Daniel J. Eccher

Daniel J. Eccher

Levey, Wagley, Putman & Eccher, P.A.
  • Elder Law, Estate Planning, Probate ...
  • Maine
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I enjoy helping clients with estate planning and probate administration of estates. I particularly like helping people plan for long-term care while protecting their assets for their families. Let me help you and your family plan for the years ahead.

Practice Areas
    Elder Law
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
    Real Estate Law
    Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
    Business Law
    Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
1st Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
Managing Shareholder
Levey, Wagley, Putman & Eccher, PA
- Current
Eccher Law, LLC
Assistant Attorney General
Maine Office of the Attorney General
HHS Division
Associate Attorney
Weeks & Hutchins, LLC
University of Maine - School of Law
J.D. (2014) | Law
Honors: Pro Bono Publico Award
Activities: MAPIL, Health Law Association
Placeholder image for education.
Boston University
MPH (1999) | Epidemiology and Biostatistics
Boston University Logo
Vassar College
B.A. (1996) | Biology
Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
Activities: College Choir and Madrigal Singers
Placeholder image for education.
Katahdin Counsel
Maine Supreme Judicial Court
Pro Bono Publico
University of Maine School of Law
Professional Associations
American Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Maine State Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
21 Questions Answered
Q. Is a Living Trust good for me.
A: Your situation seems to lend itself to a "testamentary trust" - that is, setting up a trust for the benefit of your brother in your will. That way, your estate could benefit him for the rest of his life (if he survives you), and you could say where the remainder goes after he passes away - sort of a "win-win." You should definitely talk to a lawyer about helping you achieve your estate planning goals, especially because you do not want your nephew to inherit from you (which he likely would if you do not carefully prepare an estate plan).
Q. What do you do when a you cannot find a deceased persons deed to home and title to car?
A: In Maine, most deeds are available online at the county registry's web site: http://www.maineregistryofdeeds.com/ A replacement for a lost car title can be requested from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles: https://www.maine.gov/online/bmv/mvtr/ It may be helpful to consult with a lawyer, especially if the real estate is part of the deceased person's probate estate.
Q. My mom was married 33 years her husband passed on April 8th his son served her with eviction this week can he do that
A: It is possible that he can serve her with an eviction notice, especially if he was, in fact, added to the deed as a joint tenant before his father died. Whether the son is on the deed could be verified at the county Registry of Deeds (most records can be found online at http://www.maineregistryofdeeds.com/.) Fortunately, at least in the short term, evictions are on hold because of the new coronavirus. Beyond that, she should contact Legal Services for the Elderly at 1-800-750-5353 (www.mainelse.org) and/or Pine Tree Legal Services (which specializes in housing issues) at https://ptla.org/contact-us (the phone number would depend on her county). Both of these organizations offer free legal services. There is some question whether he was entitled to remove the safe. Under the new probate code, as his spouse, if there is no will, she would inherit everything in the probate estate (which would include anything in the safe, and the safe itself).
View More Answers
Contact & Map
161 Main St, Ste 1 - A
161 Main St, Ste 1 - A
PO Box 7
Winthrop, ME 04364
Telephone: (207) 377-6966
Fax: (207) 377-2445
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.