Free Consultation: (614) 401-9873Tap to Call This Lawyer
Carl Cottone Esq

Carl Cottone Esq

Discover the Value of Cottone Law Office
  • Bankruptcy
  • New York, Ohio
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileOffers Video ConferencingQ&A
Practice Area
    Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, Debt Relief
Video Conferencing
  • Zoom
  • Free Consultation
    I guarantee that, after the consultation, you will know your legal options.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa and Mastercard / Credit or Debit
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Both Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 are flat fees.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New York
New York State Office of Court Administration
ID Number: 4896544
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Supreme Court of Ohio Office of Attorney Services
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
California State University - Los Angeles
B.S. (1992) | Computer Information Systems
Honors: Deans List
Activities: Intramural Racquetball and Baseball
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
New York State Bar
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Legal Answers
2 Questions Answered
Q. Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. Is it legal to contact other named creditors in advance of the meeting of creditors?
A: I am not aware of any bankruptcy rule or statutory provision that precludes creditors contacting or speaking with each other.
Q. My Ch. 13 Bankruptcy calls for me to turn over my Tax Refund check to the trustee.
A: Whether or not you keep the federal refund depends upon three factors 1) the basis of the refund, 2) the amount of the refund and 3) how hungry your Trustee is. If the basis of the refund is child/earned income, then the exemption covers it all. There is also a Wildcard exemption of $1,350 that can be applied to any asset. Otherwise, any refund over $1,000 is usually taken by the Trustee, but sometimes smaller amounts are taken because some Trustees will take almost any amount. Ch 7 Trustees get a flat fee for each case they administer and keep 25% of the first $5,000 or $10,000 of assets they find. No, you cannot offset what you owe the state with the federal refund. Period. I don't think the Recovery Rebate has any special exemptions, but however much is left in the Wildcard can be applied.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Cottone Law Office, LLC
195 Montague Street
14th Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Cell: (614) 401-9873
Monday: 10 AM - 4 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Wednesday: 10 AM - 4 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Friday: 10 AM - 4 PM (Today)
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Notice: Saturday and Sunday by Appointment
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.