Free Consultation: (816) 505-1111Tap to Call This Lawyer
Christopher Fink

Christopher Fink

Educate, Defend & Empower
  • Divorce, Criminal Law, DUI & DWI...
  • Missouri
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldSocial MediaResponsive Law

Chris has enjoyed the solo practice of law for more than 21 years. Over that span, Chris has helped thousands of clients with a variety of legal problems, including divorce, child custody, bankruptcy, personal injury settlements, paternity actions, collections matters, and many more. Chris practices in the Kansas City area serving Platte, Clay, Jackson, Buchanan and other surrounding counties. Chris resides in Platte County with his 4 children.

Growing up on corn and soybean row crop farm outside of Oregon, Missouri, Chris learned the value of hard work and small town values. A graduate of South Holt High School's Class of 1988, Chris then went on to attend college at the University of Missouri-Columbia. Upon graduating from MIZZOU in 1992 with a degree in Agricultural Journalism and a Commissioned 2nd Lieutenant in the US Army, Chris completed the Field Artillery Officer Basic Course at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma. Chris served in the Missouri Army National Guard from 1992-2000. His first assignment was as 1-129th FA Delta Battery (Truman's Own) Fire Direction Officer. Later, Chris became a Captain in the Missouri Army National Guard's Judge Advocate General Corps.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Criminal Law
  • DUI & DWI
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Bankruptcy
  • Personal Injury
  • Consumer Law
  • Employment Law
  • Free Consultation
    Free 30 minute consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Fink Law Firm KC
- Current
General practice law firm, Divorce and Child Custody, Criminal Defense, Consumer Protection, DUI, Bankruptcy, Auto Accidents & Injury
Cornerstone Law Firm
University of Missouri - Columbia
J.D. (1996) | Law
University of Missouri - Columbia
B.S. (1992) | Agricultural Journalism
Honors: Omicron Delta Kappa Honor Society
Activities: R.O.T.C., Alpha Gamma Sigma Fraternity, Marching Mizzou, Student Athletic Board
Top 25 Divorce Lawyers in Kansas City
Top 100
National Trial Lawyers
"10 Best"
American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys
Top 100 Lawyers
American Society of Legal Advocates
Top Attorney
Professional Associations
The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers # 45777
American Society of Legal Advocates
National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Atotrneys (NACBA)
National Association of Consumer Advocates
Platte County Bar Association # 45777
- Current
Clay County Bar Association # 45777
- Current
Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys # 45777
- Current
Missouri Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers # 45777
- Current
The Missouri Bar # 45777
- Current
Attorney at Law
The Missouri Bar
Websites & Blogs
Fink Law Firm KC
Legal Answers
7 Questions Answered

Q. Girlfriend signed an acknowledgement of her ex as father to her child, she now wants custody. What's the best approach?
A: Assuming he also signed the affidavit acknowledging paternity then there is a "presumption" of paternity with the ex. A "presumption of paternity" is not a declaration of paternity. A judicial determination of the father-child relationship must be established to determine each party's parental rights and obligations. As it stands, Father's rights at this time would be unenforceable. Most law enforcement agencies likely will tell either party that it is a "domestic matter" and won't get involved. It's probably in the child's best interest for her to file a Petition for Declaration of Paternity, Custody and Support in her county to get these issues resolved.
Q. How long will a divorce last, start to finish, before its finalized?
A: If the parties agree on how to divide all of their assets and debts as well as all other issues, such as parenting time and child support then it would be relatively quick. Assuming complete cooperation by both parties a divorce can be finalized within 6-8 weeks. However, if there is even one issue, such as child support, then it could last many months.
Q. What is the most common outcome of a misdemeanor probation revocation hearing for 1st violation
A: It depends on the violation and the Judge. For example, if someone on probation violates for the same offense that put that person on probation, then the Court is likely to look at it more harshly. Some Judges have a zero tolerance policy, but others may allow a defendant to remain on probation. There are generally 3 outcomes with a suspended imposition of sentence probation...1) The Judge can continue you on probation under same terms and conditions or impose additional conditions, such as community service or possibly shock incarceration; 2) The Judge can revoke the SIS probation and sentence the defendant, and then put them on a suspended execution of sentence probation; or 3) The Judge revokes probation, imposes a sentence and makes the Defendant serve the sentence. It's difficult to answer the question without knowing more information.
Q. My husband and his ex wife have joint custody over their children together. Can his Daughter live with us?
A: There are several factors the court will use in forming a parenting plan that is in the child's best interest, including the wishes of the child. There is not a statutory age in which a minor child gets to choose where she lives, however as the child matures, the Court will certainly consider the child's wishes and the reasons behind those wishes. So even though a 12 year old says they want to live with Parent A or Parent B, the more important question is what are the child's motivations to live with Parent A or Parent B. And remember that it is only one factor, not the only factor. In my experience, the school district and grades of a 5th or 6th grader are also very important. For example, a child that is a good student and otherwise doing good in school, but would be uprooted if a change in residential custody takes place, then this would be an important factor for the Court to consider as well. So if the child is doing good in school and you happen to reside in the same school district, this would increase the odds of a change in residential custody; or on the converse, if the child is not doing well in school for some reason and you reside in a different school district, perhaps this would be favorable. In order to get this question in front of the Court, your husband will need to file a Motion to Modify the parenting plan and set forth the reasons why it's in the child's best interest to reside with him.
Q. Our daughter been missing since 7-17-18. Her son has always lived with us. The other grandparents took him. Won't bring
A: You will need to file a Petition for Guardianship. The burden of proof will be on you to prove that both parents are unfit, unable and unwilling to provide for the child, which it sounds like you certainly can prove. Then the court considers the best interests of the child as to the proper guardian.
Q. My ex-husband and I have had an agreement in place for about a year with our now 2 year old son. I need too change it.
A: Yes you can have the court modify the existing judgment so long as there is a change in circumstances that is substantial and continuing. In order to do have a Judge consider changing the existing plan, you'll need to file a Motion to Modify. But it will take time to get a trial date and go through the litigation process.
Q. Ex and I have a court ordered custody agreement. She’s refusing to give him to me on my days. Can she lose her rights?
A: Your first step may be to file a Family Access Motion. This is a potential self help remedy as you do not necessarily need an attorney to file the motion. The court will expedite a hearing and can grant make up time and can impose a financial penalty to her. However, if you want to modify custody, you'll need to actually file a Motion to Modify Child Custody and you will need to hire an attorney unless you know how to represent yourself. Whether the Court will modify the parenting plan is difficult to answer as there are so many factors the court will consider, but yes it is absolutely possible to modify the existing parenting plan. Will she lose her rights? very unlikely.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Fink Law Firm KC
5555 NW Barry Road
Ste. A
Kansas City, MO 64154
Telephone: (816) 505-1111