Free Consultation: (248) 792-2590Tap to Call This Lawyer
Daniel Hilf

Daniel Hilf

Law Offices of Hilf & Hilf, PLC
  • Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets, DUI & DWI
  • Michigan
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldBlawgsearchSocial Media

Daniel Hilf is a top rated, award winning, lawyer with over 20 years of experience inside and outside the courtroom. He is a partner in the widely respected law firm of Hilf & Hilf, PLC, specializing in the areas of criminal defense, traffic tickets, and immigration law. Daniel HIlf has tried over 100 jury trials in his legal career, and serves as a mentor to other attorneys.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • Traffic Tickets
  • DUI & DWI
  • Free Consultation
    Free Phone Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
United States District Court for Eastern District of Michigan
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Michigan State University
J.D. (1996)
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
B.A. (1991)
Top 100 Trial Lawyer
National Trial Lawyers
2013 Top 10 Attorney
National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys
10.0 Superb Lawyer
Top 100 Lawyer
American Society of Legal Advocates
Professional Associations
Articles & Publications
Getting to know: Daniel Hilf
Legal News
Speaking Engagements
Preliminary Examinations, Brown Bag Lunch Series, Oakland County Bar Association
Superb Rating 10.0
Legal Answers
11 Questions Answered

Q. Can you carry a concealed pistol in Michigan without a CPL? I heard they passed a law allowing this
A: No. This would be considered a felony offense if the person was prosecuted. Pursuant to Michigan Compiled Law 750.227 the maximum penalty for this offense is up to 5 years in prison, or a fine of not more than $2500.
Q. What's the punishment for a 25 year old female hitting a 17 year old female.
A: Presuming that there is no type of aggravating injury, the maximum penalty for assault and battery is 93 days in jail and/or up to 2 years of probation. However, the Judge is not required to impose any type of jail if a conviction occurs.
Q. How long can someone go to jail for first time domestic assault?
A: This offense carries a maximum jail sentence of 93 days in Michigan. It is recommended to hire a lawyer for this type of case.
Q. How can I find out if there is a warrant for my arrest? I've called but nobody will give me a straight answer.
A: You can either hire a lawyer to help you, or you can call the court that would have jurisdiction to see if there are any outstanding matters with your name. If you discuss the alleged facts with anyone, please be mindful that anything that you say could be used against you.
Q. How long will a DUI stay on my record if I comply with officials and do everything they say?
A: A DUI in Michigan will always remain on your criminal record and driving history. Under current Michigan law, the offense cannot be expunged.
Q. If a person has no driver's license, no insurance, has someone else plate. Also second accident just off probation. How
A: The charges are likely to be misdemeanor charges. Driving while license suspended is a 93 day misdemeanor, that can be enhanced to a 1 year maximum misdemeanor if you have a prior conviction for the same. No insurance is a 1 year maximum misdemeanor (it can be charged as a civil infraction as No Proof of Insurance). Plate violation is a 9o day maximum misdemeanor. Being in an accident is usually a civil infraction (Failure to Stop an Assured Clear Distance). How much jail you serve is at the discretion of your Judge if you are convicted. There is no mandatory minimum jail sentence for these offenses, so a Judge could elect to give you no jail time if he/she wants to. With your history a lawyer is recommended.
Q. What is the best way or how should I defend myself. How can they charge me with theft when I had No intention of it.
A: Defending yourself in court is not the right option. Hiring a lawyer to properly defend you is your best course of action. With any theft allegation the prosecution must prove intent. Any reasonable doubt concerning intent means the verdict should be not guilty. Your lawyer will be able to get all the discovery materials (police report(s), video(s), photograph(s), witness statements(s) etc.) in order to figure out why the prosecution made this accusation. You will be able to review the discovery and advise your lawyer as to the accuracy or inaccuracy of what you review. After reviewing the prosecutor's case, you and your lawyer will be able to build a defense. You and your lawyer can consider potential witness(es) and evidence that support your version of events.
Q. First DUI charge with no priors. I was pulled over for a tail light being out. I blew .003 over, but had blood taken.
A: If arrested for drunk driving in Michigan, you will be required to take a chemical test to determine your bodily alcohol content (BAC). Under Michigan's Implied Consent Law, all drivers are considered to have given their consent to this test. If you refuse a test, six points will be added to your driver record and your license, or non-resident operating privilege, will be suspended for one year. A suspension of a license, or non-resident operating privilege, is automatic for any refusal to submit to the test. This is a separate consequence from any subsequent convictions resulting from the traffic stop. If you are arrested a second time in seven years and again unreasonably refuse the test, six points will be added to your driver record and your license, or non-resident operating privilege, will be suspended for two years. If you refuse to take the test under the Implied Consent Law or if the test shows your BAC is 0.08 or more, your Michigan driver's license will be destroyed by the officer and you will be issued a 625g paper permit to drive until your case is resolved in court. The Implied Consent suspension may be appealed to the Administrative Hearings Section. The request for hearing must be mailed within 14 days of the date of arrest or your operator's or chauffeur's license and vehicle group designation or operating privilege will be automatically suspended. You are not required to have an attorney at this hearing, but an attorney may represent you if you wish. If you lose your Administrative Hearing, you can appeal that decision to the Circuit Court with jurisdiction over the case. The Circuit Court can give you a restricted license that will allow you to drive to and from work, therapy, and court. Please note - A request by a law enforcement officer or prosecutor to withdraw a report of refusal must be received by the Department no later than the date of hearing. It is recommended that you hire a lawyer to help you.
Q. What can I sue someone for as the victim of an assault and battery and larceny from a car?
A: You were the victim of an intentional tort (assault and battery) and can pursue a civil lawsuit against him. The lawsuit can be filed as a small claims matter (where you represent yourself in court), however your recovery will be limited. You, or a lawyer retained to represent you, can file a civil lawsuit to pursue this matter against him. A lawyer might be willing to represent you with an hourly fee agreement. A lawyer might be willing to handle the case on a contingency fee (the lawyer gets a percentage of the fee if you obtain a judgment). The lawyer will make a determination if your brother in law is collectable as part of a determination of whether or not a contingency fee agreement is acceptable. You should search for a lawyer in the areas of personal injury and civil litigation. If you get a judgment, it may be possible to garnish a percentage of his wages.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Law Offices of Hilf & Hilf
1775 W Big Beaver Rd
Troy, MI 48084
Telephone: (248) 792-2590
Fax: (248) 885-8996