Don F. Harris

Don F. Harris

International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
  • Bankruptcy, Family Law, Probate...
  • Colorado, Connecticut, New Mexico
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldSocial Media

After 25 years, my reputation is about caring for my clients and providing realistic expectations. Only lawyer in the State of New Mexico who is a certified specialist in both consumer and business bankruptcy law by the American Board of Certification. Former Board Member, Family Law Section of New Mexico State Bar. Selected by New Mexico State Bar to sit on several judicial selection panels.

Practice Areas
  • Bankruptcy
  • Family Law
  • Probate
  • Divorce
  • Business Law
  • Consumer Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • Personal Injury
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Free consultations for bankruptcy cases and personal injury cases
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
New Mexico
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
New Mexico Collaborative Practice Group
Member, Former President
Bankruptcy Section, New Mexico State Bar
Family Law Section, New Mexico State Bar
Albuquerque Bar Association
National Associtation of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
- Current
American Bankruptcy Institute
- Current
Placeholder image for education.
University of Connecticut
J.D. (1990) | Law
Honors: Cum Laude
Activities: Connecticut Journal of International Law
University of Connecticut Logo
University of Hartford
B.A. (1987) | Music
Honors: Lead Tenor Saxophone, Concert Jazz Band, All Four Years
Activities: Operations Director, Campus Radio Station, WWUH
Placeholder image for education.
Client Platinum Champion
This is the highest award for Client Satisfaction from Martindale-Hubbell based on reviews from satisfied clients.
AV Rated, Preeminent Rated Attorne
Martindale Hubbel
Martindale-Hubbell rates only ten percent of attorneys as preeminent under their confidential peer review process.
Selected as Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers Organization
Super Lawyers
One of a small percentage of lawyers Selected by Southwest Super Lawyers. This is an independent, confidential, and patented process bases on nominations and reviews by other lawyers.
Board Certified, Consumer Bankruptcy Law and Business Bankruptcy Law
American Board of Certification
Professional Associations
New Mexico State Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Intersection with Bankruptcy
New Mexico Family Law Manuel
Prepared Statements of Donald F. Harris
US Congress, House Judiciary Committee
Speaking Engagements
Bankruptcy and Commercial Leases, Commercial Real Estate 101, Albuquerque, NM
National Business Institute
Credit and Bankruptcy Issues, Real Estate Law: Advanced Issues and Answers, Albuquerque, NM
National Business Institute
Chapter 7 and Chapter 13, Consumer Bankruptcy 101, Albuquerque, NM
Law Review CLE
Certified to Practice Collaborative Divorce Law
International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
Websites & Blogs
New Mexico Financial Law
Legal Answers
9 Questions Answered

Q. I am married contemplating divorce. What are my rights as far as receiving any pension, social security benefits, etc.
A: Pension rights that accrue during marriage are normally community property in New Mexico. Social Security is not. In any marriage over ten years, the ex-spouse can claim long term spouse benefits, from the Social Security Administration, without affecting the other ex-spouse. Go the the government website for more information.
Q. my daughter is nearly 15 and wants to change her last name to her step-fathers. can her father object?
A: The parents of a minor child have to be notified of a name change in New Mexico, and her dad can object. He may not bother, or the judge very well may overrule his objection if the child's reasoning is sound.
Q. How will the following look to a judge.
A: First, if he is in he military, he is likely required to support his spouse by the military so long as he is married. I have had my military male clients get reported by the separated wife to his chain of command for not supporting her, and it has caused my clients problems. Second, I tell all my clients, especially men, to always wear the "white hat" when working through a divorce. What your son is doing sounds like "white hat" behavior to me. Finally, in all states, custody is determined by what is in the best interest of the children. The temporary arrangement should not matter particularly. In custody cases, the judge is usually only interested in what arrangement will suit the children the best going forward. Everything above can be overridden by a competent Hawaii divorce attorney. Divorce laws are very local and vary significantly from state-to-state. Your son needs to see a local divorce attorney before making any further decisions.
Q. The document is dated for 10/22/2018. They located me through email 2 weeks ago but served me tonight.
A: I agree with the other answers, but is your question whether the delay in getting you served make it too late to count as a valid lawsuit? Usually not, but it is a local issue, so consult a local lawyer. More to the point, if you get it dismissed for failure to serve timely, it does you know good. The divorce would just be re-filed.
Q. Can I evict my husband when my name is on all assets? He will not hold a job and does not help pay for our assets.
A: You should consult a local divorce lawyer, and at least pay for a consultation.
Q. is there help to get a divorce from a man in jail without having the cash to pay for it?
A: Most courts have counters or offices to help people file for divorce without a lawyer.
Q. Is my annuity I received as a Florida resident still protected from BK, now that I’m a MT resident but having to use FL.
A: Exemptions after moving can be tricky. For instance, if Florida's exemptions only apply to "residents" then you cannot use them in Montana, and you can't use Montana's either, unless you wait another few months. You could be having to use the federal exemptions. This could be a very important question to answer correctly, and you need to hire a competent bankruptcy attorney.
Q. Hi im filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy
A: A bankruptcy is a very negative credit event (I've heard typically at least a 100 point drop). However, if you have a lot of defaulted credit cards, a bankruptcy may increase a very low score (because you have no debt after discharge). Regardless, you credit will recover within two years of your bankruptcy discharge to the high 600's or even low 700's if you do everything right (a different conversation). FHA guidelines state that you can buy a house two years after your Chapter 7 discharge (Google it). Get rid of that debt, and start rebuilding. Further, some credit repair companies are ripoffs. If you challenge a valid, defaulted credit card, the company could respond by suing you to protect its interest. Do the bankruptcy. After everything has settled, then go to a reputable credit repair place to see if anything else would be helpful.
Q. Attempt to be served after setting up payment arrangement with creditor’s lawyers.
A: Mr Grefseng is correct. I would add that it rarely benefits anyone to avoid service. If you received a card, call the person who left it and arrange to meet them to receive whatever it is . Then you know what you are dealing with and can ask better questions.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
New Mexico Financial and Family Law
320 Gold Ave, SW
Suite 1410
Albuquerque, NM 87110
Telephone: (505) 503-1637