
Founder / Attorney
Drew Elesh & Associates
- Current
University of Miami School of Law
J.D. | Law
University of Miami School of Law Logo
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
B.A. | Political Science
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor Logo
Northwestern University
Northwestern University Logo
Professional Associations
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
free seminar in U.S. citizenship including English class and information about role of U.S. citizens in our democracy
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
5 Questions Answered

Q. U.S. Citizen receiving food stamp and medicaid. How does that affect AOS for her husband?
A: Under the new public charge form you will have to disclose those public benefits . It is one of many factors .
Q. I came to the United States 30 years ago on a work visa but I didn’t complete the program
A: You can return to Jamaica at any time. You will be subject to a 10 year bar if you overstated your visa for more than 12 months. That is an automatic bar which is imposed when you depart the United States. So you could reapply for either an immigrant visa or non immigrant visa at any time after the ten years. Otherwise you re would need a waiver of the ten year bar which would require extreme hardship on a USC spouse or parent or proving that hardship on a Lawful permanent resident spouse or parent . That would require an experienced and competent attorney to demonstrate the extreme hardship to USCIS. You can call for a consultation if you don’t understand or have more questions Drew Elesh
Q. Are there exceptions to the rule that children of parents with a H1 visa would age out at age 21, if child is disabled?
A: The child can change from H-4 to another visa category. There are other nonimmigrant visas such as F-1. The child could also pursue lawful permanent residency independent of the parents' H1-B. Essentially the child will not keep the H-4 status upon his/her twenty first birthday as an age out so the options include another visa category. It is best to consult an experienced and competent immigration attorney about the specific appropriate visa options. There may be several appropriate alternatives to the H-4. The disability may offer an opportunity for a parole as well. That would depend on the nature and severity of the disability and related treatment. You can call to schedule a consultation.
Q. I would like to know the process of obtaining green card for my mom who has been living in the U.S for most of her life
A: Your mother may have entered the USA without inspection (ewi). If she did she will need a waiver. To get the waiver approved she would need a qualifying relative such as USC spouse or LPR spouse or Lawful permanent resident (LPR)/ U.S. citizen parent. So you would not be the qualifying relative for purposes of the waiver. So if she entered ewi it is insufficient to have a U.S. citizen son or daughter apply with form I-130. In addition she would need a qualifying relative as explained in the above paragraph. You can make an appointment so we can explain more details of the waiver process and the legal standard we must prove to USCIS to get the waiver granted. That is known as extreme hardship to the qualifying relative such as a parent or spouse. Otherwise she would need a child in the U.S. military (military parole) or a U visa (victim of a qualifying crime). If she was a victim of a serious crime we would need the police report to start the process with law enforcement. Thank you.
Q. Laid off on H1B, found multiple offers in 60 day grace period.
A: Company C can independently file for you for H1-B within the 60 days. That is not related to Company B. It is certainly possible C is approved prior to B or that B is not approved .So you can have multiple petitions simultaneously .
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Immigration Law Office
5240 W Irving Park Rd
Chicago, IL 60641
Telephone: (773) 679-8613
Cell: (773) 206-3321
Fax: (773) 283-6912