Dawn Renee Gould

Dawn Renee Gould

  • Divorce, Family Law
  • Maryland
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Ms. Gould was a prosecutor for the Frederick County State’s Attorney’s Office for over 10 years prosecuting child support cases from the establishment phase to the enforcement phase. She was also the Legal Liaison for the State’s Attorney’s Office Child Support Division with the Non-Custodial Parent Employment Program and the Frederick County Workforce Services, both of which assisted individuals in breaking barriers to obtaining employment.

Ms. Gould also has a background in drafting legislation as she was a policy analyst for the State Legislature, Maryland General Assembly, Department of Legislative Services.

Ms. Gould is a Member of the Maryland State Bar Association, the Frederick County Bar Association, the Frederick County Chamber of Commerce, the Women's Business Network in Frederick County, and the Frederick Professionals Networking Group. She is also a Board Member of the Delaplaine Arts Center located in Frederick County and volunteers there on her free time. She also volunteers with various outreach programs that serve the homeless and those in poverty.

Ms. Gould received her law degree from Hamline University, School of Law, in St. Paul, MN, and received her undergraduate degree from the University of Maryland, College Park, MD.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
GouldLaw, LLC
- Current
Frederick County State's Attorney's Office - Child Support Division
Hamline University School of Law
J.D. (1999)
Hamline University School of Law Logo
Professional Associations
Frederick County Chamber of Commerce
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Delaplaine Arts Center
Board Member
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Bar Association of Frederick County, MD
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Maryland State Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
31 Questions Answered

Q. Pregnant stay at home mom.
A: The Court must consider several factors in custody and the upmost factor is the best interest of the children. The court will consider things like money to be able to care for the children, but that's what child support is for. The court will also consider the fitness of the parent, character and reputation of each parent, the children's age, health, family relations, etc. So it's not just one factor, it's what's best for the child.
Q. Am I still obligated to pay child support if my child graduates from high school at the age of 17? I live in MD.
A: Support continues until the child either graduates from high school, turns 19, emancipates, dies, or marries. So, no, if your child graduated from high school, then your obligation to pay should stop. But if you have a court order to pay and your wages are being garnished, you need to file to terminate the support. However, if the child is an adult disabled destitute then your obligation can last a lot longer.
Q. What can I do to see my kids even when the mother says no
A: Your question is very vague. Is there already a court order in place? Is there is a contractual agreement between you two? If there is not a court order, you need to file a complaint for access/visitation/custody. If there is a court order and she is violating it, you need to file contempt and possibly file to modify it. You do not seem to provide enough information here to accurately advise and I would suggest that you seek a consult with an attorney.
Q. In Maryland can we do our own seperation agreement
A: You not only can do your own separation agreement but if it goes to court you can represent yourself. There are no laws requiring an attorney to draft anything or an attorney to represent you. However, keep in mind, if you do not seek legal advice on drafting it or do not have an attorney draft it for you, you may very well be looking at some unintended legal ramifications because you were not aware of your legal rights regarding property, custody, alimony, etc.
Q. Does the State of MD take into consideration if noncustodial parent has custody of 3 children when doing support
A: He can ask for a deviation based on who is living in household and the expenses, but those children he has custody of will not be considered in guidelines at all.
Q. Money owed to me for child support was used by the enforcement agency to pay an economic assistence debt. Is that legal?
A: You're only recourse is to talk to your agent at the enforcement agency, DSS, social services. Everyone is assigned an agent. If you don't get anywhere with that agent then ask to speak to the supervisor. If you don't get anywhere with the supervisor then ask to speak with the Director. Go there in person and ask to speak with them. Whenever anyone is or was receiving Temporary Cash Assistance then the money is paid to the State first. At some point the State was paying you and so now the State is being paid back. Physically go talk to your child support agent.
Q. What's a formal format letter for custody to be notarized vs going thru legal court system
A: You can definitely have a notarized document regarding custody, but I would never advise that. I would advise to have an attorney draft a Parenting Agreement (access, legal custody, and physical custody). Custody is more than just where the child lays his/her head at night. it can be very complicated at times, but not all of the time. Even if the attorney drafts the agreement, it still doesn't have to be filed with the court, but at least you would have been given sound legal advice on how to draft it and all of your basis would be covered.
Q. Cancelling vacation schedule after confirming it?
A: Unfortunately, you won't get a court hearing within 2 weeks so you can't get an immediate resolution through the courts. You can however advise her that she is to STILL take your child the week that she said she was going to take your child and advise her that even though she may not be "going" on vacation, she is to stick by her word and the access schedule. If that doesn't work, you can suggest that you go to mediation within these 2 weeks and the mediator might be able to come up with a resolution. Also, as you may have non-refundable hotel rooms, in the end, it's what's best for your child and you may have to forego your own plans so that your child knows that your child will have place to go that week. More facts are really needed to asses your situation, but I would suggest that you modify your access agreement to prevent something like this from happening again.
Q. Hello, if I’ve filed for emergency modification of custody and Im not Receiving child support will they address it?
A: You need to file to terminate the child support that you were paying to mom and you need to file to establish child support for mom to pay you. They will not address child support in a custody hearing unless you also filed for child support.
Click here to see all answers