Free Consultation: (901) 443-3936Tap to Call This Lawyer
Bob G Huddleston Jr.

Bob G Huddleston Jr.

Child Support - Child Custody - Divorce - Juvenile Law
  • Family Law, Divorce, Juvenile Law
  • Arkansas, Tennessee
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Whether your needs involve divorce, child support, child visitation, crooked home improvement companies, bill collectors who won’t leave you alone, or a criminal charge hanging over your head, let Midsouth Advocates champion your cause and fight for you in the legal arena. Don’t go it alone!

Able to provide legal assistance in Tennessee & Arkansas

Practice Areas
  • Family Law
  • Divorce
  • Juvenile Law
  • Free Consultation
    Free consultations
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Founding Attorney
Midsouth Advocates, PLLC
- Current
Midsouth Advocates works in a wide array of practice areas to better serve the Mid-South community. By modeling the practice through an association of attorneys, all our clients are more assured of the personal attention they deserve when dealing with whatever legal issue is confronting them.
University of Memphis Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law
J.D. (2017) | Law
Certificate in Advocacy
Honors: CALI Award of Excellence in Trial Advocacy
Activities: Associate Justice: Moot Court Board National Mock Trial Travel Team
University of Memphis Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law Logo
University of Memphis
B.A. (2014) | Legal & Political Philosophy
Honors: Magna Cum Laude University Honors
Activities: Mock Trial Travel Team
University of Memphis Logo
Professional Associations
State Bar of Tennessee
Placeholder image for professional associations.
National Association of Counsel for Children
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Memphis Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Tennessee Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Midsouth Advocates
Legal Answers
8 Questions Answered

Q. I have a parenting plan with my ex husband, I am concerned about travel from home to home due to COVID-19.
A: To answer your question, you have a right to seek an Emergency Protective Custody Order that may or may not be granted. Once filed, you would be set for an Emergency PCO hearing. At the hearing you would need to establish that the facts and circumstances are sufficient to lead an ordinarily prudent person to believe the child is at risk of suffering immediate harm if the current custody and visitation order is not modified appropriately. If you are successful in showing the child is at risk of immediate harm then the court will schedule an adjudication and disposition hearing on a later date, where the burden of proof changes. At that hearing you would need to establish that the facts and circumstances show "clear and convincing" evidence that the child would be at risk of harm if the custody order is not changed. If successful, a new custody and visitation order would be issued. Currently, only emergency hearings related to custody are being heard by the courts right now. Also, it is likely that the later adjudication hearing would happen only after the Tennessee Supreme Court determines it is "safe enough" for the courts to be open for in-person proceedings. At that time, I fear you would be less likely to prevail based on your initial argument asserting an immediate risk to the child. Note: You need to know this information - Nonpayment of child support is not relevant to a custody and visitation modification based on an immediate risk of harm to the child. It is however relevant to show that it MAY be your motivation in filing for the modification in the first place as a way to "punish" the father. You need to consult with a child custody/visitation lawyer if you wish to pursue this matter.
Q. I was never served papers or informed that i had to pay child support. Why are they taking from my paychecks?
A: It's possible, but unlikely, that there was not good service of process for notifying you of any child support hearing. It's likely the service of process rules were followed, you still didn't learn about the court date, and a default judgment was taken against you. It's coming out of your paycheck because, at some time, the state of Tennessee (Child Support Office) learned where you were employed and issued an "Income Assignment" to your employer to garnish your wages to pay the amount the court ordered you to pay. You may want to go to the court, get a copy of the file, show ALL the documents in the legal file to a lawyer in your area to verify whether service was good or not, and to, perhaps, discuss likely outcomes of filing a Petition to Modify the child support Order.
Q. Why does my kids dad wife have the right to have insurance on our kids? Yes he works
A: A stepparent may take out insurance policy on the children of their spouse as the children are considered dependents of the biological parent and that person's spouse (at least for insurance purposes). She has custodial/guardianship rights and obligations granted by the stepparent relationship, but those rights are not the same as the "superior parental rights" held only by the biological parents. There's marital property and separate property in Tennessee, as Tennessee is not a "community property" jurisdiction. You should probably hire an attorney in your area for a consultation on the issue to help sort out the different issues you're trying to address here. Regards, Bob Huddleston
Q. Hello my kids dad is married. Do the child support count both of their incomes since they're married?
A: Only your income and his income is included in the calculation. His wife's income is not included. No, you cannot take his wife to court because she has no legal rights or responsibilities to your child.
Q. I had a order of protection on my husband due to domestic violence. That has since expired and he’s off probation and
A: Violating a court order opens you up to potential criminal and civil contempt. I would advise you to speak to your legal aid attorney about those risks so you can make a fully informed decision about whether to possibly risk 1) you going to jail for contempt of court, and 2) a court order modifying visitation so that the father gets more visitation with your son than he currently.
Q. Will it go against the father of our child not allowing our 4 year old to have a phone conversation with his momma
A: Petition the court for a modification of the visitation order to allow phone calls as the child can now speak on the phone when he wasn't able to when he was only six months old, more readily allowing you to maintain and strengthen the parental bond with your child.
Q. Can I call the police if my 18 yr old ran away in Memphis,tn?
A: If your child is 18, then they wouldn't legally be considered a "runaway" as defined by Tennessee law dealing with delinquent or unruly children. Of course you CAN call the police and file a missing persons report in order to try to find out if they are at least alive and safe.
Q. My husband is in jail for child support in one county an he has a hold on him in another county
A: Was the incarceration because of the child support issue from a civil or criminal contempt? The child support issues, regardless of whether incarceration was civil or criminal, are completely separate from any other issues causing him to be held in jail. However, it seems unlikely that either a criminal or civil contempt for child support would result in even six months of incarceration in Tennessee. The underlying charges are probably the more pressing issues. If there are no issues other than child support, then I don't have enough information from your question to give you a meaningful answer.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Midsouth Advocates, PLLC
242 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38103
Telephone: (901) 443-3936
Midsouth Advocates PLLC
4151 Ridgemoor Avenue
Memphis, TN 38118
Telephone: (901) 443-3936