Daniel J. Kollias' combination of experience in the real world and in the courtroom sets him apart from other attorneys. He represents clients with the goal of finding practical solutions to complex problems. Prior to starting his firm, Dan successfully owned and managed a restaurant and bar in Elmhurst for a few years before returning to the practice of law. He understands business from the perspectives of both the entrepreneur and the advocate.
Dan is at home both in the courtroom and at the negotiating table. Dan gained extensive in-court experience as a prosecutor in the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office. While there, he prosecuted countless juvenile abuse and neglect cases, and briefed and argued cases in the Appellate Court. Since 2003, he has been in private practice, focusing on family law, business planning, and estate planning.
In the field of family law, he has represented thousands of clients in cases involving divorce, allocation of parental rights, relocation, support, maintenance, business valuation, and complex property division. Dan is also well-versed in the various unique family issues which arise when one or both parties are military servicemembers, whether on active duty or in the reserves. Dan is also certified as a guardian ad litem. He is often appointed to investigate and report to the court regarding the best interests of the children in contested cases.
In the field of business planning, Dan advises clients regarding business structure, organization, succession planning, operating agreements, purchase, and sale. In the field of estate planning, Dan counsels clients on how to ensure that they and their loved ones are provided for in the event of incapacity or death, and how to minimize the effects of the estate tax. He prepares wills, trusts, and powers of attorney.
Dan is an active member of the Du Page County Bar Association, and speaks Greek fluently.
- Family Law
- Domestic Violence
- Estate Planning
- Business Law
- Free Consultation
Free 30-minute initial consultation
- Credit Cards Accepted
- United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- Kollias & Giese, P.C.
- - Current
- Mullen, Winthers & Kollias
- Law Offices of Daniel J. Kollias, P.C.
- Cook County State's Attorney's Office
- Notre Dame Law School
- University of Michigan Law School
- B.A. | Economics
- DuPage County Bar Association
- Child Custody Evaluations, Child Advocacy CLE Seminar
- Guardian ad Litem
- DuPage County Bar Association
- Daniel Kollias' Website Profile
- Kollias & Giese, P.C. Website
- DuPage County Divorce Lawyer Blog
- Modifying Child Support? When a Substantial Change in Circumstances Isn’t
18 November 2019
- Is Cigarette Smoking a Basis to Restrict Parenting Time Under Illinois Law?
28 October 2019
- The Illinois Maintenance Calculation Conundrum: 2018 v. 2019
14 October 2019
- Can My Social Security Benefits be Garnished for Child Support?
1 October 2019
- Retroactive Child Support Under Illinois Law
5 August 2019
- EGG DONOR AGREEMENTS – THERE IS NO LAW IN ILLINOIS
22 July 2019
- Case Study: Undue Hardship & the Illinois Uniform Premarital Agreement Act
8 July 2019
- What Is My “Income” for Calculating Maintenance and Child Support?
4 March 2019
- Equal Parenting Time: House Bill 4113 Returns as Illinois House Bill 185
18 February 2019