Free Consultation: (720) 213-6204Tap to Call This Lawyer
D. Mathew Blackburn

D. Mathew Blackburn

The Law Office of D. Mathew Blackburn
  • Tax Law, Business Law
  • Colorado
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

The Law Office of D. Mathew Blackburn is a client focused firm that provides legal and tax advice in easy to understand terms. We advise business owners and individuals in tax and business law. Whether you’re an owner looking for someone that speaks the language of business, or you’ve received an IRS or state revenue agency notice that is full of dense technical language, we are here to help.

Practice Areas
  • Tax Law
  • Business Law
Additional Practice Area
  • Technology Law
  • Free Consultation
    15 or 30 Minute free phone consult.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    We also accept payment plans when possible.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
U.S. Tax Court
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
The Law Office of D. Mathew Blackburn
- Current
Robinson and Henry P.C.
Law Office of D. Mathew Blackburn
University of Denver
LL.M. (2014) | Tax
Activities: Low Income Taxpayer Clinic
Valparaiso University
J.D. (2011) | Law
Activities: Civil Clinic, Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Site Coordinator
Mississippi State University
B.B.A. (2007) | Management, Accounting, and Business Law
Professional Associations
Colorado Bar Association
- Current
Articles & Publications
Coalbed Methane Property Rights
Indiana Farm Bureau
Speaking Engagements
Colorado Fiduciary Access Act, Lone Tree
Colorado Professionals Network
Lead Counsel Certified Business, Family, & Tax Law
Lead Counsel
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
89 Questions Answered

Q. Is there a law that specifically says you have to pay income tax in Colorado?
A: Colorado Revised Statutes 39-22-104.
Q. I have a signed 8332 and divorce decree grants me to claim child on taxes. Can I still claim if I have arrears balance?
A: If the arrearages are for child support, no you can't claim the child. If it's for taxes then yes, but they'll apply any refund against the arrearages.
Q. Do the taxes I'll be filing next April reflect the government's new tax law?
A: Yes, the majority of the provisions of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 (TCJA) took effect 1.1.2018. Some did not, most notably accelerated depreciation took effect 9.27.17 and the ACA penalty is removed 1.1.19.
Q. Can my company put moving expenses that they paid for into my yearly income for tax purposes?
A: Yes, under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act relocation expenses are now taxable to the recipient whether paid on their behalf or given to the employee in cash. You also cannot deduct these expenses on your personal return unless you fall within a specific military exemption. This all went into effect 1.1.18. Even though they paid the expenses it's still income to you for tax purposes.
Q. What is the reporting form for LLC sole proprietory business?
A: Schedule C.
Q. Retail Business Space Lease
A: Yes and yes.
Q. How would I go about having a lawyer ready to use in case i every needed one.
A: It's always better if you can build a professional relationship before the disaster strikes. My suggestions would be to call them up and talk to them. Sign an agreement. Put down a retainer of an agreed upon amount. If anything happens you have a lawyer retained and they know they'll get paid. Some attorneys won't do this at all because they don't want to be responsible for representing you for whatever; they want to know what they're getting into. Others will likely charge you for file setup and admin costs of getting you in the system. I personally think that's fair. Others will charge you for simply being your attorney. That's a bit rare these days but it does still exist. The important thing is that you find someone you trust and that the two of you agree to terms and those terms are reduced to a writing. Then everyone understands the other person's expectations and obligations. I have Clients I only hear from once or twice a year, but we both know what to expect and it's a good relationship. When it's not a good relationship we discuss how we fix it or we get them setup with someone else. Start looking for attorney/s that you think you may need and reach out and start a conversation. If it doesn't feel right move on to the next one. It's going to take time. Hope that helps.
Q. Question on Retail Lease
A: File a lawsuit. If you have a contract and the other party refuses to honor the contract you take them to court and ask a judge to either make them do what they said they would do or to give you damages.
Q. Our company bid a job and now no longer has time to do it. No contract signed and contractor wants to sue for damages?
A: First off you can be sued for pretty much anything so I'd answer that with a yes. Whether there's a viable claim is another story. The fact that the potential plaintiff doesn't really have a case won't stop them from filing suit and forcing you to go through the legal process of proving they don't have a case. The first analysis is what was agreed to and what were the terms? Was there an agreement at all? If there was a agreement were there damages? Without knowing more about the bidding process, the time frame, the general contractor's reliance on the bid as a contract, the reasonableness of the sme, etc... it's very difficult to advise. I also don't think this is the forum to discuss such matters. As such I would suggest you find an attorney and arrange to discuss the matter in detail so that that attorney can advise you as to your rights, the likelihood of success if you were to be sued, and an appropriate response to communications from the Contractor.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Castle Rock
9800 Mount Pyramid Court
Ste 400
Englewood, CO 80112
Telephone: (720) 213-6204
Fax: (855) 297-3110