Van’s practice is dedicated to criminal traffic defense. He has been an outspoken critic of Reckless Driving by Speed laws as applied in Virginia, and he stridently opposes the imposition of any “mandatory minimum” prison time for alcohol-related and other substance offenses. With his experience as a JAG officer, professor of law at VMI, and federal prosecutor who has tried numerous speeding and DUI cases, Van Hardenbergh brings a sharp set of skills and a history of tenacious defense to the table.
- Traffic Tickets
- DUI & DWI
- Criminal Law
- Credit Cards Accepted
- English: Spoken, Written
- University of Virginia School of Law
- J.D. (1996)
- Virginia Military Institute
- B.A. (1993) | Economics and Business
- Honors: Distinguished Graduate
- Virginia State Bar # 40834
- Van Hardenbergh's Website
- Van's Law Blog
- EPIC ROAD TRIP DO'S AND DON'TS
16 May 2019
- Is Skynet One Step Closer?
30 November 2018
- Criminal Defense Attorney Weighs in On Probable Cause Search
30 November 2018
- A New Beginning Stacks The Odds For You
21 November 2018
- The VASAP Program: If You Were Convicted of a DUI in Virginia
7 November 2018
- Don't Make These Common Errors After Being Arrested for a DUI
16 October 2018
- Handling Reckless Driving Charges as an International Student
14 September 2018
- Plea Bargaining After Being Charged With Reckless Driving
1 August 2018
- Using a Social Host Law as a Defense in a Virginia DUI Charge
30 July 2018
Most people are shocked to find out that in Virginia they can be convicted of reckless driving with no evidence whatsoever that their driving was actually reckless.The Best Approach in a Reckless Driving Speeding Case
A criminal record can cause a lot of problems for people in the future. Every application that you fill out today will generally ask a variation of the following question: Have you ever been convicted of a crime?What Common Mistake Is Made With Traffic Cases?
The most common mistake people make with their traffic case is failing to prepare for trial. An attorney knows that the only key to winning trials is thorough preparation. So...What Will a Reckless Driving Speeding Ticket Cost Me?
The cost of a reckless driving charge can really vary quite a bit. The maximum fine is $2,500, but it’s unlikely that most people will get a fine anywhere near that high.Is Reckless Driving in Virginia a Criminal Offense?
Virginia is the only state in which an 11 mile per hour speeding offense could result in a criminal charge.DUI Defense Strategies You Need to Know
There are seven defense strategies that really work in DUI cases.