I SUE debt collectors. I represent people in individual and class actions because they received : (1) robo calls from debt collectors, creditors and telemarketers who violate the Telephone Consumer Protection Act ("TCPA"); and (2) debt collectors who violate the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act ("FDCPA") when they attempt to collect a consumer debt.
Clients often hire me to represent them against debt collectors for many different violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and other laws which govern debt collectors' conduct. My clients' problems have included :(1) collection letters which violate the FDCPA; (2) demanding more than the amount owed; (3) false threats of arrest; (4) false threats to sue; (5) calls from the debt collector to employers, friends, neighbors, and relatives; (6) misrepresentations concerning the debt; (7) collection lawsuits filed after the statute of limitations had expired; (8) telephone messages and cell phone calls which were improper; and (9) collection letters which are needlessly confusing to consumers.
Many of my clients hired me to represent them against debt collectors and other creditors who failed to update their credit report, continued to call or write them and even sued them attempting to collect discharged debts.
My clients' credit reporting problems include other people's accounts appearing on my clients' reports (e.g., "mismerged" accounts), identity theft, and credit reports which are inaccurate after the client discharged their debts in bankruptcy. I also represent people whose credit reports have been accessed without a purpose permitted by the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
I do not represent any businesses against consumers.
Finally, I represent relators in qui tam actions brought under the False Claims Act (often referred to as "whistleblower" cases) and represented the qui tam relators,
- Consumer Law
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act ("TCPA")
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act ("FDCPA")
- Class Actions
- Bankruptcy Discharge Violations (Calls, Bills, Credit Reports, Etc.)
- Consumer Debt Collection Defense
- Fair Credit Reporting Act ("FCRA")
- Free Consultation
Consumer finance is a broad area and I may or may not be able to help you. But I will not charge you for a brief conversation about your potential case and I will tell you whether I believe your case would be suitable for me to represent you on a contingency fee basis.
- Contingent Fees
I represent most of my clients on a contingency fee basis.
- Middle District Of Florida
- 6th Circuit
- 11th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Claims
- Duke University School of Law
- J.D. | Law
- Honors: J.D. with Honors; Project Editor, Law & Contemporary Problems
- Rollins College
- M.B.A. (1984) | Finance
- Honors: With Honors; Received Corporate Council Award
- University of Central Florida
- B.S. (1980) | Business Management
- Honors: Summa Cum Laude; Beta Gamma Sigma
- Certificate of Appreciation
- Legal Advocacy Center of Central Florida
- Certificate of appreciation awarded for training LACCF staff attorneys in debt defense cases and actively assisting them in serving their legal services clients.
- Corporate Council Award
- Crummer School of Business (Rollins College)
- G. Tom Wiley Scholarship
- Martin Marietta Management Club
- National Association of Consumer Advocates
- - Current
- Contributor : "La Coe's Pleadings Under the Florida Rules of Civil Procedure"
- Thomson Reuters
- Contributor : "Consumer Law Pleadings"
- National Consumer Law Center
- "Why Employees Bring Whistleblower Cases"
- Corporate Compliance Officer
- "Southern District of Florida Follows Altai" in Computer Law Newsletter
- Florida Bar Computer Law Committee
- Project Editor "Vice" Vol. 51, No. 1 (Winter 1988)
- Law & Contemporary Problems
- "Employee Rights In The Workplace", Central Florida Live with George Crossley, Orlando, FL
- WTGL (Channel 45)
- Charter Hospital Settles Whistleblower Lawsuit For $ 4.758 Million, Investigative Reports With Tony Pippitone, Orlando, FL
- WKMG (Channel 6)
- Using The Qui Tam Provisions of the False Claims Act to Punish, Deter and Prevent Health Care Fraud, Winter Seminar, Daytona Beach, FL
- Florida Employment Lawyers Association
- Using The Qui Tam Provisions of the False Claims Act to Punish, Deter and Prevent Health Care Fraud, HealthCon 2000, Toronto, Canada
- National Association of Health Care Consultants
- Qui Tam False Claims Actions Against Health Care Providers, "Compliance : The Real Picture", Orlando, FL
- Medical Coding Seminar
- Identity Theft, "Real Talk With Kietta", Orlando, FL
- UPN Syndicated Talk Show
- Regular Guest, "Ask An Attorney", Locally syndicated weekly radio program (Central Florida)
- Testifying Expert concerning consumer's attorney's fees, Capital One v. J.S., Deland, FL
- County Court in and for Volusia County, FL
- Payday Loan Collection Harassment, 6 O'Clock News, Orlando, FL
- WFTV (Channel 9)
- Testifying Expert concerning consumer's attorney's fees, HFC Collection Center v. S.A., Orlando, FL
- County Court, Orange County Florida
- Recent Influential Consumer Law Cases : Fair Debt Collection Act and Fair Credit Reporting Act Cases, The Florida Bar 2014 Annual Convention, Orlando, FL
- The Florida Bar Committee on Consumer Protection
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act ("TCPA")