Free Consultation: (717) 234-2401Tap to Call This Lawyer
Alexander Palutis

Alexander Palutis

Pa. Workers' Comp Certified Specialist
  • Workers' Compensation
  • Pennsylvania
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileOffers Video ChatQ&A

I am a Certified Pennsylvania Workers' Compensation Law Specialist representing injured workers and their families in all areas of Pa. Workers' Compensation Law throughout the State of Pennsylvania.

I was raised in a union household. My mother served as President of a Pennsylvania Statewide Teacher’s Union and as member of their board of directors for 25 years.

After graduating with honors from Georgetown University in 1983 and The University of Pittsburgh School of Law in 1987, I was a law clerk for The Honorable Genevieve Blatt at the Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania. Judge Blatt was the first woman elected to statewide office in Pennsylvania and the first woman to sit as a Pennsylvania appellate judge. While having the honor of clerking for Judge Blatt, I learned the value of our court system’s availability to protect the rights of injured workers and their families.

In 2017, I was again selected as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer in the area of workers’ compensation. Considered among the best lawyers in their profession, Super Lawyers represent the top five percent (5%) of practicing attorneys in Pennsylvania and are selected by their peers in an extensive nomination and polling (36,000 ballots) process conducted by Law and Politics.

I offer a unique perspective in representing the injured worker in Pennsylvania. I have 25 years’ experience representing employers and insurance companies. I know how they think. I know their strategies. I know their tactics. I can offer the Pennsylvania injured worker my experience and knowledge to fight against these big companies and for the rights of injured workers and their families.

Practice Area
  • Workers' Compensation
Video Chat and Conferencing
  • FaceTime
  • Free Consultation
    I provide three (3) hours for an initial consult either at my office , your home or any other convenient location for the client.
  • Contingent Fees
    I only get paid when you get paid. You will never receive a bill from me.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Spanish: Spoken
Professional Experience
Law Clerk to the Honorable Genevieve Blatt
Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh School of Law
J.D. (1987)
University of Pittsburgh School of Law Logo
Georgetown University
B.A. (1983) | American Government
Honors: Cum Laude
Georgetown University Logo
Professional Associations
Pennsylvania State Bar # 50059
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Interplay between Pa. Workers' Act and the Pa. Heart & Lung Act, Tough Problems in Pa. Workers' Compensation 2017, Mechanicsburg,Pa.
Pennsylvania Bar Institute
Certified Specialist in Pa. Workers' Compensation Law
Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
Websites & Blogs
4 Steps to Take When You are Injured at Work in Pa.
Legal Answers
15 Questions Answered

Q. Still working after injury. Must I use accrued PTO for WorkersComp Dr. appointments? Will WorkersComp reimburse my PTO?
A: If you are not able to schedule your doctor’s appointment before or after work and you have an accepted Pa Workers’ Compensation Claim, then your employer would need to pay you Partial Wage Loss Benefits for the time you miss from work due to your attending the appointments. You should be able to receive Workers’ Compensation Benefits rather than using your PTO each time you miss work to treat for your work injury. It is best to consult with Pa Board Certified Workers’ Compensation Attorney. The facts of each case are different and the results will vary from case to case. Best of luck to you.
Q. What happens if your Employer doesn't report your work-related injury to the State Worker's Comp Board?
A: Your employer is required to report your work injuries to their insurance company and the State. There are several reporting requirements for both the employer and the injured worker. Therefore, I recommend that you contact a Board Certified Workers’ Compensation Attorney to discuss your circumstances in greater detail. Most attorneys will provide a free consultation. If you have suffered a work injury and your employer is being less than cooperative , then it is certainly time for you to consult with an attorney.
Q. Can the insurance company schedule an IME with a dr that is I’ve 90 minutes from my home?
A: Yes, the insurance company can schedule this exam that far away from your home. They must, however, provide transportation to and from the IME. If this presents a hardship, you can request the insurance company schedule an IME closure to your home. But, in all likelihood, you should contact a Board Certified Pa Workers’ Compensation Attorney in your area for assistance in making such a request. There are many factors that need to be considered with the scheduling of an IME. As such, a consult with an Attorney is recommended. Best of Luck.
Q. can employer change your hours to suit them?
A: As long as your restrictions from your doctor allow for flexibility in scheduling hours for work, then a change in hours would likely be acceptable for an injured worker back to work after a work injury. However, there are circumstances where the change in hours may make your ability to continue working intolerable. As such, you should contact a Certified Workers’ Compensation Specialist in Pa Workers’ Comp Law. Most lawyers offer free consultations Good Luck with your health and your working situation.
Q. i was placed on light duty awaiting surgery on my shoulder. There is really no light duty. What can I do?
A: You should make certain to report your injury as work related. That will insure that your employer reports this to their Workers’ Compensation Insurance Cartier. If they investigate and accept your claim, then Workers’ Compensation will cover your wage loss and medical bills. You may not have to use your personal time if you lose more time from work due to the injury. It is best to consult with a Certified Workers’ Compensation Attorney in your area. Best of Luck !!
Q. If a claim was made but not filed in may,my 3yrs expired this may,am I still eligible for Workers comp
A: Unfortunately, there is a 3 year statute of limitations for filing a claim petition under the Pa Workers’ Comp Act Section 315. If you never filed a claim or received any benefits within 3 years of your date of injury, then any claim you would make now would be bared by this statute of limitations.
Q. When I receive my accident lawsuit payment - do I have to: (1) PAY Workmans Comp, back the monetary settlement they gave
A: You are best served by following the advise of your attorney. If you would like a second opinion, you should directly contact a Pa Workers’ Compensation Certified Law Specialist in your area. Generally speaking, the employer and its workers’ compensation insurance company have an absolute right of subrogation against all recoveries in a third-party legal action arising out of the work injury for which the employer has paid or continues to pay workers’ compensation benefits. This can be found in Section 319 of the Pa Workers’ Compensation Act. The purpose of this section of the Act is to prevent a double recovery of damages arising out of the same incident. Again, you are best served to seek the advise of an attorney through direct contact as these issues are very complex and too numerous to expand upon in this setting. Good luck with your case.
Q. Is it true that in Pennsylvania you don’t get paid the first week out of work on workers comp
A: I agree with the answer previously provided. I would just add that there is , however , no waiting period for partial disability benefits in Pennsylvania. For example, should you miss some work due to the injury during the first or second week after your work injury and , as such, you have decreased wages, then you are immediately entitled to partial benefits reflecting 2/3 of the lost wages. I’m referring to not being totally placed out of work but still missing some hours or days for recovery or attendance at doctor’s appointments, as examples.
Q. Does worker's comp pay lost wages for attending physical therapy during work hours?
A: Most times, it is preferred by workers’ compensation insurance companies that you attend P.T. during non-work hours. However, if your circumstances are such that this is not possible, then arguably you are entitled to seek partial disability benefits for the wages lost during a week where you are not paid by the employer due to your attending P.T. during the work day. These situations are very fact specific. It is recommended that you consult with a Pa. Workers’ Compenstion Law Specialist to discuss the specific circumstances of your situation.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Smigel,Anderson & Sacks
4431 North Front Street
Harrisburg, PA 17110
Telephone: (717) 234-2401
Cell: (717) 439-6459
Fax: (717) 234-3611