Free Consultation: (630) 250-8809Tap to Call This Lawyer
Carol Cadiz

Carol Cadiz

Local Attorney - bilingual Spanish. Personalized service.
  • Real Estate Law, Arbitration & Mediation, Personal Injury
  • Illinois
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Local, easy to work with attorney helping people in the areas of personal injury, real estate closings and mediation. An informed client is a happy client, so we provide free written materials. Services available by me in Spanish also. Offices in Itasca (DuPage County) and Schaumburg (Cook County)

Practice Areas
  • Real Estate Law
  • Arbitration & Mediation
  • Personal Injury
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express
  • Contingent Fees
    Personal Injury only.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Fees and plans vary depending on service provided.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
7th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Attorney and Owner
O'Connor Cadiz Law
Injury, Real Estate and Mediation lawyer. Client focused firm- look at our reviews on Google and Avvo to see what others have to say.
DePaul College of Law
J.D. | LAW
DePaul College of Law Logo
Articles & Publications
Bankruptcy Myths Exposed
Word Association Press
The Indispensable Homeseller's Guide
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
10 Questions Answered

Q. I bought a property from someone and never received the deed. Can I sue them and get my money back for the deal?
A: There are many facts that are unclear from your question. For example, how long ago did you buy the property? Were there attorneys or a title company involved? If the closing went through all of the proper channels and you closed at the title company, they will have sent the deed to the county for recording - which can take a while. The deeds are usually then mailed back to the homeowner or to the attorney for the buyer. If you had a lawyer represent you, you should reach out to your attorney. Is it possible that the deed was recorded with the county but you simply never received a copy? This can be investigated with the recorder of deeds office in the county where the property was located. It would be wise to immediately find out who the current property owner is- according to the county. Hopefully it is you, and will just be a matter of requesting a copy of your deed. Otherwise, the situation could be more complex and you should consult with an attorney to determine next steps.
Q. I know little about this. If I file for bankruptcy and want to keep my house; can I keep my mortgage obligations?
A: There are many nuances as to whether or not you can/should keep your house, and the amount that you owe on the house compared to its value also play into the bankruptcy equation, but the simple answer to this is that if you are keeping your house, you'd continue to pay the mortgage as usual.
Q. I'm in the process of buying a condo.
A: This is impossible to say with certainty without seeing the actual contract and the reason for "breaking" the contract. Most contracts will provide certain provisions whereby it is legally OK to walk away & get your earnest money back (I assume this is what you mean) but without a legally justifiable reason (as set forth in the contract) you likely risk all of your money being LOST and- again- this is specific to the contract- but you could be sued too. Hopefully you are not trying to buy real estate without a lawyer - so best bet is to discuss any concerns that you have with your lawyer as everything I just said is very general and might not apply to your situation. Best of luck.
Q. We're told 2 get preapproval letter for house. Got it and resubmitted. Now owner wants 5 grand more?
A: There should be a contract in place and I am assuming that you don't have a lawyer- you should take the contract - if any exists- along with all correspondence, documents, etc. to a lawyer for immediate evaluation- the lawyer can tell you where things stand legally as this is not the type of issue that can be given any definitive answer online, without a thorough review of any existing paperwork and a conversation with your the realtor, seller's lawyer, etc. Good luck!
Q. Do you handle cases for Chicago ? If not can you please refer a lawyer .
A: This depends on what kind of "cases". Since you ask under "real estate law", I am wondering if you mean residential real estate closings, in which case the answer is yes.
Q. If one spouse files for bankruptcy, is it best for both to do so in order to protect/exempt jointly owned property?
A: That is going to depend on several factors, including whether or not the spouse has any debt, the value of what is owned, how many exemptions you have, etc. I see that you are in Springfield, please contact a local attorney in your area as bankruptcy is complex; they can best advise you once they have the complete picture- including income, assets, etc. Good luck.
Q. I'm a prose creditor, is my debt nondischargeable if I have a child support related judgement based upon falsification?
A: While more facts are needed and documents must be reviewed, it sounds like you might have the type of debt that is excepted from discharge in which case the appropriate steps must be taken with the court. Bankruptcy laws and family laws are complex, you need to get in to speak to a lawyer asap as there are going to be deadlines on this. Good luck.
Q. I owe 26k in credit card debt but have been unemployed for months now. Going to school next year. Bankruptcy only option
A: Its impossible to tell you your options with an online site but given your situation, it sounds like you should explore your options with a bankruptcy lawyer in your area. Good luck
Q. How to request lender take possession of property? Mortgaged property no longer primary care residence.
A: It depends on what your goal is. It sounds like you are not interested in saving your house and are willing to leave since you can no longer afford it. There may be different options available to you depending on your circumstances and what you wish to ultimately accomplish, as well as where the loan stands right now (has a foreclosure been filed? Have you stopped paying or are you at the point where going forward you won't be able to pay?). Don't forget that you are likely still going to be liable on the loan. This is a complex matter that cannot be answered on a forum. I encourage you to sit down with an attorney like myself - in your geographical area- who is familiar with debt relief and real estate matters so that you can have an in depth discussion about your options.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
O'Connor Cadiz Law
1821 Walden Office
Suite 400-A
Schaumburg, IL 60173
Telephone: (630) 250-8809
O'Connor Cadiz Law
550 E Devon Avenue
Suite 160-A
Itasca, IL 60143
Telephone: (630) 250-8813