My law practice focuses on the prosecution and strategy associated with patents and trademarks. IP strategy, particularly patent strategy, patent portfolio audits, patent portfolio mining, and competitor portfolio analysis, is an area of particular expertise and passion, as well as product clearance, freedom-to-operate, developing invalidity positions, trademark clearance, trademark prosecution, strategic trademark portfolio maintenance, projects. I have significant experience as a design engineer and am one of the few IP attorneys that is a registered Professional Engineer (and meet the continuing education requirements to keep my registration active). Additionally, I am often retained as an IP consultant in M&A deals.
I use my training and interest in branding and trademark protection to help businesses understand and develop processes that result in strong trademark portfolios, and have a particular interest in the beauty and power of suggestive trademarks.
Since 2010 I have served on the editorial board of Landslide¨ magazine, the flagship publication of the Intellectual Property Law Section of the American Bar Association, and currently serve as the Editor-in-Chief. Past roles have included Deputy Editor-in-Chief, Intake Editor, Social Media Coordinator, Webinar Coordinator, Issue Editor, and Meeting of the Minds Editor. Additionally, I have had the pleasure of serving as an Associate Editor of the ABA Animal Law Committee publication since 2015.
I had the good fortune to be one of the first YLD IP Fellows (2008-2011) of the ABA, and in 2017 had the privilege of being elected a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, an honorary society of attorneys, judges, law faculty, and legal scholars whose public and private careers have demonstrated outstanding dedication to the highest principles of the legal profession and to the welfare of their communities. Members are nominated by their peers and elected by the Board of the American Bar Foundation.
- Intellectual Property
- US Patent and Trademark Office
- Federal Circuit
- US Intellectual Property Lawyer
- Dawsey Co. LPA (previously Gallagher & Dawsey Co. LPA)
- - Current
- Capital University Law School
- J.D. (2001) | Intellectual Property Law
- Capital University
- MBA (2000) | business, branding, strategy
- Honors: With Distinction
- Wright State University
- B.S. (1995) | Mechanical Engineering
- Honors: Magna Cum Laude
- Ohio State Bar
- Dawsey IP
- US Trademark Registration Lawyer
- After a Dry Spell, We Have Some Interesting Putter Patent Litigation
9 August 2019
- New Golf Patent Infringement Lawsuit Drops During the PGA Show
24 January 2019
- Do Any of the Major Golf Equipment Companies Have the Balls to Enter the Non-Conforming Equipment Market?
22 November 2018
- The Latest Scotty Cameron Putter “Innovation”?
13 November 2018
- “I am Just Developing a Smart Phone App; I Don’t Need to Worry About Patent Infringement.” Sure… Go With That
27 October 2018
- A Machine Learning Golf Band; Guess Who Invented It?
21 October 2018
- A Golf App That I Could Actually See Myself Using
20 October 2018
- Ugh, More of the “Kings of _____” Tagline Coming Our Way
22 September 2018
- The Origins of the Modern Adjustable Driver – Guess the Year
21 September 2018
- EatMyRubber - The Innovation of Speed
- BMW Fans Look Away
19 February 2019
- Oh the Beauty of Concept Cars…
18 February 2019
- Can You Guess the Brand Behind this Electric Vehicle Design?
17 February 2019
- Supercharged Motorcycle – Yes Please; Elephant Trunk of an Intake – No Thanks
16 February 2019
- Who’s Protecting Their Designs? WHEELS Edition – January 2019
2 February 2019
- Who’s Protecting Their Designs? WHEELS Edition – December 2018
27 December 2018
- Who’s Protecting Their Designs? WHEELS Edition – November 2018
1 December 2018
- I Love Concept Cars…
26 November 2018
- Will This Design Ever Make it to the Market? And What Would it Cost?
25 November 2018