David William Jacobsen

David William Jacobsen

  • Business Law, Criminal Law, DUI & DWI...
  • Minnesota
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I enjoy going to work each day to provide great legal advice and representation to my clients. Our office assists clients in the areas of estate planning, probate, real estate, criminal law, DUI/DWI, and business law. We represents client across the state but most often our clients live in the communities of Dakota, Goodhue, and Rice County.

I live in Farmington with my wife Mariah. I am an avid Minnesota sports fan. I also enjoy golfing, fishing, camping, and traveling.

Practice Areas
  • Business Law
  • Criminal Law
  • DUI & DWI
  • Estate Planning
  • Probate
  • Real Estate Law
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Prairie Island Tribal Court
William Mitchell College of Law
J.D. | Law
Honors: Dean's list, CALI Award - Advanced Trial Advocacy
Activities: Native American Law Student Association, Real Estate Law Society, WMCL Trial Team (AAJ)
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
B.A. | Sociology - Law, Crime & Deviance
Honors: summa cum laude, phi beta kappa, dean's list
Activities: Mock Trial, Student Judicial Affairs - Student Behavior Committee Representative, Intramural Basketball
Professional Associations
Northfield Sertoma
- Current
Rice County Bar Association
- Current
Masonic Lodge 34 - Cannon Falls
Junior Warden
- Current
Osman Shrine -- Saint Paul
- Current
Kenyon Area Business Association
Past President
- Current
Minnesota State Bar Association
- Current
1st District Bar Association
- Current
Activities: (Goodhue & Dakota Counties)
Legal Answers
3 Questions Answered

Q. If I forget to tell my probation officer that i changed my address. would i get into trouble
A: It depends on the terms and conditions of probation when you were sentenced. If you are required to meet with your probation officer or are subject to random visits, it might be prudent to let him or her know where you are living sooner rather than later.
Q. We married couple in Minnesota-My credit bad-my hubby's is great-Can he legally get mortgage+house in his name only?
A: Your lender may choose to use only his credit history and employment information for underwriting purposes for the loan; however, as a married couple you will both be required to sign the mortgage.
Q. When monies get probated, who receives the money after probate? -The person listed in the will, or blood relatives?
A: A will is a testamentary document that provides where the testator wants his or her property to pass upon death. A validly executed will admitted to probate without challenge will control the distribution of the decedent's property. In Minnesota you can disinherit children but not spouses. A spouse that does not consent to a will can elect against. If a person does not have a will, or it is invalidated, the court will determine heirs based upon Minnesota intestate succession statutes. A further explanation of the probate process can be found at my blog: http://www.hjjlaw.com/2013/01/25/an-overview-of-the-probate-process-in-m... DISCLAIMER: The content provided is for general informational purposes only. Any information contained in the content should not be construed as legal advice and is not intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. You should not act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content above without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Northfield Office (Primary)
507 Division Street S.
Northfield, MN 55057
Telephone: (507) 786-9090
Wanamingo Office
200 Main Street
Wanamingo, MN 55983
Telephone: (507) 824-2221
Kenyon Office
634 Second Street
Kenyon, MN 55946
Telephone: (507) 789-6667