Clarissa Finnell

Clarissa Finnell

Schultz & Pogue LLP
  • Divorce, Family Law, Arbitration & Mediation
  • Indiana
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldSocial Media

Clarissa Finnell is an attorney in Schultz & Pogue's Family Law Practice Group. Ms. Finnell practices exclusively in the area of family law, representing clients with cases including legal separation, divorce, child support, child custody, paternity, parenting time, modification and contempt issues. She also represents clients in stepparent adoption and guardianship matters.

She has been practicing for nineteen (19) years and has extensive litigation experience managing heavy volume caseloads in complex, contested family law matters. In addition to her work as a divorce and custody litigator, Ms. Finnell is a trained collaborative attorney and can assist clients who are seeking to resolve their family law cases without going to court.

Ms. Finnell is a graduate of Indiana University, where she completed her undergraduate degree in criminal justice before earning her Juris Doctor from IU's School of Law-Indianapolis in 1997. For eight years, Ms. Finnell worked for the Indianapolis Legal Aid Society and was with another Indianapolis area family law firm where she represented clients primarily in divorce, custody and paternity cases involving father's rights. Ms. Finnell is also a Registered Domestic Mediator.

A member of the Indianapolis Bar Association, Hamilton County Bar Association, Indiana State Bar Associationa and American Bar Association.Ms. Finnell also sits as judge pro tempore for the Marion County Circuit Court-Paternity Division, usually hearing cases involving child support enforcement and paternity matters. In 2011 and 2012, Ms. Finnell was named a Rising Star by Super Lawyers magazine, an honor for attorneys under 40 that lists her as one of the top up-and-coming attorneys in Indiana.

In addition to her legal practice, Ms. Finnell volunteers her time to various pro bono and legal services including the IBA's Ask a Lawyer and "Legal Line" programs.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Arbitration & Mediation
Additional Practice Areas
  • Collaborative Law
  • Registered Domestic Relations Mediator
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English
Professional Experience
Of Counsel
Schultz & Pogue LLP
- Current
Harden Jackson Law
Jocham Harden Dimick Jackson
Senior Attorney
Cordell & Cordell
Staff Attorney
Indianapolis Legal Aid Society
Indiana University
undergraduate degree / criminal justice
Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
Rising Star
Super Lawyers
2011 and 2012
Professional Associations
American Bar Association
Central Indiana Association of Collaborative Professionals
Indianapolis Bar Association
Hamilton County Bar Association
Indiana State Bar
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
1 Questions Answered

Q. The divorce has been finalized for about 45 days. Neither party used an attorney.
A: What does your divorce decree say about payment of these debts? Is your Wife solely responsible for payment of the mortgage, student loans and credit card debt? If so, then you may have some remedies available to you through the Court that granted your divorce if she fails to pay. However, the divorce court has not jurisdiction (power) over your creditors. If your Wife defaults on a joint debt, the creditor can seek repayment from both of you. If the debt is solely in her name, then the creditors may only come after her. However, if you still have jointly owned assets the creditors may be able to come after those. I recommend that you have an attorney look over your divorce decree and nature of outstanding debts so he or she can advise you on the best course of action.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
520 Indiana Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Telephone: (317) 262-1000